There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jarvis Landry-WR-LSU

4.77 40 which was the worst of the group and 28.5 inch vertical which was 2nd worst but guess what the guy is a football player. He will probably fall from early to mid 2nd to late 2nd but I'll still gladly take him with KC's or our pick. Every year we see all these guys light up the combine and they are out of the league in no time. Every year we see guys with bad numbers fall yet still go on to out produce all these physical specimens. A lot of the greatest receivers to ever play didn't run fast 40's. Not saying that's what Landry will be but I just think he is a good solid football player who will fit us well. Give me a good football player who proves it on the field over a physical specimen who is boom or bust. Too many bad teams take risks with guys like that and that's why they are at the bottom. Only one out of 5-10 work out instead of just taking the guy who produces and is a good football player which will keep your team relevant. I'm sure Harbaugh will be the first to say you can never have enough good football player type guys. Guys who go out do their jobs, keep their mouth shut, do what they are told and do what's best for the team.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 23, 2014 at 1:27 PM ]
  • pfizz
  • Member
  • Posts: 171
would not hesitate to grab him. could care less what he does at the combine the kid is a stud and football player.
[ Edited by pfizz on Feb 23, 2014 at 1:32 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
4.77 40 which was the worst of the group and 28.5 inch vertical which was 2nd worst but guess what the guy is a football player. He will probably fall from early to mid 2nd to late 2nd but I'll still gladly take him with KC's or our pick. Every year we see all these guys light up the combine and they are out of the league in no time. Every year we see guys with bad numbers fall yet still go on to out produce all these physical specimens. A lot of the greatest receivers to ever play didn't run fast 40's. Not saying that's what Landry will be but I just think he is a good solid football player who will fit us well. Give me a good football player who proves it on the field over a physical specimen who is boom or bust. Too many bad teams take risks with guys like that and that's why they are at the bottom. Only one out of 5-10 work out instead of just taking the guy who produces and is a good football player which will keep your team relevant. I'm sure Harbaugh will be the first to say you can never have enough good football player type guys. Guys who go out do their jobs, keep their mouth shut, do what they are told and do what's best for the team.



This. I don't know how many recall just how bad Boldin was at the Combine, disaster would be putting it kindly, but he worked his ass off, improved at the Pro Day and while he fell out of his expected first round slotting, I don't think the Cardinals had any regrets about taking him in the 2nd round.
no thanks...we already have 2 very good "football players" @ WR. We need someone that can help move a safety back and/or help in the redzone.
Originally posted by random49er:
no thanks...we already have 2 very good "football players" @ WR. We need someone that can help move a safety back and/or help in the redzone.

Except Boldin is already up there in years, receivers take time to develop so it makes sense to bring in someone that will eventually replace Boldin potentially as well. I'd still be happy with Landry and then someone like Herron, Archer, Janis...etc.
Originally posted by random49er:
no thanks...we already have 2 very good "football players" @ WR. We need someone that can help move a safety back and/or help in the redzone.

Fair enough and I know some people want a burner and/or red zone threat. I would have no problem if we took one of those guys I just worry about Roman being able to use a speed guy like Cooks or Archer. Roman doesn't have the best red zone play calling record either.


Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. I don't know how many recall just how bad Boldin was at the Combine, disaster would be putting it kindly, but he worked his ass off, improved at the Pro Day and while he fell out of his expected first round slotting, I don't think the Cardinals had any regrets about taking him in the 2nd round.

And he still could have a good pro day and go back up but either way I think our staff/GM look at the game tape and don't get caught up in the combine like some teams do. Also, going back to some of those amazing gif catches you wouldn't think the guy has a 28.5 inch vertical. You can have a 45 inch vertical but if you can't time the ball right and you can't control your body it won't matter. Not a lot of guys can control their body like Landry.
Jarvis Landry would be my consolation pick if we pass or Jordan Matthews or he is already gone. Landry is a guy where I could care less what he runs or whatever else he does at the Combine. He also in my opinion, fits into the drafting style of Trent Baalke. They look at tape and Jarvis Landry jumps off the screen to you when you watch him play. If we weren't already going to resign Boldin, I'd be totally in favor of drafting him and Matthews, but I'll settle for one or the other.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,135
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
4.77 40 which was the worst of the group and 28.5 inch vertical which was 2nd worst but guess what the guy is a football player. He will probably fall from early to mid 2nd to late 2nd but I'll still gladly take him with KC's or our pick. Every year we see all these guys light up the combine and they are out of the league in no time. Every year we see guys with bad numbers fall yet still go on to out produce all these physical specimens. A lot of the greatest receivers to ever play didn't run fast 40's. Not saying that's what Landry will be but I just think he is a good solid football player who will fit us well. Give me a good football player who proves it on the field over a physical specimen who is boom or bust. Too many bad teams take risks with guys like that and that's why they are at the bottom. Only one out of 5-10 work out instead of just taking the guy who produces and is a good football player which will keep your team relevant. I'm sure Harbaugh will be the first to say you can never have enough good football player type guys. Guys who go out do their jobs, keep their mouth shut, do what they are told and do what's best for the team.



This. I don't know how many recall just how bad Boldin was at the Combine, disaster would be putting it kindly, but he worked his ass off, improved at the Pro Day and while he fell out of his expected first round slotting, I don't think the Cardinals had any regrets about taking him in the 2nd round.

But didn't he have a calf injury and had to check outta the combine cause of it?? I'm guessing the 4.77 is due to injury, no way he runs that slow. But hell it doesn't even matter, hes a baller I could careless where the 9ers get him....just get him!!!
Originally posted by pfizz:
would not hesitate to grab him. could care less what he does at the combine the kid is a stud and football player.

In the SEC opposite Odell Beckham Jr. A guy who's slower than most tight ends, is under 6 feet tall & has no vertical isn't going to be able to get open in the NFL on any regular basis. He'll be lucky to make a team much less be a good WR.

It's not like he ran a 4.6 & is one of the slower guys; he ran a 4.77. That's fast... for an offensive lineman.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Feb 23, 2014 at 7:10 PM ]
I'm just dumbfounded how he ran that slow. I can clearly see he doesn't play that slow but what the hell? Did inject cement into the soles of his shoes?
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by pfizz:
would not hesitate to grab him. could care less what he does at the combine the kid is a stud and football player.

In the SEC opposite Odell Beckham Jr. A guy who's slower than most tight ends, is under 6 feet tall & has no vertical isn't going to be able to get open in the NFL on any regular basis. He'll be lucky to make a team much less be a good WR.

It's not like he ran a 4.6 & is one of the slower guys; he ran a 4.77. That's fast... for an offensive lineman.

Bill Polian, Mickey Loomis and Todd McShay would disagree with you about Landry.

"It'd be hard for me to believe that's his real time, having seen him play," said Bill Polian, an ESPN analyst who is a former general manager of the Colts, winners of Super Bowl XLI. "That aside, it's only important if he doesn't come back and do a lot better at his Pro Day," which for LSU is scheduled for April 9.

Fortunately for Landry, NFL teams are wary about putting "too much stock in terms of things (they) see here (from players) in shorts and T-shirts," as Saints GM Mickey Loomis put it earlier in the week.

Teams don't simply discard prospects who underperform in a drill. A situation such as Landry's from Sunday instead prompts clubs' area scouts and personnel departments to begin investigating why what they had seen on tape didn't mirror what actually happened at the combine.

"If you get a number that doesn't stack up — you think a guy should run a 4.4 and he runs a 4.6 — you've got to figure out why," ESPN draft expert Todd McShay said. "In the big picture, I think the tape is 80 percent" of what teams use to evaluate a draft prospect's value.
He does look faster than 4.77 with the ball in his hands after the catch. His feet are quick to make the cuts. He plays faster than 4.77.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Bill Polian, Mickey Loomis and Todd McShay would disagree with you about Landry.

Those people are paid to fill air time. Media personalities are about the most gutless people on planet earth. They're almost always going to say whatever sounds nice & PC.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Those people are paid to fill air time. Media personalities are about the most gutless people on planet earth. They're almost always going to say whatever sounds nice & PC.

I was with you until you said he wouldn't be drafted. The guy produced in the SEC without speed or size so he must have something. His toughness has been compared to Hines Ward and while that may be an exaggeration, this is a tough receiver with great hands. Wes Welker has terrible measurables - he's much smaller than Landry and ran a 4.65 at his pro day (a number Landry might get closer to) and he has been successful in this league. I'd be the first person to point out that a lot of Welker's success is due to his quarterbacks, but there is a place in this league for guys like Welker and possibly Landry. He'll be taken in the 4th round at the latest and could move up if he improves at his pro day.

To be fair, Landry would not have put up agility numbers like Welker if he did the 3 cone drill and 20 yard shuttle, but you would have said the same thing about Welker. Landry probably has better hands coming out and he's physically much bigger. His hands are also very big (10 1/4") and his drop rate was around 2%.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Feb 23, 2014 at 8:03 PM ]
I think the only thing he hurt today was his pride..

Wasnt even man enough to admit it, for shame.