LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers Mock Draft V4.0

With all these underclassmen coming out, it has been a bit tough to keep up with everything that is going on, but with draft position largely solidified, here's my latest update. I still see cornerback as the biggest need, Brown made some big plays last night and I don't see him coming back to the 49ers, he'll need to be replaced by someone of suitable talent and ability, so that is a priority. WR, due to the uncertainty on whether or not Boldin comes back, on whether or not Crabtree re-signs, is also a big need and this draft is now loaded with quality WR talent. Safety, either depth or a potential starter to replace Whitner is another necessity. Beyond that depth at various spots, including QB is also important.

Round 1-Allen Robinson-6'2", 210-WR-Penn State I'm not changing this pick, Robinson is one of the most polished wide receivers in this draft, for a team that has struggled to develop wide receivers, he seems like one of the most likely guys to step into the lineup and be an instant impact player. He performed and was consistent, even with mediocre QB play. He's a physical, smart and tough wide receiver who projects to be a very good possession receiver in the NFL and would be a solid replacement for Boldin if needed.

Round 2-Cody Prewitt-6'2", 220-S-Ole Miss I'm making a prediction that Prewitt does come out after all. He's a very physical, hard hitting safety that played very well in the SEC. Guys loves to hit but is also solid in coverage and a high quality tackler, he has some similar qualities as Reid and certainly has ideal size for the safety position. If he comes out, I'd be all in for Prewitt.

Round 2-Keith McGill-6'2", 200-CB-Utah I like McGill, he's a very physical, tough cornerback who made the transition from safety to cornerback, much like Culliver. He has the size to play on the outside and was the only real reliable performer on a lousy secondary. A CB group of Brock, Culliver and McGill would be solid.

Round 3-Cody Latimer-6'3", 215-WR-Indiana One of my favorite receivers in this draft has declared as a junior. He's a guy with some tremendous hands, attacks the ball in the air, a very explosive athlete, not top-end speed but fast and agile enough, able to create separation and fight for contested passes, definitely a redzone threat. Had some monster games this season and would be allowed to develop over time.

Round 3-Ricardo Allen-5'9", 185-CB-Purdue Outstanding competitor, he's only 5'9" but plays as if he was 6'3", very feisty, never quits competing, never quits running his mouth either, I've compared him to mini-Sherman and that does fit. He doesn't back down from anybody, at this point he's a steal, if he was about 6 feet tall he'd be a 1st rounder IMO. The ideal slot cornerback.

Round 3-Aaron Murray-6'1", 200-QB-Georgia Very pro-ready QB prospect, projects out to be a top-notch backup QB at worst. Smart player, experienced in a pro style offense and a guy who also possesses some decent athleticism, a nice player to develop behind Kaepernick.

Round 4-Tyler Larsen-6'4", 315-C-Utah State This might be a stretch but if Larsen falls to this spot, he's quite the steal. Quality center, capable in both run and pass blocking, very experienced, has the size and mobility to fit this blocking scheme well.

Round 5-Brandon Linder-6'6", 325-OG-Miami Has had some injury issues but an all-around solid guard with a lot of potential. 49ers need more depth along the OL and more competition. With Luke Marquardt in the mix at tackle, more depth and competition at guard is a must and that is exactly what Linder brings. He also has the room to add more weight to his frame as well. Alternatively, Spencer Long of Nebraska, coming off an injury, is another guy I'd take a flyer on here.

Round 6-Stephen Houston-5'11", 225-RB-Indiana Dixon could be a goner after this season, Houston is an experienced power back with good athleticism and shiftiness. A no-nonsense sort of running back, he hits the hole and goes, runs with power and authority. Capable of being a threat in the receiving game as well, reliable hands and shows good ball security.

Round 7-Mister Cobble-6'0", 340-NT-Kentucky My late-round draft crush over the past 2 seasons, a bowling ball with legs is all you need to know, gets leverage, terrific against the run, doesn't do much as a pass rusher but a guy I would LOVE to see Tomsula work with. He has such a unique combination of power, size and quick feet that its kind of ridiculous. I can see a guy that ends up becoming a pretty good NFL nose tackle because of his unique characteristics.

Round 7-Kendall James-5'10, 175-CB-Maine Very experienced long-term starter for Maine, I haven't seen very much of him but he possesses some ridiculous athletic ability, he was always around the ball, always making plays, his closing speed is kind of stupid. At this point in the draft, he'd be worth a look if for no other reason than to be a potential special teams gunner.

Round 7-Wade Keliikipi-6'3", 310-DT/DE-Oregon Because you can never have enough big-bodied guys on the DL. Another project for Tomsula to work with, possibly a PS guy that can develop over time and continue this team's recent tradition of taking lower round defensive linemen and developing them into solid contributors.

Round 7-Asa Watson-6'3", 235-TE-North Carolina State Ideal h-back type guy, can be developed to take over the Delanie Walker role in this offense down the road.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 6, 2014 at 10:21 AM ]
You do a great job of hyping prospects with threads before your mock drafts lol. Good draft though, would be very pleased, definitely have some underrated prospects there.. Only thing is, I see Robinson and Latimer as kind of the same type of receiver. Did you want to draft 2 of the same type or do you see them having different strengths and weaknesses?
Originally posted by Cooper22:
You do a great job of hyping prospects with threads before your mock drafts lol. Good draft though, would be very pleased, definitely have some underrated prospects there.. Only thing is, I see Robinson and Latimer as kind of the same type of receiver. Did you want to draft 2 of the same type or do you see them having different strengths and weaknesses?

Different strengths and weaknesses. I see Robinson as a technician, very precise route runner, a classic possession receiver. I see Latimer as more explosive, faster, a better downfield threat but a more raw route runner. Both have great hands and I see Latimer as having a somewhat higher ceiling. Robinson however, in the worst case scenario of Boldin walking, seems like he could be a steady contributor as a rookie to go along with Crabtree and Patton.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 6, 2014 at 10:39 AM ]
Nice job as always
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Cooper22:

Different strengths and weaknesses. I see Robinson as a technician, very precise route runner, a classic possession receiver. I see Latimer as more explosive, faster, a better downfield threat but a more raw route runner. Both have great hands and I see Latimer as having a somewhat higher ceiling. Robinson however, in the worst case scenario of Boldin walking, seems like he could be a steady contributor as a rookie to go along with Crabtree and Patton.

Great thanks, guess I just saw Robinson as more of a downfield threat
More speed please. Two more possession receivers?
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

That would be my only critique of this mock as well. As much as I like Robinson, I think we need to add a play-making vertical threat at WR in this draft. IMO, a combination of Beckham/Latimer or Robinson/Brandin Cooks would be ideal.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

I was putting this together with the mindset that Boldin likely won't return. If that is the case, you want someone who is ready to contribute and Robinson is that guy while providing more speed than Boldin. Latimer is solid, speed-wise he's probably a 4.45 or so, good downfield threat, rarely got caught from behind, a nice guy to develop as a redzone threat. Both Robinson and Latimer are guys you can throw it up to and have them come down with it. That would give you a receiving group of guys who all have outstanding hands, who attack the ball in the air and can come up with some pretty crazy catches.

I'm also open to other receivers such as Beckham and of course Moncrief, but I like that Robinson was able to be productive, regardless of who was at QB and knowing that team's primarily were focusing on shutting him down. He made plays anyways, so I do like him a lot. Latimer I think has a huge ceiling, he plays faster than his actual speed might indicate and he showed little trouble getting behind defenses regularly.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 6, 2014 at 11:07 AM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
That would be my only critique of this mock as well. As much as I like Robinson, I think we need to add a play-making vertical threat at WR in this draft. IMO, a combination of Beckham/Latimer or Robinson/Brandin Cooks would be ideal.

Overall good mock but I don't think Larsen will make it out of the 3rd
Originally posted by lamontb:
Overall good mock but I don't think Larsen will make it out of the 3rd

Possibly, but I see the following centers going before him:

Swanson
Richburg
Harrison
Stork
Stone

I could see him dropping into the 4th round, early to mid 4th, 49ers might have to trade up a bit for him but he's a guy who definitely could go lower than expected.

if patton goes down, the only speed we can provide, comes from lmj and VD. that is not very sufficient, imo.

however, good mock, imo. i do like the murray pick in the 3rd because i think he could be gone very soon after this pick.

edit: another NT and even a beefy one? i mean, i dont care about 7th round but honestly i dont get. if he is a run-stuffer ONLY, we would telegraph our assumptions to the offense.
unless you expect that tomsula can coach him up to be a dual-threat.
[ Edited by communist on Jan 6, 2014 at 11:31 AM ]
Originally posted by communist:
if patton goes down, the only speed we can provide, comes from lmj and VD. that is not very sufficient, imo.

however, good mock, imo. i do like the murray pick in the 3rd because i think he could be gone very soon after this pick.

Latimer is faster than Patton. Robinson might be slightly slower but not by much. I'm guessing a 4.55 or so for him.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 6, 2014 at 11:31 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Latimer is faster than Patton. Robinson might be slightly slower but not by much. I'm guessing a 4.55 or so for him.
can latimer play in the slot efficiently? could he do some damage in the screen game?
Originally posted by communist:
can latimer play in the slot efficiently? could he do some damage in the screen game?

I'm not sure why you'd put Latimer in the slot, remember, Crabtree played out of the slot quite a bit last season. Indiana did move him all over the field, but he mostly is an outside WR. My main thought on Robinson and Latimer is............what if the 49ers lose both Boldin and Crabtree. If that were to happen, I still think that Patton, Robinson and Latimer can form a pretty good NFL receiving corps. If Crabtree sticks around, so much the better, if Boldin does, even better.
i see in patton a good slot guy who also has the speed to go vertical. so, i want a backup for him.
now you say, latimer has some speed and i want to know how much speed (and quickness) he REALLY possesses.
Share 49ersWebzone