There are 152 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Big hitting safety Calvin Pryor, Louisville

I don't know why every is questioning his cover ability. He is pretty good in coverage...would definitely be an upgrade to whitner. This kid hits harder than goldson and can cover. Would love to swoop him up in the 1st
He's been a draft crush of mine since he laid waste to my alma mater Rutgers.
  • DeUh
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
I don't know why every is questioning his cover ability. He is pretty good in coverage...would definitely be an upgrade to whitner. This kid hits harder than goldson and can cover. Would love to swoop him up in the 1st

I like Pryor. You could make the case he is the best pure SS in this draft. Definitely the one with the most fun highlight video to watch

But why is all the hate out there for Whitner ? He played really good. Never blew his coverage. That big play to Baldwin in the playoffs against Seattle was not his fault ! It was a outstanding play from WIlson. If people want to throw someone under the bus you can say at was the fault of our pass rush who coudn´t get to Wilson and also one of the few mistakes Reid did.
Whitner had him covered up. Someone show me a safety other than maybe Thomas who can cover a receiver that long ?

Only mistake and problem was / is his idea to "edit" his name.
[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 18, 2014 at 1:43 PM ]
Is he projected as a FS?
This kid is a talented tackler.
Ed Reynolds may be more of a fit with his size, speed and familiarity with V.Fangio's D....not much hype/interest in the zone, but seems rated in top 5-6 FS/SS in all the rags..2/3 rds projection...under radar prospect?
Originally posted by 4089er:
Ed Reynolds may be more of a fit with his size, speed and familiarity with V.Fangio's D....not much hype/interest in the zone, but seems rated in top 5-6 FS/SS in all the rags..2/3 rds projection...under radar prospect?

Not a strong open field tackler, that's pretty much the biggest knock on him.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

Probably because he played mostly in zone coverage. There's a lot of people who are questioning on how he'd do against slot receivers, tight-ends...etc. There is no way to determine that he'd be an upgrade over Whitner either, that is just pure conjecture. Compare Whitner's play at Ohio State and he was more developed in coverage overall. Its just a basic guess at this point, he could be better than Whitner in coverage, he could also be a lot worse than Whitner too.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 18, 2014 at 7:37 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 4089er:

Not a strong open field tackler, that's pretty much the biggest knock on him.

this. watched a lot of ed reynolds and his open field tackling needs to be worked on.
If Whitner gets more money elsewhere, I can see them trading up for Pryor. Young man brings his lunch pale and doesn't hesitate for contact.
Perfect for us in the 1st round!

CB isn't a huge need when you consider that Brock and Culliver are slated to start with a possibility of re-signing Brown. FA is also an option for depth at that position.

Pryor's a bull who plays much faster than Whitner.
[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Feb 21, 2014 at 11:01 PM ]
Isn't Whitner a Pro Bowler? I can't understand how people can say this guy could be an upgrade to Whitner. For christ's sake Whitner is ranked Top 5 in the FA now!

It could be said that Whitner is not worth the big money but saying Pryor would be an upgrade is just plain wrong.
Originally posted by DueyK:
Isn't Whitner a Pro Bowler? I can't understand how people can say this guy could be an upgrade to Whitner. For christ's sake Whitner is ranked Top 5 in the FA now!

It could be said that Whitner is not worth the big money but saying Pryor would be an upgrade is just plain wrong.

this is what was said about Reid and Goldson last year.
Originally posted by LottsofGold49:

I don't think we would be that lucky again. Also the situation is not the same. Reid at least had Whitner as a mentor. I'm not sure Reid could handle the role of being a mentor yet.
Just thinking about having a rookie and a sophomore as our starters gives me bad feelings.
Originally posted by LottsofGold49:
Originally posted by DueyK:

Yeah because you can ALWAYS get that lucky when drafting a SAFETY. EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's super easy....... ........

Plus we had to trade up for him a lot of slots.