LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

2014 NFL Combine

Originally posted by buck:
We have good defensive coaches that can work with him, if he can get his head straight.

If Fangio and Donatell want to draft Roby, then draft him. If they do not like Roby, do not draft him.

Big if.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Our guys like big corners... what don't ya'll understand about that?

Which is why they finished the season with 2 5'10" corners starting on the outside. Stop with your spreading the wisdom nonsense, if anything Baalke has shown that he'll go out and get any highly talented player for this team. Fangio doesn't have the corners playing a lot of press man so the whole size thing is greatly overrated, more valuable is agility and back-pedaling ability.

The way it was first told is that the 49ers liked big physical players at any position. Now its just corners.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Big if.

I should have done this IF.
The way it was first told is that the 49ers liked big physical players at any position. Now its just corners.

Baalke has shown the ability to buck conventional wisdom in terms of acquiring highly talented players. Bowman wasn't an ideal guy, he's only 6 feet tall, but the 49ers went after him anyways. LaMichael James is not big or physical in anyway. Trent Robinson, a smaller safety/nickel corner...etc.
We have good defensive coaches that can work with him, if he can get his head straight.

If Fangio and Donatell want to draft Roby, then draft him. If they do not like Roby, do not draft him.

Big if.

Who are you again? How do you know what's going on in the kids head? You're just another guy regurgitating the latest flavor of the month rhetoric. "Roby has red flags, blah blah blah, can't be fixed".
Who are you again? How do you know what's going on in the kids head? You're just another guy regurgitating the latest flavor of the month rhetoric. "Roby has red flags, blah blah blah, can't be fixed".

I'm far from the only one. I don't have to know whats in his head to know that he was off this season. Was it an injury issue? A bad year, maybe his girlfriend dumped him...etc......or is he really just not as good as advertised and will struggle to put it all together at the NFL level.
Our guys like big corners... what don't ya'll understand about that?

Terrell Brown: 5'10 193
Tramaine Brock: 5'10 197

Looks like they're ok with small corners too.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

Eric Wright is also 5'10".
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by DeUh:
Anyone who dont want him because of his size is just out of his mind ! Dont trust my words ? See for yourself !

Verrett 5-9
Vertical 39"

McGill 6-3
Vertical 39"

Well the vertical has more to do with weight than height.

What those numbers show is that Verret jumps as high as McGill !

Well, yes and no. He's still starting from 6 inches lower, so his 39 inches is still 6 inches lower than McGill's 39 inches. Not making a judgement on who's better or the better fit, just doing the math.

They jump up and try to reach as high as they can. Their fingertips both reached the same height, not their toes.

That said, he did bring in Perrish Cox (6'0") and drafted Marcus Cooper late (6'2ish). I think there's an effort to get bigger at CB to a certain extent, but not necessarily Seattle-like.

Originally posted by Butter:
They jump up and try to reach as high as they can. Their fingertips both reached the same height, not their toes.

This. 39 inches is 39 inches, period.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
What are your peoples thoughts on Terrence Brooks week at the combine ? I think he looked very smooth in the drills today. Kinda like the idea of him on our roster. I think he is better than Dahl and could also be a terrific ST player. Which would open up another roster spot as we could cut Dahl and ( Ventrone ).

For anyone who dont know him.

5-10 198
Arm length 31
40-time 4.42
Vertical 38"

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

That said, he did bring in Perrish Cox (6'0") and drafted Marcus Cooper late (6'2ish). I think there's an effort to get bigger at CB to a certain extent, but not necessarily Seattle-like.

Morris beat out Cooper...hmm...or was it a matter of not being able to slip Cooper to the PS?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 25, 2014 at 3:27 PM ]

Because the 49ers don't play the same sort of defense. I do think if they can get a bigger cornerback with the same amount of talent, they will but I don't see an aversion to drafting a smaller player like some do. Talent>>>>size, every team.

Rogers (6'0") And then we drafted Culliver (6'0") and brought in Asomugha (6'2"). I don't want to be like Seattle... I just want great players. But Harbaalke clearly prefers larger players. Brock was undrafted, right? Simply a dude that played his way onto the team due to effort and injuries. Brown was a holdover from the old days, but he's still played his ass off. Point is if we're drafting high it seems we want a specimen, especially on defense.
Share 49ersWebzone