There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Matt Miller (Bleacher Report) Full Mock Draft - 12/30

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I would love to bring Boldin back, but personally, right now i see Whitner as the bigger priority. Too many what ifs in the secondary if he isain't resigned. Im also not sold on this years S class. It was much stronger last year and thats why a lot of us guys wanted two S taken in early round last draft. Didn't happen and here we are. WR class is fairly strong, and Crabtree will hopefully be 100% starting the season and Patton seems to have nice potential.

Personally i would take a couple WR's and CB's before the halfway point in the draft, then take a S project or two in the mid to later rounds. Sean Parker, or Christian Bryant for example.

Like i said, i hope Boldin is back, but personally i see Whitner as the biggest priority this offseason.

You make good points re: Boldin vs Whitner. I may be overly optimistic about the staff's ability to replace Whitner... but last year we thought Goldson >> Whitner and Goldson was easily replaced by a rookie. Yes, it was a top-20 rookie, but still.

I just can't see any way you can replace the type of receiver Boldin is. He's all about toughness and veteran know-how. I'd hate to see him on another team at this point. And I don't see how he can be replaced even if we spam WR in the draft. That would leave Crabtree and Patton as our 1-2.
This is off-topic and totally the wrong thread, but....

Jenkins over Jeffery SMDH
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I would love to bring Boldin back, but personally, right now i see Whitner as the bigger priority. Too many what ifs in the secondary if he isain't resigned. Im also not sold on this years S class. It was much stronger last year and thats why a lot of us guys wanted two S taken in early round last draft. Didn't happen and here we are. WR class is fairly strong, and Crabtree will hopefully be 100% starting the season and Patton seems to have nice potential.

Personally i would take a couple WR's and CB's before the halfway point in the draft, then take a S project or two in the mid to later rounds. Sean Parker, or Christian Bryant for example.

Like i said, i hope Boldin is back, but personally i see Whitner as the biggest priority this offseason.

You make good points re: Boldin vs Whitner. I may be overly optimistic about the staff's ability to replace Whitner... but last year we thought Goldson >> Whitner and Goldson was easily replaced by a rookie. Yes, it was a top-20 rookie, but still.

I just can't see any way you can replace the type of receiver Boldin is. He's all about toughness and veteran know-how. I'd hate to see him on another team at this point. And I don't see how he can be replaced even if we spam WR in the draft. That would leave Crabtree and Patton as our 1-2.

Boldin is a stud no doubt. One of, if not my favorite WR's in the league since he was drafted, but i'm just terrified with this years crop at S. Last years was MUCH stronger IMO, and Reid and Whitner have a good chemistry going back there. They are the strength of the secondary, and there are simply going to be too many holes at CB for me to be comfortable having another hole as SS.

Boldin is irreplaceable for sure, but there are some WR's that could step in and do a great job complimenting what we have in Crabtree and Patton, and im much more confident in the WR class than the S class. Adams could be a great physical jump ball guy and RZ monster with still a lot of room for growth. Cooks could add some shiftyness and dynamic play making ability, and a later round guy like Janis could be that big physical fast deep threat. Thats obviously just naming a couple of guys i happen to like from the draft, but its a strong class and there are a lot of guys that are there to take than can help this WR group tremendously.
Thats a list of who we wont draft

Jeffery is my dude. Wanted to take him badly in the first when he was there. Jenkins was a huge reach, BUT at the time not many on the board where that high on Jeffery TBH. Many here called him fat and lazy, they would post the SI picture etc. For some reason there were a lot of misconceptions about him, and many here will still try to tell you the reason he wasn't drafted higher is because he gained weight in the offseason, which is tremendously false. He changed his entire workout program going into the combine, lost a lot of weight, and was in the best shape of his career. For what ever reason there were just a lot of misconceptions and rumors floating around about the kid and he fell farther than he should have because of it.

Jenkins though was a huge reach. We all tried to justify the reach after the pick because thats what you do as a fan, but anyone that was paying attention pre draft knew it was a huge reach. We aren't talking about an Aldon type of reach, we are talking about drafting a guy at least two rounds too high.
Whitner is gone his type of game is getting phased out of the league
A lot of people seems to think WR early, but is that necessary? I believe the priority is to re-sign Boldin and dump Manningham (unless he renegotiates). Assuming we go into next season with Boldin, Crabtree and Patton, that's not a bad starting three to begin next season. By contrast, the 49ers are facing Culliver coming off injuries and the losses of Rodgers and Brown. The 49ers don't need a LB early but could take one if someone falls and they've already red-shirted 2 DL (Carradine, Dial) and a RB. James has been serviceable as a return guy so a speedy WR who can return isn't as much of a need either.

Pressing Needs:
1. Starting CB, rotational...
2. S depth
3. C depth

Nice to haves:
1. WR who can stretch the field vertically.
2. Edge rushing LB.
3. DL depth. (we have to remain strong here to face the Rams, Seahawks and Cards twice per year)
4. Backup QB.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Dec 31, 2013 at 6:30 AM ]
Originally posted by bzborow1:
A lot of people seems to think WR early, but is that necessary? I believe the priority is to re-sign Boldin and dump Manningham (unless he renegotiates). Assuming we go into next season with Boldin, Crabtree and Patton, that's not a bad starting three to begin next season. By contrast, the 49ers are facing Culliver coming off injuries and the losses of Rodgers and Brown. The 49ers don't need a LB early but could take one if someone falls and they've already red-shirted 2 DL (Carradine, Dial) and a RB. James has been serviceable as a return guy so a speedy WR who can return isn't as much of a need either.

Pressing Needs:
2. S depth
3. C depth

Nice to haves:
2. Edge rushing LB.
3. DL depth. (we have to remain strong here to face the Rams, Seahawks and Cards twice per year)
4. Backup QB.

I would move the WR and back QB needs up to the "must have" category. The other position that is missing is swing OT as a "nice to have" need.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Pressing Needs:
2. S depth
3. C depth

Nice to haves:
2. Edge rushing LB.
4. Backup QB.

I would move the WR and back QB needs up to the "must have" category. The other position that is missing is swing OT as a "nice to have" need.
Ditto. There's no guarantee Crabtree will regain what average speed he had. Boldin is a slow if supreme possession receiver. Patton completes this corps of receivers possession types only. They allow a press defense (read: Seattle) to be effective. Gore also is slow. This requires long drives, which prey on Kaepernick's lack of consistency.

I'd like to see two receivers able to take advantage of Kaepernick's long throws. Vernon is fast but not agile. Long completions will force openings for power running. Two CBs and WRs early.
You guys seen the list of safties. Whitner is easily the best outta that group and will demand top dollar. And probably get it from teams like Philly who need a enforcer in thier secondary. If you want good players you gonna have to pay for them. Sadly the cap gonna force the niners to get rid of some good talent.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I don't get it. 3 DL, a OLB, and 1 WR early, and only 1 CB, makes no sense IMO.

Exactly.......its crap.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Pressing Needs:
2. S depth
3. C depth

Nice to haves:
2. Edge rushing LB.
4. Backup QB.

Yea, CB, WR, S, QB, OL, are IMO the pressing needs and in that order. Personally i would love to see us move up a bit and snag a guy like Roby in the first, then come back in the second and snag a WR, moving up again if necessary to target a guy we like.

Jeffery is my dude. Wanted to take him badly in the first when he was there. Jenkins was a huge reach, BUT at the time not many on the board where that high on Jeffery TBH. Many here called him fat and lazy, they would post the SI picture etc. For some reason there were a lot of misconceptions about him, and many here will still try to tell you the reason he wasn't drafted higher is because he gained weight in the offseason, which is tremendously false. He changed his entire workout program going into the combine, lost a lot of weight, and was in the best shape of his career. For what ever reason there were just a lot of misconceptions and rumors floating around about the kid and he fell farther than he should have because of it.

Jenkins though was a huge reach. We all tried to justify the reach after the pick because thats what you do as a fan, but anyone that was paying attention pre draft knew it was a huge reach. We aren't talking about an Aldon type of reach, we are talking about drafting a guy at least two rounds too high.

I wanna cry about it. I did a collaborative mock, which will happen again here. But did it for NCH, and took Alshon 30th, and got clowned on, now it looks like I was correct.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

I wanna cry about it. I did a collaborative mock, which will happen again here. But did it for NCH, and took Alshon 30th, and got clowned on, now it looks like I was correct.

Yea, there were a few of us that were real high on him, but the overwhelming majority of fans were not for whatever reason. Most of it was to justify the love affairs with guys like Hill and Randle who were favorites around here. But yea, if you mentioned Jeffery as a late first rounder you got mocked. They would tell you he was fat and slow, had horrible work ethic, and would be a bust in the NFL. Then they would post this picture as proof.......

The WR class this year is much stronger than the safety class this year. Receivers I like are Lee, Evans, Watkins, Landry, Beckham, Adams, Moncrief, Robinson, Cooks, and Matthews. Ahmad Dixon and Craig Loston are really the only two strong safeties worth getting at this point, and even then they are extremely overvalued because there are so few. As much as I love Boldin, he's 33. Whitner, on the other hand is 28. They are both leaders and invaluable vets, but given the draft class and age of our free agents I'd definitely choose Whitner over Boldin.

As far as Matt Millers mock. I love the Lee, Dixon, Gaines and Boyd picks. I'd be extremely happy with those guys in red and gold.