LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

Kenny Ladler, S, Vanderbilt

Kenny Ladler, FS from Vandy. With Whitner nearing the end of his contract, in his 30s, I think (and hope) we resign him to a short, 2-year deal. But as he ages, he might slow down. Look at what happened to Carlos Rogers. I think we need to find a replacement for him soon, even if he has to sit for a year or two under Whitner to learn and develop. Ladler might be that fit. He is excellent in coverage. He reminds me a lot of Reid when I'm watching game tape. Almost every single play he is either making the tackle or in the circle where the tackle is being made. He demonstrates great effort and talent on every down, and he put some licks on Marcus Lattimore! Here's a video from 2012. Couldn't find a 2013 video, but I have watched him in person a few times and he is better in 2013 than he is in the video. He's projected to go in rounds 3-4, and could be a major steal. Let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9x6p-_qLlI

Edit: Didn't realize Whitner was currently 28.
[ Edited by loyalniner on Jan 9, 2014 at 2:45 PM ]
I have no idea why so many posters want to resign Whitner. His coverage skills are still bad and if he has to tackle by wrapping up the arms, he won't be able to do it.

Plus we need all the salary cap space we can. Replacing and actually upgrading his spot is not difficult imo.

BTW, nice prospect.
[ Edited by kronik on Jan 8, 2014 at 4:18 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
I have no idea why so many posters want to resign Whitner. His coverage skills are still bad and if he has to tackle by wrapping up the arms, he won't be able to do it.

Plus we need all the salary cap space we can. Replacing and actually upgrading his spot is not difficult imo.

BTW, nice prospect.

Don't get me wrong. Not crazy about resigning Whitner. I think they will, but I also think that if we would draft someone like Ladler (should he not be ready straight out of college), we would have a potential safety of the future learning with and from Reid. Dahl wouldn't be a terrible stopgap for the beginning of the '14 season, though I'm not crazy about him playing for more than a year either.

And thanks for the comment! :)
Originally posted by loyalniner:
Kenny Ladler, FS from Vandy. With Whitner nearing the end of his contract, in his 30s, I think (and hope) we resign him to a short, 2-year deal. But as he ages, he might slow down. Look at what happened to Carlos Rogers. I think we need to find a replacement for him soon, even if he has to sit for a year or two under Whitner to learn and develop. Ladler might be that fit. He is excellent in coverage. He reminds me a lot of Reid when I'm watching game tape. Almost every single play he is either making the tackle or in the circle where the tackle is being made. He demonstrates great effort and talent on every down, and he put some licks on Marcus Lattimore! Here's a video from 2012. Couldn't find a 2013 video, but I have watched him in person a few times and he is better in 2013 than he is in the video. He's projected to go in rounds 3-4, and could be a major steal. Let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9x6p-_qLlI

I too like what I have seen and read of him. There are a handful of safeties that I hope SF (and KC ) takes a long look at in the 3rd-4th rds.
Whitner is having a good year. Not sure where you are getting that he is "still bad" in coverage. Whitner has improved in coverage by a wide margin. How many big plays have you seen the defense give up this year? Not many. Just last year in the Super Bowl did we see Goldson flopping around like a fish trying to tackle Jones on the TD.

Whitner is one of the best run support safeties in the game. He still has a few seasons left of high productivity. Reid and Whitner communicate very well and it has shown this year. Whitner makes Reid a better player.

Goldson made Whitner look bad last year because he plays with no discipline and also doesn't communicate. Some of you assume it was all Whitner.

I don't know about you but I want a starting safety corps that has experience. Throwing in a rookie with Reid in his second year is just asking for problems.
[ Edited by HarbaughzDeep on Jan 8, 2014 at 5:52 PM ]
What round will he be in? and idk if hed be a good fit as far as schemes
Originally posted by loyalniner:
Originally posted by kronik:

BTW, nice prospect.

Don't get me wrong. Not crazy about resigning Whitner. I think they will, but I also think that if we would draft someone like Ladler (should he not be ready straight out of college), we would have a potential safety of the future learning with and from Reid. Dahl wouldn't be a terrible stopgap for the beginning of the '14 season, though I'm not crazy about him playing for more than a year either.

And thanks for the comment! :)

dahl came in for reid in the titans game bc reid got hurt and the next play cj took a screen 75 yards to the house and it was a missed tackle from dahl that basically caused it..in no way should any1 be ok with dahl as a stopgap..cj spillman is better and im not ok with cj spillman as a stopgap..lol if we let whitner walk we will draft a ss high..i think we would trade up for haha..
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
More impressed watching Lattimore run the ball
Originally posted by jimrat:
More impressed watching Lattimore run the ball

That was my favorite part of the tape! I smiled the whole time watching what he could do. Imagine if he really does return to that form with the year he's had to recover!
replace whitner with another 31 SS Terrance Brooks FSU
[ Edited by Harbaalke on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:37 PM ]

• cools
  • Veteran
Ive watched some film of Ladler, I'd be happy with that pick

I really want Ed Reynolds from Stanford if he declares

Lots of other good ones ive been watching too

Buccanon, Wash St.
Bailey, USC
Drummond, Mich St.
Pryor, Louisville
Dixon, Baylor
Brooks, Florida St.
Boston , N.Carolina
Whitley, Miss St.

Good year to grab a future safety or two
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Whitner is 28, turns 29 in July.

Ladler has been a "homer pick for me because for some unknown reason I started watching Vanderbilt games really intently 3 years ago (I live inUtah and have no ties to the school). I'd die if we finally picked someone from Vandy.

Wanted Casey Hayward in 2011, wanted Zac Stacey last year, some others, now it comes down to Matthews or Ladler and I really hope either of them is in red and gold.

Wonder if Franlin ends up leaving how it will affect their recruiting.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 9, 2014 at 2:46 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone