LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers Mock Draft V4.0

Originally posted by communist:
i see in patton a good slot guy who also has the speed to go vertical. so, i want a backup for him.
now you say, latimer has some speed and i want to know how much speed (and quickness) he REALLY possesses.

Patton isn't necessarily a slot guy either. He can play on the outside as well. Don't pigeon-hole him as just a guy who plays out of the slot. He's not a Wes Welker type, you can move him around the field but he's a guy who I can see being a high quality #2 WR or even a #1 WR down the road.
Draft mocks are such a waste before we find out if players re sign in FA

Dawson- if he does not re sign, one needs to draft a kicker

Goodwin- if he is gone, Center is a priority

Boldin- If he re signs to a 2 year deal then WR drops

Crabtree- if he signs for 5 years, then WR drops

Eric Wright/Parrish Cox- if they both sign as CB's, need for CB drops

RB- the team has Lattimore/Gore/Hunter/LMJ and you have them drafting a RB?? Jewel Hampton is still on PS
Originally posted by 9erred:
Draft mocks are such a waste before we find out if players re sign in FA

Dawson- if he does not re sign, one needs to draft a kicker

Goodwin- if he is gone, Center is a priority

Boldin- If he re signs to a 2 year deal then WR drops

Crabtree- if he signs for 5 years, then WR drops

Eric Wright/Parrish Cox- if they both sign as CB's, need for CB drops

RB- the team has Lattimore/Gore/Hunter/LMJ and you have them drafting a RB?? Jewel Hampton is still on PS

Dawson-Most kickers are taken late in the draft anyways, see no reason why he wouldn't be back though.

Even if Boldin re-signs, WR is still a priority, Boldin is 33, not 23, its not like he's a long term solution. Right now the 49ers wr's are Boldin, Crabtree and Patton, even if Boldin re-signs you need to add at least two WR's.

The Wright/Cox thing is pretty laughable, Cox was unemployed a few weeks ago. Wright has looked decent, but not a guy I'd feel comfortable counting on, they need to bring in someone to replace Brown who has played well for the most part, and develop them into a long term starter.

As far as the RB scenario, there's also room for a guy like Houston, Jewel Hampton hasn't proven much at all and Houston is a much more physical runner, bigger in build, similar to Dixon who will possibly be leaving in free agency. Even with the current RB's, it doesn't hurt to keep adding depth, look at what Seattle has been doing in regards to their RB situation.

Basically, no matter what happens, it clear that needs at CB and WR are there. Additional needs for OL depth, QB depth and more are also present.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 6, 2014 at 12:57 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erred:
Draft mocks are such a waste before we find out if players re sign in FA - That's half the fun of this particular forum

Dawson- if he does not re sign, one needs to draft a kicker - We should have plenty of cap room to re-sign Dawson or another FA kicker

Goodwin- if he is gone, Center is a priority - Given the complexity of our scheme, I'd trust Kilgore over any rookie center we could draft; not sure it's a priority

Boldin- If he re signs to a 2 year deal then WR drops - I still think adding a speed WR is critical

Crabtree- if he signs for 5 years, then WR drops - See above

Eric Wright/Parrish Cox- if they both sign as CB's, need for CB drops - agree in that it's not a first round priority

RB- the team has Lattimore/Gore/Hunter/LMJ and you have them drafting a RB?? Jewel Hampton is still on PS - IMO, teams should draft a RB every year; mid rounds at least

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 6, 2014 at 1:02 PM ]
Phoenix just wishes we could draft a new OC. ;)

The Niners have to go WR in Round 1... right? What else could they possibly do besides CB?
Also surprised you left Lamarcus Joyner off your mock. I actually think he could sneak into the late 1st/early 2nd if teams see him more as an Earl Thomas-type of safety than a nickel CB.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Also surprised you left Lamarcus Joyner off your mock. I actually think he could sneak into the late 1st/early 2nd if teams see him more as an Earl Thomas-type of safety than a nickel CB.

I was thinking he will be a late 1st rounder, early 2nd rounder, I just like Robinson a lot, would still take Joyner in the 2nd if available. Prewitt isn't a slouch though, if he comes out, he'll be a highly valued prospect.
Phoenix..other than Sammy Watkins........... if you could have any WR for the Niners from this draft who would it be? I would take Marquise Lee if he dropped that far or try to move up a few spots if he fell into the 20s.
Most NFL-ready receiver -- Rashaun Woods

Bowling ball NT -- Reggie McGrew
I do enjoy your presentations, and really find it hard to harshly criticize these choices for multiple reasons. I too would have liked to see a speed WR along with one of those possession guys. I look at Jarvis Landry as our best option for replacing Boldin, if that is indeed what we look to do. Can't say I know a ton about some of these prospects though.

Originally posted by rapid4:

So you're saying some picks don't work out, aye?
Originally posted by rapid4:

So what are you trying to say here? BRB, not drafting any strong armed QBs because Ryan Leaf sucked.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I do enjoy your presentations, and really find it hard to harshly criticize these choices for multiple reasons. I too would have liked to see a speed WR along with one of those possession guys. I look at Jarvis Landry as our best option for replacing Boldin, if that is indeed what we look to do. Can't say I know a ton about some of these prospects though.

I think while he has tremendous hands, you're talking about two very different players. Boldin came into the league at 6'1", 216 pounds. Landry looks to be more like 5'10", 190 or so. I know LSU claims 6'1", but I'm not buying that at all. Just as Rueben Randle wasn't 6'4", Landry is smaller than they indicate. Landry has much better speed that Boldin but not the same sort of build. I've seen people throw up comparisons to Hines Ward and I actually feel that is a pretty good one, hard nosed, aggressive receiver, guy who will fight for passes and is fearless over the middle.

I would not be upset about Landry either, I think there's a tremendous crop of wide receivers in this draft and in many cases, you just can't go wrong.
With the 7 picks in the first four rounds I would go:
1 QB
2 WR
1 CB
1 S
1 OT
1 C

I think Looney and Kilgore give the team enough depth at OG but I dont know if Marquardt is enough depth at OT. So I would take a tackle instead of a guard myself in the top 4 rds.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Phoenix..other than Sammy Watkins........... if you could have any WR for the Niners from this draft who would it be? I would take Marquise Lee if he dropped that far or try to move up a few spots if he fell into the 20s.

I think Lee could very well be a better NFL receiver than Watkins even. He's been knocked down because he had crappy QB play, was injured...etc, but I expect him to impress in the offseason and move up into the mid 1st round. I would also take Lee if he were an option, if not him, then I'd definitely like to have Robinson. 49ers could also trade down, acquire some more picks next year and take a guy like Beckham, Landry, Moncrief....etc.
Share 49ersWebzone