There are 148 users in the forums

Target pick in 1st round?

Target pick in 1st round?

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Trade up for Watkins

Only possible in Madden but still...

Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Does anybody realize the WZ wants a WR for the 1st round pick every year for the past decade? You guys are like Matt Millen. Good thing you are not the GM. Believe it or not there are other positions to fill on a football field besides WR.

The difference between Matt Millen and those pro-WR on the Webzone is that Matt Millen actually drafted a WR every year and only hit on one (i.e., Calvin Johnson).

Whereas, the zone wants a receiver in the first round every year but only got AJ Jenkins to show for it.

Two totally different scenarios.

So we should keep drafting them every year so we can get 1 good one? That's what Millen did with fail after fail.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Does anybody realize the WZ wants a WR for the 1st round pick every year for the past decade? You guys are like Matt Millen. Good thing you are not the GM. Believe it or not there are other positions to fill on a football field besides WR.

The difference between Matt Millen and those pro-WR on the Webzone is that Matt Millen actually drafted a WR every year and only hit on one (i.e., Calvin Johnson).

Whereas, the zone wants a receiver in the first round every year but only got AJ Jenkins to show for it.

Two totally different scenarios.

So we should keep drafting them every year so we can get 1 good one? That's what Millen did with fail after fail.

lol Is that what you interpreted from my statement?

I simply stated the difference between webzone mentality versus Matt Millen.

That said, if we can get a Calvin Johnson out of this scenario, I'm all for it
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I say we do the Atlanta like trade w/ the Browns 3 years ago that landed them Julio Jones..

With all the picks that we have, and the contender team that we are, I say we pull the trigger that would land us Sammy Watkins!!!
Although bpa is the sound choice for us I would like for us to target the M. Lee
S. Watkins if he makes it out of the top 15 which I doubt
What has Atlanta done since they got Juilio - ZIP!

I can be wrong BUT every team that gave away the farm for one player never won the Super Bowl.

The Vikings giving up the farm for Hershall Walker, Saints for OVERPAYING for Riki Williams come to mind.

BTW, Detroit hasn't won anything w/Calvin either. Buffalo hasn't won their division after paying a fortune for Mario.

The best team wins it all. We need more than one guy. We also need a top tier CS, S and WR.

With all the picks we have I believe we'll get at least 2 of the 3.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
What has Atlanta done since they got Juilio - ZIP!

I can be wrong BUT every team that gave away the farm for one player never won the Super Bowl.

The Vikings giving up the farm for Hershall Walker, Saints for OVERPAYING for Riki Williams come to mind.

BTW, Detroit hasn't won anything w/Calvin either. Buffalo hasn't won their division after paying a fortune for Mario.

The best team wins it all. We need more than one guy. We also need a top tier CS, S and WR.

With all the picks we have I believe we'll get at least 2 of the 3.

This. I'm never a fan of giving up the farm for a single player. Atlanta traded a bunch of picks for Julio Jones, they haven't won squat, now they are a year away from having to give him a HUGE deal, all while their defense has more holes than swiss cheese and their offensive line is falling apart.

49ers are going to have to consistently replace players all over the place, even guys people might not be thinking of, I'm much more in favor of moving up a bit if there's a guy you REALLY like, kind of what happened with Reid last season, they gave up an extra 3rd to get a guy who will be their long-term starting free safety...sounds good to me. Otherwise trade down, acquire picks in additional years, keep stocking talent, have competition at every position and continue to stack depth.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 17, 2014 at 11:46 AM ]
  • bors
  • Veteran
Passrush pass rush. P a s s r u s h
We have 1 first round, 2 seconds & 2 3rd round picks in this up coming draft so if we have a wideout targeted we have the fire power to make a move up draft boards like we did in last years draft in moving up to select S Eric Reid. I say trade our 1st & a second round pick to move up to get either Wr - Kelvin Benjamin or Wr Mike Evans to complete our wr corps where we won't have to depend only on michael crabtree. I can see drafting a few wr's due to Anquan Bolden being a free agent & Mario Manningham will probably be let go as well so I can see our receiving corps getting a huge make over in the off season.

[ Edited by horusking on Jan 17, 2014 at 12:45 PM ]
Sammy Watkins, Sammy Watkins., Sammy Watkins, Sammy Watkins, Sammy Watkins

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Trade up for Watkins

(and still bring back Boldin............... Iupati will need to be the sacrifice.)

Crabtree and Watkins on the outside and Boldin in the slot, got damn a man can dream right?

with VD streaking up the seem.
watch, Sammy Watkins ends up in Seattle.......................
Trade up for Watkins

(and still bring back Boldin............... Iupati will need to be the sacrifice.)

Crabtree and Watkins on the outside and Boldin in the slot, got damn a man can dream right?

with VD streaking up the seem.

That's what SHE said....

Thanks. Great crowd.
I'd say based on how the coaches voted, Baalke will make re-signing Boldin a #1 priority. With Whitner rebounding nicely this season after a subpar 2012 year, I'd think he'd be priority #2 to re-sign. Assuming both players are re-signed, I'd say CB could well be the 1st pick. Gilbert & Dennard will likely be long gone...so unless they really like one of the top-rated CB's they might trade the pick to get another 2nd or 3rd rounder. I like Kyle Fuller from VA Tech...a school known for producing quality DB's. Then again, they could just go BPA...and who knows who that might be.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
The difference between our 49ers and those teams that were mentioned is that WE ARE A CONTENDING TEAM... those teams were all under that term "building up".. While we are trying to find that difference maker on each side of the ball, the teams mentioned were trying to find PLAYERS that will help them get in to the championship calliber..

The Patriots for years have kept and maneuver picks after picks after picks.. and about 70% of those extra picks were used on talented players in the draft, but they never developed in the NFL.. all are now gone or playing w/ other teams.. we can not continue to draft prospects while our rosters are still full of talented players.. we must target a certain player, or players that can help us now or the extra picks we do have will just go to waste.
Share 49ersWebzone