LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

Jarvis Landry-WR-LSU

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I haven't seen a class so deep at WR in ages. I also don't know of a term for it, but there's a particular quality I like about WRs that I think many of these guys have. I'm less of a Megatron/Alshon/Dez guy, and always been more into Steve Smith, Anquan, Larry, Heinz Ward, Jordy Nelson, etc. Guys that make big plays at big times, pick up key first downs, bring a LB mentality to the WR position, and can catch the football. My problem with the superstar WR (AJ, Megatron, Dez, Alshon, Marshall, etc) in today's NFL, is the contracts that they will eventually demand. Megatron or Anquan? I'll take Megatron. But the reality is, based on salaries, the question you're asking is Megatron or Anquan+Crabtree? And it'd take 2 of these guys over 1 superstar any day.

Jarvis Landry to me is that type of guy. 700-1100 yds, 6-10 TDs /season in his prime. Will convert 3rd downs, and always be reliable. In other words, another Boldin/Crabtree. Some people say we need a speed guy and size guy, and while I agree with that to some degree, you won't see my crying if we have a roster full of 6'0-6'2/195-215lbs/4.45-4.65 40s/ WRs like Crabtree.

There's a certain attitude that I like to see in guys, tough, resilient, borderline cocky, a guy with some fight in him. I'll take guys like that, like Patton, like Landry, all day long.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I haven't seen a class so deep at WR in ages. I also don't know of a term for it, but there's a particular quality I like about WRs that I think many of these guys have. I'm less of a Megatron/Alshon/Dez guy, and always been more into Steve Smith, Anquan, Larry, Heinz Ward, Jordy Nelson, etc. Guys that make big plays at big times, pick up key first downs, bring a LB mentality to the WR position, and can catch the football. My problem with the superstar WR (AJ, Megatron, Dez, Alshon, Marshall, etc) in today's NFL, is the contracts that they will eventually demand. Megatron or Anquan? I'll take Megatron. But the reality is, based on salaries, the question you're asking is Megatron or Anquan+Crabtree? And it'd take 2 of these guys over 1 superstar any day.

Jarvis Landry to me is that type of guy. 700-1100 yds, 6-10 TDs /season in his prime. Will convert 3rd downs, and always be reliable. In other words, another Boldin/Crabtree. Some people say we need a speed guy and size guy, and while I agree with that to some degree, you won't see my crying if we have a roster full of 6'0-6'2/195-215lbs/4.45-4.65 40s/ WRs like Crabtree.

There's a certain attitude that I like to see in guys, tough, resilient, borderline cocky, a guy with some fight in him. I'll take guys like that, like Patton, like Landry, all day long.

It's a little early to tell with Patton, but he's responded every time his name has been called. Can't argue with that, so that's definitely a positive. I have a feeling that he may be a bigger part of the gameplan in Seattle than most are expecting.

It's a little early to tell with Patton, but he's responded every time his name has been called. Can't argue with that, so that's definitely a positive. I have a feeling that he may be a bigger part of the gameplan in Seattle than most are expecting.

For me, it's all about the hands. Not impressed with guys who can run sub-4.30 or whatever, because if they can't make the play when the ball's in the air, it doesn't matter. Give me a WR corps full of Boldins, Crabbys or Landrys and I can keep moving the chains all day long (see Walsh). The only real burner we ever really had during the championship years was Renaldo Nehemiah, and we all know how that worked out. The rest were mostly big-catch, chain-moving machines. Then, when secondaries were forced to play our WRs tighter taking away those short passes, we'd go over top....simple but effective strategy.

But especially on a team like ours today that's so reliant on the run and not necessarily big plays in the passing game like so many other teams right now. When we're 3rd and 4 or 3rd and 7, you need guys you can rely on to make tough catches with defenders all around you to keep drives alive. Boldin in particular this year has proven just how critical that skill is, making big catch after big catch on some badly thrown balls....but no panic, he just makes the play and the drive continues on. Same with Crabtree since he's been back.

To me, that's why guys like Landry, Matthews, Beckham and Latimer are ideal for this offense.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

For me, it's all about the hands. Not impressed with guys who can run sub-4.30 or whatever, because if they can't make the play when the ball's in the air, it doesn't matter. Give me a WR corps full of Boldins, Crabbys or Landrys and I can keep moving the chains all day long (see Walsh). The only real burner we ever really had during the championship years was Renaldo Nehemiah, and we all know how that worked out. The rest were mostly big-catch, chain-moving machines. Then, when secondaries were forced to play our WRs tighter taking away those short passes, we'd go over top....simple but effective strategy.

But especially on a team like ours today that's so reliant on the run and not necessarily big plays in the passing game like so many other teams right now. When we're 3rd and 4 or 3rd and 7, you need guys you can rely on to make tough catches with defenders all around you to keep drives alive. Boldin in particular this year has proven just how critical that skill is, making big catch after big catch on some badly thrown balls....but no panic, he just makes the play and the drive continues on. Same with Crabtree since he's been back.

To me, that's why guys like Landry, Matthews, Beckham and Latimer are ideal for this offense.

don't forget JA :)
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
been on this wagon for a while now. dude reminds me of a younger Boldin, the way he fights, how strong his hands are, and his willingness to block.

Younger, smaller but faster Boldin.

I'm usually dubious about comparisons with stars but when I watch Landry catch in traffic and take the ball from defenders it really does look like Boldin! Good call. There are at least eleven WRs in this years draft who could be drafted among the top fifty picks. Niners need WRs...draft strong in WRs...I'm elated!

I don't care about size either. You just can't pass on a good prospect because of one intangible. If he were 6'5" he'd be a top five pick.
Problem is if we resign Boldin he's a early draft pick who may not see the field much. Patton has tons of potential.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Problem is if we resign Boldin he's a early draft pick who may not see the field much. Patton has tons of potential.

May not see the field next year if Boldin's resigned but Boldin is getting up there and a replacement is needed. This team's coaches don't like playing rookies anyway. I was shocked that Reid was able to convince them to start him but he is so good...couldn't keep him on the bench. If they draft a WR that good then he will see playing time next year. I really want at least two draftee WRs next year as it's the only spot that is so lacking in backups. When they run three WR sets there is no one on the bench that is capable.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

May not see the field next year if Boldin's resigned but Boldin is getting up there and a replacement is needed. This team's coaches don't like playing rookies anyway. I was shocked that Reid was able to convince them to start him but he is so good...couldn't keep him on the bench. If they draft a WR that good then he will see playing time next year. I really want at least two draftee WRs next year as it's the only spot that is so lacking in backups. When they run three WR sets there is no one on the bench that is capable.

I don't see it happening the kid is a good wr but not a fit if boldin is resigned but his partner Odell Beckham is the speedster on the team and would be a better fit and returns kicks

Very true I believe our Secondary is going to be high on the priority list in this draft weather is CB/S
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
I don't see it happening the kid is a good wr but not a fit if boldin is resigned but his partner Odell Beckham is the speedster on the team and would be a better fit and returns kicks

We have at least five picks in the first three rounds...I see at least two of those picks going to offense, so a WR with a high pick is very possible. I hope they can orchestrate a trade of lower picks to move a 3rd rounder to the second and then a second to a first. If they get a comp pick in the third, as many project, they could wind up with six picks in the first three rounds and I would gladly see them make trades to wind up with four in the top two rounds (or even fewer higher picks) and one in the third (comp pick).

Landry is fast enough to get deep and he is a better all around receiver than most of the speed guys. I really think going for speed over other traits is wrong. But they can get both with so many picks! There are good WRs all the way through the third round and good DBs as well. Just a matter of them identifying who they think will fit best.

We have at least five picks in the first three rounds...I see at least two of those picks going to offense, so a WR with a high pick is very possible. I hope they can orchestrate a trade of lower picks to move a 3rd rounder to the second and then a second to a first. If they get a comp pick in the third, as many project, they could wind up with six picks in the first three rounds and I would gladly see them make trades to wind up with four in the top two rounds (or even fewer higher picks) and one in the third (comp pick).

Landry is fast enough to get deep and he is a better all around receiver than most of the speed guys. I really think going for speed over other traits is wrong. But they can get both with so many picks! There are good WRs all the way through the third round and good DBs as well. Just a matter of them identifying who they think will fit best.

Daniel Jeremiah has Landry going in the 20s, I don't believe he is a real option its going to a CB/S imo with the 1st pick

While this is true, Boldin won't be here forever and there is no guarantee with Crabtree. What we would have is a very good #4 receiver which isn't a bad problem to have. It would be nice to have a respectable group of receivers for a change. Also, in spite of the fact that he isn't likely to play much in 2014, we know his time would be coming either in 2015 or 2016. I'm patient enough to wait and prefer to have the insurance in case of injury to any of the players in front of him. It's time we stop fooling around with the receiver position and I'm hoping we use 2 or 3 picks on that position.
Originally posted by Harbaalke:

Daniel Jeremiah has Landry going in the 20s, I don't believe he is a real option its going to a CB/S imo with the 1st pick

I don't have a crystal ball but Baalke usually takes the best player in a position of need, or best player. Given that we don't know if WRs will slide due to the great number of quality receivers in the draft, I'm not willing to project CB at the 9ers pick. What if there's a run on CB s because they are more limited in number? Would Baalke still just take any old CB over Landry? I doubt it. Drafts tend to go in unpredictable patterns. This year I really expect WRs to drop and DBs to rise due to the numbers I mentioned. Many pundits and mock drafts have QBs flying up the board as well. Could be, and that would also impact who drops.

By the way, most mocks have five or more WRs going in the first round but Landry isn't one of them. Watkins, Lee, Evens, Cooks, Robinson, Benjamin and Beckham are listed above Landry in most mocks.

That's some serious offensive swag we'd have with a QB like Kaepernick.
bump. niners need to find a way to draft Landry or Matthews in this draft.

[ Edited by LaMichaelJeff on Jan 30, 2014 at 12:23 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone