There are 182 users in the forums

Instant improvement to 49ers Offense: Austin Seferian-Jenkins

I'm all for drafting a 3rd TE. I just don't think a 1st round TE is necessary. I'm rooting for us to take Logan Thomas from Virginia Tech and having him as Swiss Army Knife. He was the top rated TE in the country coming out of HS in 2009 and has played QB for VT for the past few years. I think we could scheme some very interesting formations and plays around him. He could also be a hidden gem TE/QB in the later rounds.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Jan 8, 2014 at 7:48 AM ]
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
I'm all for drafting a 3rd TE. I just don't think a 1st round TE is necessary. I'm rooting for us to take Logan Thomas from Virginia Tech and having him as Swiss Army Knife. He was the top rated TE in the country coming out of HS in 2009 and has played QB for VT for the past few years. I think we could scheme some very interesting formations and plays around him. He could also be a hidden gem TE/QB in the later rounds.

Originally posted by ESWYoung08:

One guy I really like in the later rounds in the Delanie type role is Gator Hoskins.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Not sure where all the deep love for ASJenkins came from. I followed the Pac 12 real close and I can say that Jenkins is good, but not impressively good enough to be a 1st round pick anyway. He has great size but he does not have elite hands like you say, he had his share of dropped balls and tend to stop running his routes when he knows he's covered instead of trying to fight to create separation.

It doesn't make any sense drafting another TE high while we have more important holes to fill in other positions like at CB, SS, or WR. Vance McDonald is still yound and still developing. Vernon Davis didn't have the best hands coming into the league either. McDonald will be fine once the game start slowing down to him.

this is true, and is the ONLY reason he's seen as a late 1st prospect instead of top 10
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
This is my draft crush this year. Take him!
The 49ers Redzone problems have nothing to do with lack of receiving talent or our need for a Redzone match-up nightmare. Vernon Davis is a terrific Redzone threat. How many TE's have outscored him the last couple of years? Anquan Boldin is a match-up nightmare and a great Redzone threat. He burned us pretty good in the superbowl. Even Crabtree is good in the Redzone. Especially on underneath stuff and working his way in to the endzone.

The problem is our play calling. We get conservative and try to run the ball in so we don't have to take any chances. Take the safe 3 pts and count on our defense. That's the strategy and it has nothing to do with receiving talent. You think we will get in the Redzone and target Jenkins a lot while Davis and Boldin and Crabtree act as decoys?

The greatest Redzone threat I ever saw was Jerry Rice and he was hardly a match-up nightmare physically. Good size but not towering and good speed but not blazing. Great heart, great hands, great instincts, great QB's and great play calling.
If we draft him, his nickname has to be Rasta Seferian.
Originally posted by Furlow:
This is my draft crush this year. Take him!

I know this isn't an original thought but I'm surprised more people aren't talking about him. Paired with Vernon we could have Gronk/Hernandez 2.0. Mismatch nightmares for opposing defense.

I think he's the best TE in the draft. Hope we target him.

Side note: He's from Seattle and they need a TE. Could see them taking him in the 1st. Unless the Packers take him, then this post is pointless
[ Edited by 9erguy on Apr 27, 2014 at 11:28 AM ]
I think the 49ers will be upset if Celek is the #3 TE again this year. I like ASJ, but I like Colt Lyerla more as a player and he can be had in the 6th at the earliest ... you just have to get past his insanity and his drug habit :)
NFL network reports: 6'6" 271 lbs - runs 4.56 40yard dash in private workout with the jets

Originally posted by 9erguy:
NFL network reports: 6'6" 271 lbs - runs 4.56 40yard dash in private workout with the jets

With a 37.5" vertical lol
Share 49ersWebzone