Does anyone know the rating system that they use?
This is what I found. I do not know if it is accurate.
The board is composed of general managers and personnel directors from a number of NFL teams, along with the directors of the NFL's two scouting combines, BLESTO and The National.
The panel issues an advisory opinion that a player has potential to be picked:
in the first round
as high as the second round
as high as the third round
after the third round
in no round at all
or some range thereof. These apparently can include a specific opinion that a player will be drafted in the "third or fourth round" or "first or second round", which is usually known as a "first day" pick, because Round 1 is on the first day of the draft.
Another sources says this:
What kind of evaluation does the committee give back to the player?
When I would interview underclassmen at the Combine I would always ask them if they had submitted their name to the advisory committee for an evaluation and what grade did they get back. More often than not the player would say that the committee said "I would be drafted in the second half of the first round" or "I'd be a high 2." Sorry guys
that's not true. When a player gets his evaluation back it says:
1) You have the ability to be drafted as high as the 1st round.
2) You have the ability to be drafted as high as the 2nd round.
3) You have the ability to be drafted as high as the 3rd round.
4) You probably won't be drafted in the first three rounds but you may be drafted in rounds 4 through 7.
5) You probably won't be drafted.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 1, 2014 at 6:34 AM ]