There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Target pick in 1st round?

Target pick in 1st round?

• fryet
  • Veteran
I think that drafting the top center would help the offense the most, depending on who we lose in free agency.
Originally posted by fryet:
I think that drafting the top center would help the offense the most, depending on who we lose in free agency.

IMO, if they don't believe Kilgore (or possibly even Looney) is ready to take over, they'll probably sign a low-cost veteran. Not sure I'd trust a rookie to step right in and take over so my money is on Kilgore/Looney.
Trade up for Marqise Lee
[ Edited by kray28 on Jan 16, 2014 at 2:47 PM ]
Originally posted by Zachary:
i REALLY think we are going to trade up for Watkins...

I hope so
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by fryet:

IMO, if they don't believe Kilgore (or possibly even Looney) is ready to take over, they'll probably sign a low-cost veteran. Not sure I'd trust a rookie to step right in and take over so my money is on Kilgore/Looney.

They could, but I think center is the weak link in our supposedly awesome run blocking line. Get a top line center, resign Iupati, and then let's see what happens when we face the elite run defenses. So far, since Snyder was starting games for us this year, I think they have much confidence in the backups.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Trade up for Watkins

(and still bring back Boldin............... Iupati will need to be the sacrifice.)
Originally posted by Zachary:
i REALLY think we are going to trade up for Watkins...

That would be cool to see but I'd say that's highly unlikely! We are still a run first team so Baalke isn't going to make a drastic move up to get another #1 receiver.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Trade up for Watkins

(and still bring back Boldin............... Iupati will need to be the sacrifice.)

Crabtree and Watkins on the outside and Boldin in the slot, got damn a man can dream right?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I sorta agree with you Ghost on your post above. But if Gilbert and/or Dennard are there, the pick has to be CB either one of them. I think there will be some value at WR in the 2nd round such as Donte Moncrief or Allen Robinson and they wouldn't be asked to start right away. I think the CB position is top heavy a little bit. I mean iif you want a CB that can either come right in and start or add serious competition at the corner position, then I think the 9ers shouldn't pass up one of the top CBs in this draft.

I don't disagree that they should (especially Gilbert), but I get the feeling they won't. Their off-man, "two-read" cover schemes don't necessarily require high-end cover skills coming out of college. They need to be more generalists it seems, having solid enough cover skills/fundamentals to play in the league but also enough smarts/ability to drop into zone coverage as the play unfolds. In other words, pure man-cover guys might not actually be ideal for this scheme.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we went safety again (depending on what happens to Whitner) in the first given how much more important that role is to the defense than corner.

I have changed my tune on the 1st round after watching the Carolina game. And my pick is Jarvis Landry, many think he'll go in the 2nd or 3rd, but I think he'll be a steal at #32. Jarvis Landry is the missing piece to this offense being consistently dominant. Speed, quickness and ball skills, almost a mirror image of Crabtree in terms of skill, but Landry is much faster. So, yes, Landry it is for me!!!!
Originally posted by kray28:
Trade up for Marqise Lee

I think a couple of good WRs may drop down to the niners pick...Lee might be one of them. Looking at the boards that are up right now QBs seem to be soaring up. One board I saw had six QBs in the top 20! So if there is a run on QBs and maybe one more position (OLB or CB) then the top four WRs will be spread over the first round. Right now Watkins, Evans, Lee, Benjamin, Robinson, Beckham and Cooks are tentatively listed in the first round. If Lee can't run at the combine he could fall. Then Matthews, Adams, Landry and Richardson get an occasional nod as first round possibles. That's eleven WRs with 1st/2nd round ability to choose from.

My problem with this is the teams inability to pick a WR. Crabtree was picked in Baalke's first year as Director of Player Personnel so perhaps he can find another gem...but Crabtree was a top ten pick...not exactly sifting through the chaff!
Does anybody realize the WZ wants a WR for the 1st round pick every year for the past decade? You guys are like Matt Millen. Good thing you are not the GM. Believe it or not there are other positions to fill on a football field besides WR.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by adrenaline:
Originally posted by adrenaline:
Because of the depth at WR in this draft, I say CB. Besides, I think front office is going to cut Rogers because of salary. I have a feeling Brown will want too much money too so I think we'll let him walk, leaving us with Brock, and Culliver (just off injury) and Wright.

CB is the huge, huge need in this draft. Maybe safety also to a lessor extent. WR is the popular WZ want but IMO it will have to wait until the 2nd round or later. People forget we got Patton too who seems to be a gamer. Crabtree + Patton + VD is not that bad if Boldin leaves for more money (and Boldin probably will IMO).

I hope they don't let Boldin walk. I say pay him. IMO he has been the team MVP and has saved the 49ers passing attack. I'd even be OK with cutting a few vets and restructuring some deals for cap room. He's way to valuable.

Boldin is gone for sure plus Rogers plus our center who commands too high of a salary for that position. We need to get younger and clear some cap room. We got Kaep, Crabtree and Iupati to sign long term. Something has to give. We need a lot of cap room.

Boldin is gone "for sure"? Even after the season he is having? I get your point about clearing cap space, but the Niners could use one more productive year from Boldin if the price is right.

I don't think Boldin will bolt. I think three years twelve mill gets it done. We have cap space 2014 and 15. Kap and Aldon will get a good percentage of that but we still are in good shape. I think after we cut Rodgers and Baldwin we will have 14 mill in cap space. Not bad for a championship team. Kap will likely sign a long term deal this offseason. He has no real leverage for the next three years.
Baalke likely knows who he can and will resign...wouldn't it be nice to know that? What position most likely needs a rookie starter? SS? CB? WR? C? NT? Just because of need for a great upgrade I would pick SS and/or WR. There are five young CBs on the team, Dorsey and backups at DT, and a rookie is unlikely to start at C.

The way the draft is breaking down it appears there will be really good WRs at the bottom of the first and good SS's through the second round. Don't see a SS being listed where the niners are going to pick so I give the nod to a WR...unless they trade up for a top twenty player.
Dennard and Watkins are my guys but just because I want them it is not going to happen.
Does anybody realize the WZ wants a WR for the 1st round pick every year for the past decade? You guys are like Matt Millen. Good thing you are not the GM. Believe it or not there are other positions to fill on a football field besides WR.

The difference between Matt Millen and those pro-WR on the Webzone is that Matt Millen actually drafted a WR every year and only hit on one (i.e., Calvin Johnson).

Whereas, the zone wants a receiver in the first round every year but only got AJ Jenkins to show for it.

Two totally different scenarios.