There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Big hitting safety Calvin Pryor, Louisville

Originally posted by Generalwizdom:
Why the comparisons to Golden? Dreads? Because thats the only thing they have in common. Physicality is a must in NFC west. But make no mistake, Calvin Pryor is a MUCH BETTER PLAYER THAN GOLDSON. His football IQ, ball skills, and range are waaaaay better. Theres a reason hes being compared to Kam Chancellor. Big, Physical safeties with a nose for the ball are rare. Eric Reid and Calvin Pryor will give Chancellor and Thomas some competition for best in league. If we cant resign Whitner, Pryor is a no-brainer. Period

New video, love his game. I'll take Pryor and his cheap price tag and youth over Whitner any day of the week.

https
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 14, 2014 at 2:09 PM ]
i'm all for a thumper but you also got to be able to cover well and for all of kam chancellors great hits, he can also cover, he started out at va tech as a corner
Pryor isn't a bad prospect but I'd prefer Deone Bucannon.
Why the comparisons to Goldson? Dreads? Because thats the only thing they have in common. Physicality is a must in NFC west. But make no mistake, Calvin Pryor is a MUCH BETTER PLAYER THAN GOLDSON. His football IQ, ball skills, and range are waaaaay better. Theres a reason hes being compared to Kam Chancellor. Big, Physical safeties with a nose for the ball are rare. Eric Reid and Calvin Pryor will give Chancellor and Thomas some competition for best in league. If we cant resign Whitner, Pryor is a no-brainer. Period

This, but we'd have to trade up to get him (which I can definitely see us doing). I can't see a scenario where Pryor falls to #30.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Why the comparisons to Goldson? Dreads? Because thats the only thing they have in common. Physicality is a must in NFC west. But make no mistake, Calvin Pryor is a MUCH BETTER PLAYER THAN GOLDSON. His football IQ, ball skills, and range are waaaaay better. Theres a reason hes being compared to Kam Chancellor. Big, Physical safeties with a nose for the ball are rare. Eric Reid and Calvin Pryor will give Chancellor and Thomas some competition for best in league. If we cant resign Whitner, Pryor is a no-brainer. Period

This, but we'd have to trade up to get him (which I can definitely see us doing). I can't see a scenario where Pryor falls to #30.

Hopefully we can fleece the cowboys again .
You sound more like a fan than an objective viewer. I see a lot of similarities to Goldson, more than I see with Chancellor. I think the hype surrounding him right now has more to do with his overall size then his performance. At times he looked outstanding in coverage, at others, completely lost. Doesn't always have the best discipline, likes to freestyle at times, does his own thing, leaving his teammates to pick up the slap. He's definitely a headhunter type, always looking for the knock out blow. This can be a big negative in the NFL if he can't clean that stuff up...ala Goldson. Its not to say that he's a bad prospect at all, he's very talented, he does have great size for the position, does well in deep coverage but of course, as always, there's also downsides to his game. Both his pro's and con's remind me a lot of Goldson, which isn't a bad thing to be compared to a multiple time NFL Pro-Bowler.

Personally, I think teams that overdo it trying to draft the "next" Kam Chancellor or Richard Sherman by focusing on much bigger defensive backs are going to swing and miss more often than they hit. Its the thing all the cool kids are doing but there's no way I'd take Pryor over Clinton-Dix.
Exactly. If Walter football believes/writes something, just go in the opposite direction and you'll be fine.
This.

He was a HUGE Clausen and Tebow-fan too.
You sound more like a fan than an objective viewer. I see a lot of similarities to Goldson, more than I see with Chancellor. I think the hype surrounding him right now has more to do with his overall size then his performance. At times he looked outstanding in coverage, at others, completely lost. Doesn't always have the best discipline, likes to freestyle at times, does his own thing, leaving his teammates to pick up the slap. He's definitely a headhunter type, always looking for the knock out blow. This can be a big negative in the NFL if he can't clean that stuff up...ala Goldson. Its not to say that he's a bad prospect at all, he's very talented, he does have great size for the position, does well in deep coverage but of course, as always, there's also downsides to his game. Both his pro's and con's remind me a lot of Goldson, which isn't a bad thing to be compared to a multiple time NFL Pro-Bowler.

Personally, I think teams that overdo it trying to draft the "next" Kam Chancellor or Richard Sherman by focusing on much bigger defensive backs are going to swing and miss more often than they hit. Its the thing all the cool kids are doing but there's no way I'd take Pryor over Clinton-Dix.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Exactly. If Walter football believes/writes something, just go in the opposite direction and you'll be fine.

lol ppl still check out that website?
yeah it is sometiimes very "funny". I mean who doesnt like to watch how people fail???
I want a safety who can cover and tackle. Don't need or want BIG hits. All they are anymore is 15 yards and a first down.
I like the looks, but his style of play seems to be endangered. He needs to be able to cover a lot of field as well as hit. But, I really like what I see on his highlight films.
Put him in a backfield with Reid and OMG....
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
I like the looks, but his style of play seems to be endangered. He needs to be able to cover a lot of field as well as hit. But, I really like what I see on his highlight films.
Put him in a backfield with Reid and OMG....

The thing I will say about Pryor is that he's easily the best true SS prospect in this draft. He's got very good range for a SS, obviously a big, intimidating hitter and enough size to be able to hang with TE's and bigger receivers. He will have issues with his tackling technique and I predict will get penalized a lot early on, he launches himself like a missile, the problem with that is he's either going to get flags thrown on him, or he's going to pull a Reid and get knocked the f**k out. One of the biggest question marks I see with him is his head-hunting approach and poor tackling fundamentals. He needs to improve on both to make it in the NFL. However, those are things that are coachable if he's willing to put in the work to adjust his approach, similar to what Reid did, it will maximize his effectiveness as an NFL safety and ensure his viability, both healthwise and financially.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 14, 2014 at 5:37 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
yeah it is sometiimes very "funny". I mean who doesnt like to watch how people fail???

Waste of time IMO.
Originally posted by stonecold590:
I want a safety who can cover and tackle. Don't need or want BIG hits. All they are anymore is 15 yards and a first down.

Let's make a push for Jimmie Ward. He is a FS who plays SS. Imagine the range in the backfield with him and Reid!