There are 177 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Big hitting safety Calvin Pryor, Louisville

I love Calvin Pryor's play & potential to bring some big hits, but there are so many great DBs in this draft (and WRs) I just think the Niners could get a lot better value going after some guys who are slotted to go lower.

Pryor's one of the few pure safeties who are really good in this draft. There's Lamarcus Joyner who's kind of a slot guy / CB / FS tweener, there's Stanley Jean-Baptise who's a CB with the size to play safety, there's Clinton-Dix who's probably gonna be a first rounder...

After that the talent level (in coverage) really drops off IMO. Joyner & SJB are probably my favorites based on where they're projected (2nd & 3rd round respectively).
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by buck:
At the combine weigh in, Pryor is listed at 5-11 not 6-2.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AseLAGMydisldHE0Rl9kOGxPXzhPckREX3NQd0dQTGc&usp=drive_web#gid=6

Yep. Still not bad size for the position. Most of the safeties are on the smallish side this year with the exception of Dowling but he's skinny as a rail.

But, a 3 inch difference is pretty big.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
I love Calvin Pryor's play & potential to bring some big hits, but there are so many great DBs in this draft (and WRs) I just think the Niners could get a lot better value going after some guys who are slotted to go lower.

Pryor's one of the few pure safeties who are really good in this draft. There's Lamarcus Joyner who's kind of a slot guy / CB / FS tweener, there's Stanley Jean-Baptise who's a CB with the size to play safety, there's Clinton-Dix who's probably gonna be a first rounder...

After that the talent level (in coverage) really drops off IMO. Joyner & SJB are probably my favorites based on where they're projected (2nd & 3rd round respectively).

Jimmie Ward has good coverage skills. At the Senior Bowl he played safety and slot corner.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Well only one interview from the combine has been made known.

Calvin Pryor.....He's the only Safety we've met with....This of course could change as more information on interviews is released/leaked.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 24, 2014 at 5:50 PM ]
My top 3 pure safeties in this draft (omitting Joyner 'cause he's a tweener) are all just about even IMO.

1a - Calvin Pryor
1b - C-Dix
1c - Terrence Brooks
Originally posted by jimrat:
Looked pretty good in this game

that was a nice blend of taking the hits when they are there and wrapping up when you are the last line of defense.

He is not head hunting every hit....looks a smart, instinctual player.
He could be the new Lance Schulters
I'm not sure why he is so highly rated. Watch the film from his 3 toughest games from 2013(Cincinnatti, Kentucky and South Florida) and he looks average at best. Can't just go by his highlights and his stats in a weak conference.
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
I'm not sure why he is so highly rated. Watch the film from his 3 toughest games from 2013(Cincinnatti, Kentucky and South Florida) and he looks average at best. Can't just go by his highlights and his stats in a weak conference.
You must not have watched the South Florida game. Cause never played them this year. Maybe Central Florida? Kid was really good in that. 11 tackles, 1 INT and a knockout. Also vs. Cincy he had 12 tackles and 2 for loss coming from the Safety position.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Mar 5, 2014 at 9:27 AM ]