LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Idaho's 2014 Mock Draft. V3.0

Nice mock
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by bigwads:
How does anyone have any confidence in any of the CB's in this class, especially to the point of trading up for them?

Trading up for anyone less then Clinton-Dix or Evans would be a huge mistake IMO. I would be open to trading up for Tuitt too.

The CB class is way too speculative this year IMO.

Disagree. I think there's a lot of great CB prospects available in this draft including Dennard, Gilbert, Ifo, Verrett, Roby etc.

With that being said, if we're trading up for a CB, I'm taking Dennard, no question.

The point is Clinton-Dix is a better safety prospect then any CB is a CB prospect...same for Evans at the WR position and Tuitt at the 3-4 DE position.

No question CB is on the need list, but it isn't a huge need. We will have Brock, Culliver and Wright (most likely) back and combine that with Rogers assuming he takes a huge pay cut then CB really isn't a huge need position. If we take a CB high Rogers is gone, and if Rogers is let go before the draft I think I am forced to come into your guys' camp and take a CB high. Right now, I am way more of the opinion that we need offensive weapons on the outside, and our DL needs serious improvement. Believe it or not, our DL took a major statistical downgrade this year on the advanced stats...especially McDonald.

Safety is the biggest need IMO and there just happens to be a top 10 S prospect who is getting hammered in the rankings because he got hurt i.e. Clinton-Dix. I love Whitner's physicality but he is a serious liability in coverage which is why our DC is forced to stick a LB on WR in the slot. We need better safety play, period. We also need a true #1 WR, and Crabtree isn't that guy.

Basically, I see our needs in priority as 1. True #1 WR; 2. S; 3. DE; 4. CB. I'm just not ready to throw out a flyer on a CB when there are far more certain players available at the other positions of need.
How does anyone have any confidence in any of the CB's in this class, especially to the point of trading up for them?

Trading up for anyone less then Clinton-Dix or Evans would be a huge mistake IMO. I would be open to trading up for Tuitt too.

Dennard is the only CB I think would be worth trading up for, beyond that, even if the 49ers stay pat, you'll have a variety of guys to choose from, the upside of the Dennard and Gilbert ascension could be that Verrett falls down the boards a bit. If Verrett is there, he'd be very hard to pass up, a crazy ballhawking type of defensive back.

Not a fan of trading up for Roby because there were too many lapses from him this season. While Dennard was leading a dangerous Michigan State defense, Roby was getting lit up far too often. I think in light of the season he had and the impressive seasons by the other prospects, it is entirely possible he falls out of the 1st round completely.

In the 2nd round he'd be good value, but not a guy I'd trade up for IMO.

Idaho, come at me bro.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2014 at 7:59 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Dennard is the only CB I think would be worth trading up for, beyond that, even if the 49ers stay pat, you'll have a variety of guys to choose from, the upside of the Dennard and Gilbert ascension could be that Verrett falls down the boards a bit. If Verrett is there, he'd be very hard to pass up, a crazy ballhawking type of defensive back.

Not a fan of trading up for Roby because there were too many lapses from him this season. While Dennard was leading a dangerous Michigan State defense, Roby was getting lit up far too often. I think in light of the season he had and the impressive seasons by the other prospects, it is entirely possible he falls out of the 1st round completely.

Idaho, come at me bro.

Pic made me lol,
I really don't like the trade up for Roby. I wouldn't even draft him in the 1st round. I agree with bigwads on the state of CB's in this years draft. Not to mention Roby was getting roasted a lot this year.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I really don't like the trade up for Roby. I wouldn't even draft him in the 1st round. I agree with bigwads on the state of CB's in this years draft. Not to mention Roby was getting roasted a lot this year.

I didn't like Roby's regression. He's still talented, super athletic, but not the top CB on the board like he was at the beginning of the season. I've watched ESPN's Scouting Inc drop Roby from first among cornerbacks in July to eight currently. While I don't think he's dropped back that far when it comes to being drafted, I do see three or four guys I'd take before him. Purifoy lost some of his luster too.

I wouldn't be upset if the 49ers took Roby with their original 1st rounder, there's a lot of talent to mold and the defensive coaching staff has done a good job in developing players but his struggles this season have given me pause, although its not necessarily about him, guys like Dennard and Gilbert played out of their minds, they stepped up and did very well, took advantage of their opportunities and passed him by.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I love this draft, this would be my plan B draft and I hope its the 9ers too.

Did i finally post one mr. mod approves of?

Yah I love it, Bradley Roby, Davante Adams, EJ Gaines and Jeff Janis are favorite picks and I think all could contribute in some way right outta the gate.
I didn't like Roby's regression. He's still talented, super athletic, but not the top CB on the board like he was at the beginning of the season. I've watched ESPN's Scouting Inc drop Roby from first among cornerbacks in July to eight currently. While I don't think he's dropped back that far when it comes to being drafted, I do see three or four guys I'd take before him. Purifoy lost some of his luster too.

I wouldn't be upset if the 49ers took Roby with their original 1st rounder, there's a lot of talent to mold and the defensive coaching staff has done a good job in developing players but his struggles this season have given me pause, although its not necessarily about him, guys like Dennard and Gilbert played out of their minds, they stepped up and did very well, took advantage of their opportunities and passed him by.
True. I'm a Michigan fan and watched tons of Big 10 and Roby just flat out regressed. Players do have bad years and the guy does have talent to be molded. But Dennard on the other hand just looked and played the part all year. Man coverage bump and run at times with no safety help. And he held his own. Staff has done a great job coaching up Reid, Culliver, and Brock. I like Olomu from Oregon aswell. After that though it's just alot of guys i kinda got grouped together.
Not crazy about trading up for Roby or Adams. I seriously doubt that Roby goes mid 1st round and I would rather wait and select Justin Gilbert if he is available.

If the Niners are going to use picks to move up in the draft I would like to go after Watkins or Lee.

Idaho, come at me bro.

While it was indeed a down year for Roby, his production was still there, and he has three years of film to look at. There were some distractions there for him i think, with the suspension to start, and a ton of pressure was dumped in his lap when Bryant was lost for the season. Excuses i know. His athleticism is among the best in this class as well as his speed. He is a gamer and i like his attitude on the football field. Some of his issues such as being late to look for the ball at times are very coachable. I think he will have a real good offseason and cement himself into that 15-25 range. No way he falls out of the first round IMO, but stranger things have happened i guess, and it looks to be a QB heavy first round this year. A third might be too much for some, and like i mentioned i dont really know how the value chart plays out on that, but i would take him somewhere around 20 for sure if he is there. His ceiling is sky high. Like i said im higher on him than a lot of guys will be. He was the consensus #1 CB coming into the season, and while he may not be viewed that way currently, some of these rankings i have seen on him lately are just ridiculous. No way he has fallen like that in NFL scouts minds.

Its all right, seems we disagree on some of these guys in the secondary this year, Last year we agreed on quite a few secondary guys (though not on all). Its all right man, you can't be right every year.

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Not crazy about trading up for Roby or Adams. I seriously doubt that Roby goes mid 1st round and I would rather wait and select Justin Gilbert if he is available.

If the Niners are going to use picks to move up in the draft I would like to go after Watkins or Lee.

You seriously would not be happy with Adams at the top of the second? A redshirt sophmore with incredible hands and sky high ceiling? Adams at the top of the second would be a steal.

Watkins aint gonna happen, people just need to forget about it.
Originally posted by lamontb:

True. I'm a Michigan fan and watched tons of Big 10 and Roby just flat out regressed. Players do have bad years and the guy does have talent to be molded. But Dennard on the other hand just looked and played the part all year. Man coverage bump and run at times with no safety help. And he held his own. Staff has done a great job coaching up Reid, Culliver, and Brock. I like Olomu from Oregon aswell. After that though it's just alot of guys i kinda got grouped together.

Totally agree Roby regressed this year imo his best year was last year. Dennard is the only #1 CB in this draft class and maybe Safety or Wr will be our priority heading to the draft

Idaho, come at me bro.

While it was indeed a down year for Roby, his production was still there, and he has three years of film to look at. There were some distractions there for him i think, with the suspension to start, and a ton of pressure was dumped in his lap when Bryant was lost for the season. Excuses i know. His athleticism is among the best in this class as well as his speed. He is a gamer and i like his attitude on the football field. Some of his issues such as being late to look for the ball at times are very coachable. I think he will have a real good offseason and cement himself into that 15-25 range. No way he falls out of the first round IMO, but stranger things have happened i guess, and it looks to be a QB heavy first round this year. A third might be too much for some, and like i mentioned i dont really know how the value chart plays out on that, but i would take him somewhere around 20 for sure if he is there. His ceiling is sky high. Like i said im higher on him than a lot of guys will be. He was the consensus #1 CB coming into the season, and while he may not be viewed that way currently, some of these rankings i have seen on him lately are just ridiculous. No way he has fallen like that in NFL scouts minds.

Its all right, seems we disagree on some of these guys in the secondary this year, Last year we agreed on quite a few secondary guys (though not on all). Its all right man, you can't be right every year.

Even if we take everything you just said as true, those points actually go against trading up for him...that is the point. Roby is a 2nd rounder. There are some guys worth trading up for, but he isn't one of them, and he may not even be worth a late 1st rounder. Dennard is the best CB coming out this year by far...after that there is a whole bunch of dudes in the mix for 2nd best CB none of which stir any kind of strong affinity IMO.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

You seriously would not be happy with Adams at the top of the second? A redshirt sophmore with incredible hands and sky high ceiling? Adams at the top of the second would be a steal.

Watkins aint gonna happen, people just need to forget about it.

I would be happier to deal a 4th to get Adams than a 3rd to move up for Roby thats for sure. But, I think Adams, Cooks, or Beckham could be available for the Niners with their 2nd rd pick.

My ideal first few picks:

1st Justin Gilbert - CB
2A Any of the 3 WRs I just named. Order would be Adams, Beckham, and Cooks
2B Travis Swanson C
3A Deonne Buchanon SS (deal 4th and first 3rd to move up to get him)
3B Morgan Breslin OLB ( like this kid but coming off injury)
Even if we take everything you just said as true, those points actually go against trading up for him...that is the point. Roby is a 2nd rounder. There are some guys worth trading up for, but he isn't one of them, and he may not even be worth a late 1st rounder. Dennard is the best CB coming out this year by far...after that there is a whole bunch of dudes in the mix for 2nd best CB none of which stir any kind of strong affinity IMO.

Look your entitled to your opinion, But blanket statements like "Roby is a 2nd rounder" are pretty ridiculous at this time of year. Hell he could sky rocket with a good offseason, and he could also fall tremendously. Almost nobody thought Reid was worth trading up for, and look how that turned out. Sure everybody got on board quickly, but pre draft you would be hard pressed to find someone that agreed with that move. Its still so early in the offseason that these guys are gonna shift back and fourth a good amount. Look what happened to Star Lotulelei last draft when most had him as the #1 prospect in the draft at this point last year.

Besides, its kind of pointless for me to get into a discussion about CB's with a guy that quite obviously hates the CB class and doesnt want us to take one early period. Thats all fine and dandy, but doesnt really make for good realistic discussion about the class.

You feel that DL and S are bigger needs and have stated that you feel S is our liability in the secondary, which is fine, I happen to disagree with that. I actually feel that if we can bring back Whitner that the S spots on our defense are the strength of the secondary currently. Whitner and Reid have great chemistry and complement each other very nicely.

Now if like you said, we have Brock, Wright, Culliver and Rogers all back next season, then your right i probably would maybe reconsider a CB in the first, and especially would reconsider 2 so early, but lets get real, thats not happening. Its almost a foreseen conclusion that Rogers will be gone, and there is no telling if we will resign wright or not. That leaves a real thin CB group.

You also stated we need a "True #1 WR" and that you feel crabtree isaint a #1. What in your book qualifies a #1? Yes we need WR help, but that isaint because Crabtree isaint a good WR, its because at the end of the season we will be thin at WR and need to bring in some guys to develop and compliment our core, and to provide insurance in case we cant bring Crabtree back. Its not like WR's with Crabtrees talent just fall out of the sky into your lap. He is a good WR and thats coming from a guy that was his biggest critic for most of his time here.

Like i said i understand that some will agree with my rankings of Roby. Thats fine, people often disagree with some of the prospects im high on, but CB will almost for certain be the biggest need of the off season, followed closely by WR depth.
Share 49ersWebzone