Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
This is where we disagree I suppose: need vs. talent.
I agree that you address needs, and in my mock that I've been working on, I would like to take 2-3 WRs. I don't see anyone in the 1st that I love (except maybe Adams from Fresno), but I see some tremendous players later in the draft (Abberaderis is a terrific football player and can be available with the 3rd round pick we got from TN). Having said that, I'll repeat: I don't want ASJ because we need a TE... I want ASJ because he's got superstar potential and can be a game-changer for us especially in the red zone. He's an elite blocker, has unreal size and the best pair of hands I've seen in a long time. McDonald has as much chance of turning into ASJ as Quinton Patton has of turning into Sammy Watkins. Not saying either can't happen, but it's not how I predict things going. So I look at it the same way. To say you expect McDonald to improve by a lot, yet not having that same confidence in Patton seems contradictory to me.
How I see positions of need:
1) Kicker (this is basic. Dawson is in his contract year. If he re-signs then this isn't a need obviously. Kind of a default one until he does)
4) DE (Smith is getting older, McDonald is good not great, and until we see production out of Carredine and Dial it's too early to call the position filled)
5) PR/KR (this is quickly fading. Really like what LMJ has been doing. Keep it up a few more games and this will fall to the bottom of the list)
6) S (kind of contradicting myself with FAs here, but I really like Whitner and see no reason why he wouldn't be retained)
7) QB (backup, no statement about CK here, just observing the trend in the NFL this year. Teams with decent backups stayed in playoff races till late)
8) FB (Miller's health is the only reason for this. Need an emergency option if his recovery is slower than expected)
9) TE (let McDonald prove himself before we rest on the position)
10) NT - don't see as a need at all unless an elite prospect is available late (not a high probability of that)
11) ILB - don't see as a need at all
12) OLB - don't see as a need at all
I also don't see needs as position specific, but rather as far as what guys can do. And to me, the biggest receiving need is having a big guy that can go up for the ball
McDonald is a big guy who can go up for the ball, as is VD. If they add a WR or two in the draft, someone like a Moncrief, that's potentially another big guy that can go up for the ball. As far as Patton, I love his potential but the team can't survive with just 2 WR's. Baldwin in all likeliness isn't going to be back, if Boldin doesn't come back, you have 2 WR's on the roster, 4 TE's....and you want to draft ANOTHER TE? I can't support that, sorry.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 7, 2014 at 3:43 PM ]