LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 128 users in the forums

Target pick in 1st round?

Target pick in 1st round?

Mike Evans (trading up of course)
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (trading up again of course)

Two instant starters and a center in the third. We don't have any roster spots anyway.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I don't disagree that they should (especially Gilbert), but I get the feeling they won't. Their off-man, "two-read" cover schemes don't necessarily require high-end cover skills coming out of college. They need to be more generalists it seems, having solid enough cover skills/fundamentals to play in the league but also enough smarts/ability to drop into zone coverage as the play unfolds. In other words, pure man-cover guys might not actually be ideal for this scheme.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we went safety again (depending on what happens to Whitner) in the first given how much more important that role is to the defense than corner.

Couldn't agree more. Safety will be a bigger need than WR or corner.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Mike Evans (trading up of course)
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (trading up again of course)

Two instant starters and a center in the third. We don't have any roster spots anyway.

There may be some roster spots when FAs leave, but these two guys would make me pretty happy. I have seen them listed near or in the top twenty though and that would require a lot of movement to get them.
I would love to see us get a great talent like Barr. He may be in the 8-10 range when things clear in the top 10. Likely to be drafted before him Bortles, Manzel, Bridgewater, Mathews, Robinson, Clowney, Watkins and Benjamin (many will disagree until he runs the forty looks like Megatron to me). Then we swoop in and grab him. Just develop him for two years and he may replace Brooks or Aldon if he leaves although Lemonier will develop into a starter. We will have plenty of ammo to move up including Iupati who I don't think we will keep. If Robinson falls from the top five he would be a good choice to replace Iupati in a year. Whatever happens Goodwin has to be replaced. I actually think Gilbert may move into the top ten as well.
My best guess is the Niners will have a more pronounced need for a CB and that they will have to move up to get the one they want. My hope is for someone like Gilbert, Verrett, or Dennard.
I doubt they take a WR in the 1st when they just took AJ Jenkins the year before last. I think they'll try to move up like last year with the surplus of picks they have again. I'd rather keep Boldin and further develop Patton because he looks like a player. What I really want them to do is target a guy and be aggressive in getting him kind of like they did with Reid last year. They saw the player they wanted, took the risk in moving up, and it all worked out.
wr, cb. Maybe Ballke shocks us and goes center lol. if we lose hitner, look for a replacement
[ Edited by gold49er2183 on Jan 13, 2014 at 8:34 PM ]
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
wr, cb. Maybe Ballke shocks us and goes center lol. if we lose hitner, look for a replacement

Yea whitner is interesting. 29 years old next year isn'y old. He makes good calls in the secondary. He seems to have improved in terms of his play. Question is will he takes 3-4 mill a year. Same with Boldin?
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:

Yea whitner is interesting. 29 years old next year isn'y old. He makes good calls in the secondary. He seems to have improved in terms of his play. Question is will he takes 3-4 mill a year. Same with Boldin?

If Whitner isn't re-signed, I think Miami's Chris Clemons would be a nice stop-gap safety until a youngster is ready to take over. In a relatively weak safety class, I'd prefer we signed a veteran starter and use one of our 2nd-3rd round pick to develop a safety. If not, we should consider a trade-up for Clinton-Dix.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 14, 2014 at 9:28 AM ]
Because of the depth at WR in this draft, I say CB. Besides, I think front office is going to cut Rogers because of salary. I have a feeling Brown will want too much money too so I think we'll let him walk, leaving us with Brock, and Culliver (just off injury) and Wright.

I'd say CB by far. Right now we looking and Brock and ?????

Culliver - nobody knows how he will look off injury, not to mention how bad he looked in the super bowl

Rogers - could be cap casualty

Cox - played well in slot but not sure he's in the team future. he's just a average guy

Wright - have no idea what he can do, but he's pretty much been benched for Cox who they signed off the streets

Brown - could leave for more $$

Whitner - could leave for more $$
Originally posted by adrenaline:
Because of the depth at WR in this draft, I say CB. Besides, I think front office is going to cut Rogers because of salary. I have a feeling Brown will want too much money too so I think we'll let him walk, leaving us with Brock, and Culliver (just off injury) and Wright.

CB is the huge, huge need in this draft. Maybe safety also to a lessor extent. WR is the popular WZ want but IMO it will have to wait until the 2nd round or later. People forget we got Patton too who seems to be a gamer. Crabtree + Patton + VD is not that bad if Boldin leaves for more money (and Boldin probably will IMO).
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

CB is the huge, huge need in this draft. Maybe safety also to a lessor extent. WR is the popular WZ want but IMO it will have to wait until the 2nd round or later. People forget we got Patton too who seems to be a gamer. Crabtree + Patton + VD is not that bad if Boldin leaves for more money (and Boldin probably will IMO).

I hope they don't let Boldin walk. I say pay him. IMO he has been the team MVP and has saved the 49ers passing attack. I'd even be OK with cutting a few vets and restructuring some deals for cap room. He's way to valuable.

I hope they don't let Boldin walk. I say pay him. IMO he has been the team MVP and has saved the 49ers passing attack. I'd even be OK with cutting a few vets and restructuring some deals for cap room. He's way to valuable.

Boldin is gone for sure plus Rogers plus our center who commands too high of a salary for that position. We need to get younger and clear some cap room. We got Kaep, Crabtree and Iupati to sign long term. Something has to give. We need a lot of cap room.

Boldin is gone for sure plus Rogers plus our center who commands too high of a salary for that position. We need to get younger and clear some cap room. We got Kaep, Crabtree and Iupati to sign long term. Something has to give. We need a lot of cap room.

Boldin is gone "for sure"? Even after the season he is having? I get your point about clearing cap space, but the Niners could use one more productive year from Boldin if the price is right.
Share 49ersWebzone