LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Connor Shaw Perfect Backup QB for us?

Having now watched Shaw for 4 years, the kid has really developed as a passer and is a great running QB. He plays through incredible injuries, very elusive and fast, very safe when throwing the ball (24 TD 1 INT this year), and has learned to keep his eye's down-field when the plays and pocket breakdown. He's probably a 5th - 7th round pick but I have no idea. I think he is the perfect backup for our offense.

Carolina Gamecocks have really started to make an impact in the NFL lately as well.
ya i've watched him he since he started at carolina as well. my biggest knock on him is still his arm strenght. he has eli manning arm strenght at best.
How big is Shaw?
He is 6 ft 1 in 209 lb
Spurrier gave him the best QB he's ever coached nod.
He'd be a solid backup for any NFL team.
no
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

This. And don't expect anything more from him.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

This. And don't expect anything more from him.

Can only be an upgrade over McBLT or whomever else we have as our 3rd QB.
Hes a pretty good outside the pocket and has solid arm strength. He does get happy feet and his accuracy isnt all that great.

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Hes a pretty good outside the pocket and has solid arm strength. He does get happy feet and his accuracy isnt all that great.

for the year his "inaccuracy" did only result in 1 INT though and 24 TDs w/ comp % of 63

2012: 17 TD 7 INT comp % of 67
2011: 14 TD 6 INT comp % of 65
meh......
I watched a handful or more of SC games, and generally came away liking Shaw and his ability. I really can't say for sure whether he has what it takes to transition to the pros.. but I don't see why he wouldn't be a solid backup, at the very least.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I watched a handful or more of SC games, and generally came away liking Shaw and his ability. I really can't say for sure whether he has what it takes to transition to the pros.. but I don't see why he wouldn't be a solid backup, at the very least.

If you would have asked me after last season I would have told you that he was not an NFL QB but he really progressed as a passer this season. The area the he got the best at was actually keeping his eye's down field while scrambling and he torched teams by coupling his elusiveness with his focus down field.

Not only that, but the kid heals faster than wolverine which is good with a mobile QB. He got an offer to the combine so he's got a chance to show his stuff.
I don't know about him in the NFL, but I have a lot of respect for his college career.
Share 49ersWebzone