LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

2014 NFL Combine

• buck
  • Veteran
Fresno State QB Derek Carr is unsure if he will throw at the NFL Combine.

Former NFL scout John Middlekauff astutely pointed out that Carr's older brother, David, did not throw at his Combine either. Derek has been working closely with David throughout his draft process. The Fresno State product said he will know for sure closer to the event, after he talks with his agent and those close with him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/29687/derek-carr-unsure-if-he-will-throw-at-combine

I think not throwing at the Combine would be a mistake.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
throwing at the combine is pretty much a joke anyway. the combine coaches need to do a better job coming up with a few, simple, evaluative passing tests just to record a QBs ability to throw at different arm angles, various ball loft angles, velocity at a set throw distance, gracefulness of footwork under duress, etc. forget all the critical eyes looking at their accuracy with fellow combine receivers--it's always going to be substandard; just look at their game film for accuracy.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xcfan:
throwing at the combine is pretty much a joke anyway. the combine coaches need to do a better job coming up with a few, simple, evaluative passing tests just to record a QBs ability to throw at different arm angles, various ball loft angles, velocity at a set throw distance, gracefulness of footwork under duress, etc. forget all the critical eyes looking at their accuracy with fellow combine receivers--it's always going to be substandard; just look at their game film for accuracy.

I am not sure that throwing at the combine is a joke.

But, I am no expert, so........maybe
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 44s If you like speed, some good news: #Clemson WR Sammy Watkins will do all drills at the Combine. Should be a fascinating 40-yard dash
Originally posted by valrod33:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 44s If you like speed, some good news: #Clemson WR Sammy Watkins will do all drills at the Combine. Should be a fascinating 40-yard dash

From a blurb under the heading "The Scout's Report" about halfway down Matt Miller's 01/23 Bleacher Report article:

— Former Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins is training for the NFL Scouting Combine. Upon running his first 40-yard dash, his trainers told him he "didn't need to work on that anymore." Watkins' speed should make for a fun week in Indianapolis.

Link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1932194-2014-nfl-draft-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-for-senior-bowl-week#articles/1932194-2014-nfl-draft-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-for-senior-bowl-week
Originally posted by valrod33:

he's gonna be a beast
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
he's gonna be a beast

Yeah, but it will not be for us.

I think Watkins is a top 5 pick.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
he's gonna be a beast

Yeah, but it will not be for us.

I think Watkins is a top 5 pick.

makes me sad
  • buck
  • Veteran
Sammy Watkins should be class of WRs at 2014 combine

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325256/article/sammy-watkins-expected-to-shine-at-nfl-scouting-combine

While you read this pay attention to Anquan Boldin--it just seems strange the way he is used as example in this article.
  • buck
  • Veteran
this dude is someone to watch at the combine

Small school Starr ready to shine at NFL scouting combine

Starr should turn heads at the combine, not just for the long blonde hair that he hasn't cut since his freshman year at USD.

Starr says he has clocked a three-cone drill time of 6.29 in his training sessions in Tennessee.

For comparison's sake, the fastest time in Indy last year was 6.52 by cornerback Will Davis from Utah. Oregon WR Jeff Maehl clocked a 6.42 in 2011, which the NFL considers its recent best. The fastest time by a linebacker last year was 6.71 by Mizzou's Zavier Gooden.

"Tyler's mobility for his size is unbelievable," said Scott Reall at D1 Sports Training in Tennessee, who has worked with Starr the past two months. "Once I've been able to teach him proper technique and steps, he's been brushing all-time records in the [three-cone] L-drill. His ability to explode off a change of direction and not lose a lot of time is remarkable. He is just so explosive. The first time everybody saw it here, people were like 'Holy crap!'"

Reall,who is also training more than a dozen other football players including guys from the SEC and Big Ten, says Starr's 6.29 time is legit. "I timed it myself twice, and also had another coach time it and he hit the same number."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/bruce-feldman/24441428/small-school-starr-ready-to-shine-at-nfl-combine

Starr, projected to a 6th or 7th round pick, is 6-4 and weighs 250.

If he can run a 6.5 3-cone drill he is going to make himself some money.

Not bad for a guy playing football in vermillion, South Dakota.

• thl408
How do you draftniks scout college players? Is it all YouTube clips or is there a way to access all22 of college game film? I'd love to see some all22 of college games to watch some of these prospects play. Especially the CBs and WRs.
Originally posted by buck:
this dude is someone to watch at the combine

Small school Starr ready to shine at NFL scouting combine

Starr should turn heads at the combine, not just for the long blonde hair that he hasn't cut since his freshman year at USD.

Starr says he has clocked a three-cone drill time of 6.29 in his training sessions in Tennessee.

For comparison's sake, the fastest time in Indy last year was 6.52 by cornerback Will Davis from Utah. Oregon WR Jeff Maehl clocked a 6.42 in 2011, which the NFL considers its recent best. The fastest time by a linebacker last year was 6.71 by Mizzou's Zavier Gooden.

"Tyler's mobility for his size is unbelievable," said Scott Reall at D1 Sports Training in Tennessee, who has worked with Starr the past two months. "Once I've been able to teach him proper technique and steps, he's been brushing all-time records in the [three-cone] L-drill. His ability to explode off a change of direction and not lose a lot of time is remarkable. He is just so explosive. The first time everybody saw it here, people were like 'Holy crap!'"

Reall,who is also training more than a dozen other football players including guys from the SEC and Big Ten, says Starr's 6.29 time is legit. "I timed it myself twice, and also had another coach time it and he hit the same number."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/bruce-feldman/24441428/small-school-starr-ready-to-shine-at-nfl-combine

Starr, projected to a 6th or 7th round pick, is 6-4 and weighs 250.

If he can run a 6.5 3-cone drill he is going to make himself some money.

Not bad for a guy playing football in vermillion, South Dakota.

I have him in my mock draft really liking him...hopefully he stayz under tha radar N we can get him ....
Originally posted by thl408:
How do you draftniks scout college players? Is it all YouTube clips or is there a way to access all22 of college game film? I'd love to see some all22 of college games to watch some of these prospects play. Especially the CBs and WRs.

It's not an All-22 format, but you can watch ESPN broadcast games here during the season. I use that plus watch entire games (not just clips) going back a few years either on YouTube or other video channels. Watching entire games gives you much more context on a player.

For example, I really liked what I saw from Rice CB Phillip Gaines in some clips (Cortland Finnegan-type, IMO) and noticed that he was one of the top defenders in college football in 2012 regarding passes broken up (2nd only to Dee Milliner) and passes defended. But I noticed the stats in the 2013 Liberty Bowl that MSU star WR Jameon Lewis torched Rice for 9 catches and 220 yards. I had to see for myself how much of that was on Gaines.

Turns out, none of it was on Gaines. After a few series of Gaines blanketing Lewis for zero catches, MSU moved him to the slot and away from Gaines' press coverage. He proceeded to light it up until the game was out of reach. But the only time Gaines was tested after they moved Lewis away from him, Gaines made a great play and batted the ball away. Essentially, they threw away from Gaines because his initial coverage on their top WR was perfect.

What I saw in that particular game is a guy who plays really good press coverage, has long arms to ride WRs off the LOS and enough speed to run down the field with them. He also breaks and the ball very quickly and isn't afraid to come up and play the run. He needs work on his tackling though, but that could be said about a lot of college corners.

That's just one game, but after you see a handful of actual competitive games (not ones against Alviso St.), you begin to build a picture of what a guy can do, what he can't do and how he impacts the game.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 14, 2014 at 1:26 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by thl408:

It's not an All-22 format, but you can watch ESPN broadcast games here during the season. I use that plus watch entire games (not just clips) going back a few years either on YouTube or other video channels. Watching entire games gives you much more context on a player.

For example, I really liked what I saw from Rice CB Phillip Gaines in some clips (Cortland Finnegan-type, IMO) and noticed that he was one of the top defenders in college football in 2012 regarding passes broken up (2nd only to Dee Milliner) and passes defended. But I noticed the stats in the 2013 Liberty Bowl that MSU star WR Jameon Lewis torched Rice for 9 catches and 220 yards. I had to see for myself how much of that was on Gaines.

Turns out, none of it was on Gaines. After a few series of Gaines blanketing Lewis for zero catches, MSU moved him to the slot and away from Gaines' press coverage. He proceeded to light it up until the game was out of reach. But the only time Gaines was tested after they moved Lewis away from him, Gaines made a great play and batted the ball away. Essentially, they threw away from Gaines because his initial coverage on their top WR was perfect.

What I saw in that particular game is a guy who plays really good press coverage, has long arms to ride WRs off the LOS and enough speed to run down the field with them. He also breaks and the ball very quickly and isn't afraid to come up and play the run. He needs work on his tackling though, but that could be said about a lot of college corners.

That's just one game, but after you see a handful of actual competitive games (not ones against Alviso St.), you begin to build a picture of what a guy can do, what he can't do and how he impacts the game.

Thanks. I was searching around and it seems CBS provides the all22 feed during its live broadcast (SEC games only), but nothing archived, which sucks since I am not be able to watch college games live (personal schedule). Props to you draftnik dudes for providing good insight into the draft prospects.
  • buck
  • Veteran
SCOUTING COMBINE PREVIEW

87% of the 252 players selected at the 2013 draft participated in last February's scouting combine.

players who attended the combine as a percentage of those actually drafted has been remarkably constant at around 85% over the past few years. the vast majority of players taken in the early rounds of recent drafts have been combine invitees, while almost all drafted players who had not been invited to the combine have been chosen in the later rounds.

of the 333 players at the 2013 combine, 66% were ultimately drafted, another figure that has been remarkably consistent in recent years.

That figure, though, does vary on a year-by-year basis for different positions. In 2010, for example, TEs, defensive linemen and OTs attending the combine had a better than average likelihood of ultimately being drafted, while in 2011 CBs who attended the combine were the most likely to be drafted. Then in 2012, almost 90% of OLBs that attended the combine were drafted.

In 2013, the position of choice among those attending the combine were the defensive linemen. Indeed, 27 of 31 (87%) of DEs invited to Indianapolis were ultimately drafted, while the figure was 84% (21 of 25) among the DTs.

In fact, the only other position with a draft rate over 70% were the defensive backs, 72% of whom were ultimately selected at the 2013 draft. Meanwhile, the figure for other positions ranged from 68% for the TEs to 58% for the OGs, while the figure was 73% for the QBs, 61% for the RBs, 63% for the WRs, 65% for the OTs and 64% for the LBs.

http://www.gbnreport.com/combinepreview.html
[ Edited by buck on Feb 17, 2014 at 11:51 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone