LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Jarvis Landry-WR-LSU

Originally posted by AmpLee:
Wrong. The letter "N" is spelled "en". The letter "H" is spelled "aitch". Regardless, the rule is for phonetic pronunciations. A wonder, a one-timer.

I stand corrected...and irritated with my grammar memory! Now...to the corner!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 3, 2014 at 3:35 AM ]
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
I know. I was just havin' a little fun 1-up'ing. But I did say "he'd" be - as in he would be (contingent statement).

As far as an NFL player VS a NFL player goes, my 2009 copy of Rules of Thumb (8th edition) says that words beginning in consonants whose first syllable is identical to a vowel uses "an." "NFL" has the same first syllable as "entire," and it would be appropriate to say "an entire cake."

That said, you all like Landry & I don't trust him unless he can show a vast improvement on his workout numbers. Pretty much all of you disagree. Ok. I can respect that. It wouldn't be the first time one guy held an unpopular view of a college prospect.

P.S. Kolohe I'm not that other guy. I'm a grown up. I don't get kicks from screwing with random people on the internet.

You were correct and I'm wrong...my apologies!

I'm not completely sold on any college WR this year expect for Watkins...so it would be nice to see the niners take at least two and hopefully three WRs to try and hit at least one home run. Landry catches the ball with an authority I like to see. Lee is much faster but reminds me a bit of some other fast guys who tend to have mental lapses and don't fight for the ball as much. Which guy will have the better NFL career? I'd put money on Landry due to attitude and tenacity going for the ball.

But it would be hard to ignore Lee's speed so I'll leave that to the experts and hope they have better judgement this year than they had with Jenkins. That was not an exceptional year for WRs...this year is much, much better! If they take three guys...one in the first two rounds, one in the 3/4 rounds and one late, I think they will have an interesting mix. If one or two can be a return guy and a special teams guy then they will be able to possibly keep all three if they can win spots. Boldin, Crabtree, Patton and three rookies...my hope for this coming year.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
IMO VPofCarnange is looking more like SanDiego49er, yes I'm calling it, my reason, well he's often here. Now all of a sudden I gave him a verbal warning and Mr. VPofCarnange pops in. lol

I'm done arguing with VP.

they sound real similar, don't they?
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

Would you stop? I've never posted here under a different name. I'm not the only person on earth who has serious doubts about Jarvis Landry.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

Would you stop? I've never posted here under a different name. I'm not the only person on earth who has serious doubts about Jarvis Landry.

relax. all i said was that you two sounded similar. never once did i say you two were the same person.
relax. all i said was that you two sounded similar. never once did i say you two were the same person.

Ok sorry. Misunderstood.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Mayock still has Landry as his 5th wide receiver.

Wide receiver
1. Sammy Watkins, Clemson
2. Mike Evans, Texas A&M
3. Marqise Lee, USC
4. Brandin Cooks, Oregon State
t5. Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State
t5. Jarvis Landry, LSU
t5. Odell Beckham, LSU

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000330427/article/mike-mayocks-updated-position-rankings-for-2014-nfl-draft

CBS has dropped Landry from 55 to 76.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/WR
Thanks Buck...good news for the niners if they are interested...late second might just be a fit. Mayock has no love for Matthews?
I sure hope that we don't draft Landry, we don't need another possession receiver with strong hands, we have enough of those already. We need a receiver that can force opposing defenses to defend the whole field.
Hers is the thing about Laundry's combine, he wasn't himself, due to possible injury. So he will slide down if he can't recover-guess what the niners do with players that may have talent but injured...that's right draft them and get a steal.

I remember several talent scouts/gms when talking about the combine and their performance test saying that if a player has blazing speed and other wonderous test results they go back to the tape to recheck and wonder why this player didn't produce more. The same can be said about a player that puts the number who seemed slow.

The combine is just a reafirmation of their evaluation to most successful organizations, those who let the combine dramatically alter their boards are usually not that uccessful. Remember Darius Heyward Bey?

The GOAT had a bad combine, yet he was drafted number 16 and successful career. There are many who over blow the use of the combine results. Not for or against Laundry, but two things I would say is-was a bad day and anaomly- I think he has faster track speed. The other thing I would say is how many players at the combine can have the same performance with pads on. I would say who has the least drop off when in pads.

If he falls to the 3rd Round is he a no-brainer pick up? He looks like a Boldin clone.
I'll gladly take him at 77 or 94 if he is there. I just don't know how we will have room to take a guy in the 1st/2nd and then another in the 3rd. I see it as Crabtree, Boldin, DP vs Patton, Lloyd vs Baldwin, Osgood (ST). So unless we keep 7 or Lloyd and Baldwin don't make the team not sure where I see room for a 3rd rounder. I hope we draft one in the 1st or 2nd and then 3rd but what happens with Lloyd who likely beats out Baldwin? I guess they would have to keep 7 then... Crabtree, Boldin, 1st/2nd Rd, Patton, Lloyd, 3rd Rd, Osgood. I don't know I just don't see any reason for Lloyd or Baldwin. Time to get younger but guess we just want to add more competition and see how the cards fall.
I don't think Lloyd or Baldwin make the team. Lloyd is insurance in case we miss on drafting a speed guy, our our new speed guy gets injured in camp; Baldwin is already a hair's breadth from the scrap heap. If we pick up Cooks, Beckham, Bryant, Richardson, Ellington, Herron, then I think Lloyd is gone. If we get Reese or Moncrief, he's probably gone. If we get Archer/Thomas, he might be gone, depending on how much WR either of those guys can learn in camp.
Oops wrong thread.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Apr 26, 2014 at 10:53 AM ]
Well, McShay is still on the Landry bandwagon.

Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU

Landry is undersized and ran a slow 40-yard dash time at the combine, but he's still worth a Day 2 pick. Why? Because he is one of the best pure football players in this class. First off, his ball skills are second to none in the 2014 class of receivers -- and if you don't trust my eyes on that, there are plenty of numbers that back that assertion up. Landry has excellent focus and natural hand-eye coordination, and very good body control to adjust. Landry does an excellent job of competing for balls in traffic and has the strong hands to secure passes. He makes tough catches over his head look easy. He's also the toughest receiver in the 2014 class, with no fear of going over the middle (he'll take a big shot and still hold onto the ball), and a physical, competitive and effective blocker. I love the way this guy plays the game.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl-draft/post?id=4553

I see Landry being another guy who is still a solid contributing player 10 years from now and people will still wonder why he fell as far as he did.
Share 49ersWebzone