There are 249 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers Mock Draft V4.0

Nice mock
After the performance of Michael Crabtree, I'm beginning to believe that he is damn near a must resign. However, I'm still in favor of drafting two receivers high (1st and 2nd rounds) and coming back again to the position late in the draft.

Robinson is growing on me as well and yes, it probably would be in our best interests to go for the most complete receiver available. I think everyone doing a mock ought to just starting posting the scenario under which they'd like their draft to take place lol. I'm assuming this draft is if we either lose Boldin or don't extend Crabtree, because if we somehow pull off both, no way we are going receiver in the first, even if Boldin isn't a longterm solution. Every pick is on pick with the exception of one, a running back? I won't put it pass Baalke, but I just can't see it. Maybe an UDFA just for a camp body. But other than that, we have backs coming out of our ears.

I love the Ricardo Allen pick. This would make me forget us passing on the Tyrann Mathieu last season. Aaron Murray is the perfect QB taken at the perfect spot. Addresses all of our needs, with the exception of a burner at receiver, and gives us some guys to develop for the future.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Phoenix..other than Sammy Watkins........... if you could have any WR for the Niners from this draft who would it be? I would take Marquise Lee if he dropped that far or try to move up a few spots if he fell into the 20s.

I think Lee could very well be a better NFL receiver than Watkins even. He's been knocked down because he had crappy QB play, was injured...etc, but I expect him to impress in the offseason and move up into the mid 1st round. I would also take Lee if he were an option, if not him, then I'd definitely like to have Robinson. 49ers could also trade down, acquire some more picks next year and take a guy like Beckham, Landry, Moncrief....etc.

I'm not sure he will be better than Watkins but I have always loved Lee and think he could be a true #1 WR in the NFL. I would like to see the Niners move up to get Lee or Gilbert if either fall a bit or trade down and get more picks. I agree that there will be some solid WRs available in the 2nd rd and moving down would make sense.
Phoenix..other than Sammy Watkins........... if you could have any WR for the Niners from this draft who would it be? I would take Marquise Lee if he dropped that far or try to move up a few spots if he fell into the 20s.

I think Lee could very well be a better NFL receiver than Watkins even. He's been knocked down because he had crappy QB play, was injured...etc, but I expect him to impress in the offseason and move up into the mid 1st round. I would also take Lee if he were an option, if not him, then I'd definitely like to have Robinson. 49ers could also trade down, acquire some more picks next year and take a guy like Beckham, Landry, Moncrief....etc.

I'm not sure he will be better than Watkins but I have always loved Lee and think he could be a true #1 WR in the NFL. I would like to see the Niners move up to get Lee or Gilbert if either fall a bit or trade down and get more picks. I agree that there will be some solid WRs available in the 2nd rd and moving down would make sense.

I'm on the trade down bandwagon IF 1) Lee and Gilbert are gone 2) we sign Boldin for 2-3 years 3) we extend Crabtree.

The need for receiver isn't as great and there will be lots of talent available in the later rounds. We can pick up an extra 2nd, third, and late pick. I wouldn't want to drop lower than 40 though. If we did, we would at least have the ammo to move back into the top 40 while keeping the extra 3rd.
Fortget drafting receivers who need coaching to realise their potential. Niners don't have that capacity on their staff. (One can hope that they remedy that deficiency in the off-season but I wouldn't count on it).
As an aside, I suppose that I'm in the minority, but I don't believe that Baalke was clueless when he drafted Jenkins. He had the rigth measurables. Shiftiness, speed, hands. The coaches were incapable of coaching him up. Seemingly ruined his confidence by subtley putting him down, instead of nrturing him and giving him a chance. IMO he will turn out to be a more than decent WR. Whereas the guy we swapped him for will go nowhere. We shall see.
So if Robinson is a finished product, then fine. However, the Niners receivers all seem to be possession types and probably moe than one of them will return. What is needed is a complementary speed guy. Especially to exploit Kap's arm. So IMO the Niners either target Lee (who appears to be polished), or draft a db, NT or OL in the first.
QB: Again, I'm probably in the minority, but I actually quite like McCoy as a back-up. I don't believe that Murray would be enough of an upgrade over him. So why waste a higher draft pick one someone who is only going top out as a perennial back-up?. The Niners need to identify a QB who more closely possesses Kaepernick's physical attributes and begin developing him while holding down the #3 spot. Someone like Matt Scott seemed to be last year, but who better fits the bill. Hopefully, a diamond in the rough will emerge.
Nice! I would be very happy if our draft went something like this.
Phoenix, question for you regarding this upcoming draft: (I'm asking you because you do a great job with your college player breakdowns for 49er mock drafts, why they're a good fit, etc...you seem to put in the time in watching many of the top draft-eligible players). You may have already addressed this somewhere, but is this draft considered a strong one for positions of need for the Niners, such as CB, S (maybe someone who can learn from Whitner if he's re-signed?), WR, DL, Kick Returner, maybe ILB now, etc.? Also, if this draft is indeed a quality one and as deep as it seems, do we keep our first six picks (which are all in the first three rounds, I think) or do we package a couple to move up and draft a real impact player at one of those positions of need? Thanks in advance for your input.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Phoenix, question for you regarding this upcoming draft: (I'm asking you because you do a great job with your college player breakdowns for 49er mock drafts, why they're a good fit, etc...you seem to put in the time in watching many of the top draft-eligible players). You may have already addressed this somewhere, but is this draft considered a strong one for positions of need for the Niners, such as CB, S (maybe someone who can learn from Whitner if he's re-signed?), WR, DL, Kick Returner, maybe ILB now, etc.? Also, if this draft is indeed a quality one and as deep as it seems, do we keep our first six picks (which are all in the first three rounds, I think) or do we package a couple to move up and draft a real impact player at one of those positions of need? Thanks in advance for your input.

I can say that at WR and CB, it's pretty deep, one major reason why I'm not all that excited about trading up atm. The WR talent is extensive and you'll be seeing high quality prospects in the 3rd and 4th rounds that would go a lot earlier in other drafts. As far as safety, not so much, some enticing prospects ubt its a rather weak draft for safeties, some nice guys for depth or to develop, but very few guys I see as starters right out of the box.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

I can say that at WR and CB, it's pretty deep, one major reason why I'm not all that excited about trading up atm. The WR talent is extensive and you'll be seeing high quality prospects in the 3rd and 4th rounds that would go a lot earlier in other drafts. As far as safety, not so much, some enticing prospects ubt its a rather weak draft for safeties, some nice guys for depth or to develop, but very few guys I see as starters right out of the box.

Thanks, Phoenix. Much appreciated and I already can't wait for the draft to get here (now have to wait until early May!). I'm kind of hoping they do make picks with most/all of what the have during those first three rounds - and, hopefully they'll also find a few gems in the middle rounds and with a couple of those 7th rounders.
Share 49ersWebzone