There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Viliami Moala, Cal DT, declares for the NFL draft.

Wow. I am SHOCKED. This kid is a true junior who has shown flashes throughout his career of being a dominant DT but never really put it together until late this season when he had some really good games. I was damn sure that after his senior year he'd be a better prospect than Deandre Coleman, who just graduated. Moala certainly HAS HAD the frame of an NFL DT since he committed to Cal (6'2", 387lbs then, reportedly 315lbs now and in much better shape) and I had no doubts he'd be in the pros some day, just not now, I don't understand his decision to enter the draft especially after having an interview after the season where he talked about how excited he was for his senior year and graduating. I don't think he has the tape to warrant being a high pick. He's going to need to blow up his workouts.

run-stuffing play at the goalline

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9853070 - video of him as a pass rusher

Draft Breakdown has started to put up some videos of him:

I've realized that you can also get a good look at him in Coleman's tape, so here (he's often the DT next to Coleman):

[ Edited by vrabbit on Jan 12, 2014 at 9:27 AM ]
Dang he's big.
Hey, you know my philosophy on Pacific Islander's, can never have enough of them on the DL, make it happen Baalke. I am pretty shocked that he's taking off now rather than trying to build on his play next season. He could be a nifty late-round project for Tomsula to work with. If nothing else, have him work out for the OL as well, be Iupati's eventual replacement.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 10, 2014 at 3:31 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Hey, you know my philosophy on Pacific Islander's, can never have enough of them on the DL, make it happen Baalke. I am pretty shocked that he's taking off now rather than trying to build on his play next season. He could be a nifty late-round project for Tomsula to work with. If nothing else, have him work out for the OL as well, be Iupati's eventual replacement.

You know my initial reaction when kids like this, who IMO aren't ready for the pros, declare is that it's a financial decision, but Moala is a character guy with a good head on his shoulders, has a great family structure as shown on this piece: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/12/27/6031112/hometown-report-moala-keeps-his.html

Ok, so maybe he's 330lbs. He absolutely has a lot of tools to be used at the next level, and he'd be lucky to go to a team like the 49ers with a coach like Tomsula (if he doesn't get a promotion elsewhere) where he can learn how to play the NFL game. He has the potential to be a stud NT in a 3-4 defense.
Nice prospect
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Similar frame to Ian Williams. If he lasts to the 6-7th rounds, I wouldn't be disappointed on taking a flyer on this guy.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Similar frame to Ian Williams. If he lasts to the 6-7th rounds, I wouldn't be disappointed on taking a flyer on this guy.

I like that he was on the upswing, he was kind of a disappointment early on, but he had been showing improvement, I still think he would have been better off staying in school for another season but if this results in him becoming a 49er with a 6th or 7th round pick, I'm all for it. Good potential for continued improvement, especially if Tomsula is coaching him up.
Gotta love his dedication to drop that weigth. Sometimes I think it's a matter of poor coaching. Get Jim involved and he could be special.
I've added some videos from Draft Breakdown. Gotta love the squares denoting where the player is at
Local guy

wont be drafted

I like that he was on the upswing, he was kind of a disappointment early on, but he had been showing improvement, I still think he would have been better off staying in school for another season but if this results in him becoming a 49er with a 6th or 7th round pick, I'm all for it. Good potential for continued improvement, especially if Tomsula is coaching him up.

I'm a high school football coach in Sacramento and coached against this guy when he played for Grant high, which has produced pros like Donte Stallworth, Ontaio Smith, DJ Williams, Syd'quan Thomas etc. And he flashed with the most talent. Scary big and pretty quick. Very nice, well mannered young man. I thought he was dominating at times but needed another year at Cal, just as many on RZ has mentioned. I vote yes on him.
Originally posted by suckafree17:

I'm a high school football coach in Sacramento and coached against this guy when he played for Grant high, which has produced pros like Donte Stallworth, Ontaio Smith, DJ Williams, Syd'quan Thomas etc. And he flashed with the most talent. Scary big and pretty quick. Very nice, well mannered young man. I thought he was dominating at times but needed another year at Cal, just as many on RZ has mentioned. I vote yes on him.

I always thought it was unfair for a 6'2", 380+pounds DL to be playing in HS, he probably looked hella good in those games.
WANT
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Local guy

wont be drafted

This, most of the local guys most people on here wanted see Keenan Allen, fleener, ertz we ignore
That's a big boy. Coaches should get a good look at him in the local pro day. Any relation to Fili Moala, former USC Trojan and current Colt?