LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Matt Miller (Bleacher Report) Full Mock Draft - 12/30

Figured I'd do a public service and save everyone the trouble of clicking through the 40-page slideshow (seriously, BR, with the freaking slideshows....)

Rd 1: WR Marquise Lee, USC
Rd 2: SS Ahmad Dixon, Baylor
Rd 2: CB E.J. Gaines, Missouri
Rd 3: QB Tajh Boyd, Clemson
Rd 3: DE Ed Stinson, Alabama
Rd 4: OLB Jeremiah Attaochu
Rd 5: TE Joe Don Duncan, Dixie State
Rd 6: NT Ryan Carrethers, Arkansas State
Rd 7: WR Shaq Evans, UCLA
Rd 7: OT Donald Hawkins, Texas
Rd 7: DT Beau Allen, Wisconsin
Rd 7: FS Jeremy Deering, Rutgers

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1906095-2014-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-complete-7-round-projections/page/1
[ Edited by LieutKaffee on Dec 30, 2013 at 9:10 PM ]
Boyd would be a steal in te 3rd! and for lee, it depends on how patton does.
I don't get it. 3 DL, a OLB, and 1 WR early, and only 1 CB, makes no sense IMO.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

What do you mean 3 DL early? He only took one DL in the first five rounds.

I definitely agree with hitting the secondary hard early and trying to get another weapon at WR. I won't quibble with you if you say he should replace the SS with another CB. CB depth is probably a bigger need, depending on what happens with Brown and Rogers and Whitner.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

I definitely agree with hitting the secondary hard early and trying to get another weapon at WR. I won't quibble with you if you say he should replace the SS with another CB. CB depth is probably a bigger need, depending on what happens with Brown and Rogers and Whitner.

Didn't mean early, meant 1 WR only early. Meant in total 3 DL. I don't see a DL as a pick. Same for a OLB, Lemonier and Skuta are great backups IMO.

I do like Lee and Dixon picks. And Boyd would be a steal.

Didn't mean early, meant 1 WR only early. Meant in total 3 DL. I don't see a DL as a pick. Same for a OLB, Lemonier and Skuta are great backups IMO.

I haven't begun nerding out on prospects yet, but yeah, with five picks in the first three rounds, I would say at least two CBs.

I haven't begun nerding out on prospects yet, but yeah, with five picks in the first three rounds, I would say at least two CBs.

Yeah 1 CB isn't enough with the potential of cutting Rogers, and losing Brown in FA. And another early WR for me, since Mario is likely gone.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Yeah 1 CB isn't enough with the potential of cutting Rogers, and losing Brown in FA. And another early WR for me, since Mario is likely gone.

If I had my way we'd cut Rogers, let Brown walk, resign Wright on a hometown deal and draft 2 CBs in 2nd and 3rd respectively. Probably even keep Cox at least into TC and preseason.

Brock, Cox, Culliver, Rookie, Rookie, Wright....Kind of scary but I think there is a lot of talent in the 2nd/3rd round for CBs.

Doing this would give us the money necessary to resign Boldin, Whitner, Wright, and make the necessary low risk/high reward FAs we're accustomed too and have some room for in-season extensions we routinely offer as well. Probably go something like

Round 1: WR
Round 2: CB
Round 2: SS (if we lose Whitner I'd flip SS to round 1 though)
Round 3: CB
Round 3: WR

We'll need to replace Manningham, probably Baldwin at WR and that is IF we resign Boldin. Otherwise we'd need 3 WRs in FA or the draft. I really am anxious to see who is the higher priority from Baalke's POV between Boldin, Whitner, Brown.

TB will want a lot of money because no matter how you cut it he's grossly outplayed his $1.5M per year avg, Whitner made less than $4M per year and should be in line for raise, and Boldin has been worth every penny of the $6M he's cost and probably want similar value.....
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 30, 2013 at 9:56 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
If I had my way we'd cut Rogers, let Brown walk, resign Wright on a hometown deal and draft 2 CBs in 2nd and 3rd respectively. Probably even keep Cox at least into TC and preseason.

Brock, Cox, Culliver, Rookie, Rookie, Wright....Kind of scary but I think there is a lot of talent in the 2nd/3rd round for CBs.

Doing this would give us the money necessary to resign Boldin, Whitner, Wright, and make the necessary low risk/high reward FAs we're accustomed too and have some room for in-season extensions we routinely offer as well. Probably go something like

We'll need to replace Manningham, probably Baldwin at WR and that is IF we resign Boldin. Otherwise we'd need 3 WRs in FA or the draft. I really am anxious to see who is the higher priority from Baalke's POV between Boldin, Whitner, Brown.

TB will want a lot of money because no matter how you cut it he's grossly outplayed his $1.5M per year avg, Whitner made less than $4M per year and should be in line for raise, and Boldin has been worth every penny of the $6M he's cost and probably want similar value.....

Boldin should be higher priority than Whitner and Brown. He's got a few years left and the way he's playing we might as well let him finish his career here. He shouldn't command too much $$, and his play has been irreplaceable.

Secondary pieces are more fungible, imho, especially when they ask for big raises. See: Goldson.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Boldin should be higher priority than Whitner and Brown. He's got a few years left and the way he's playing we might as well let him finish his career here. He shouldn't command too much $$, and his play has been irreplaceable.

Secondary pieces are more fungible, imho, especially when they ask for big raises. See: Goldson.

mhmm I think Boldin is #1 priority, he's been invaluable for us.

So while I like the idea of getting a top WR in the 1st round I kind of think it would be best to do 2013 round 1 redo and trade up and take the best CB/SS we can get; depending on who we don't resign out of Whiter and Brown. I think Rogers is gone for sure cause we have the leverage of Eric Wright at a younger age and a much cheaper price tag.

mhmm I think Boldin is #1 priority, he's been invaluable for us.

So while I like the idea of getting a top WR in the 1st round I kind of think it would be best to do 2013 round 1 redo and trade up and take the best CB/SS we can get; depending on who we don't resign out of Whiter and Brown. I think Rogers is gone for sure cause we have the leverage of Eric Wright at a younger age and a much cheaper price tag.

I'm generally hesitant to trade up because I get attached to so many prospects in the 2-4 range. But I can't complain about Eric Reid.

That said, Brock/Culliver/Wright is a halfway decent talent base. I don't think we're desperate there. If we can re-sign Whitner for a reasonable price, our secondary is in surprisingly good shape. So while I definitely think we need to hit it a couple times in the draft, I don't know if we need to get too crazy.

I agree Boldin should be priority #1. Then Whitner, and Dawson in no order. I think Dawson is the easiest signing, if Seely is here, Dawson stays. Brown likely bolts. I was told he wasn't happy about losing the $2M escalator. And he was offered the deal Brock got, and declined.

Rogers should be cut. Wright re-signed, re-sign Cox, draft 2 CBs early. The toughest is Whitner, I want him back, but I dont or at least hope he doesn't command a lot of money. He is still young in a way, similar to Brown's age. So it makes sense. If we can get Donte at $4M a yr it's worth it.

Basically retain Boldin at $5-$6M a yr, Whitner at $4M a yr, Dawson at $2.5M for 1 yr, tender Wilhoite, re-sign Cox and Wright to minimum deals. Wright would have incentives, and roster bonuses, stuff that protects us in case problems happen.

Then restructure Vernon and P-Willis and extend them, save cap space. Also maybe McDonald.

And look into extending Kap, Aldon, Crabs, and Bruce Miller.

Brooks deal shoul de-escalate about $1.6M down, and Miller should get a raise from $645K to $1.33M due to playing time and performance.

I would love to bring Boldin back, but personally, right now i see Whitner as the bigger priority. Too many what ifs in the secondary if he isain't resigned. Im also not sold on this years S class. It was much stronger last year and thats why a lot of us guys wanted two S taken in early round last draft. Didn't happen and here we are. WR class is fairly strong, and Crabtree will hopefully be 100% starting the season and Patton seems to have nice potential.

Personally i would take a couple WR's and CB's before the halfway point in the draft, then take a S project or two in the mid to later rounds. Sean Parker, or Christian Bryant for example.

Like i said, i hope Boldin is back, but personally i see Whitner as the biggest priority this offseason.
I agree Boldin should be priority #1. Then Whitner, and Dawson in no order. I think Dawson is the easiest signing, if Seely is here, Dawson stays. Brown likely bolts. I was told he wasn't happy about losing the $2M escalator. And he was offered the deal Brock got, and declined.

Rogers should be cut. Wright re-signed, re-sign Cox, draft 2 CBs early. The toughest is Whitner, I want him back, but I dont or at least hope he doesn't command a lot of money. He is still young in a way, similar to Brown's age. So it makes sense. If we can get Donte at $4M a yr it's worth it.

Basically retain Boldin at $5-$6M a yr, Whitner at $4M a yr, Dawson at $2.5M for 1 yr, tender Wilhoite, re-sign Cox and Wright to minimum deals. Wright would have incentives, and roster bonuses, stuff that protects us in case problems happen.

Then restructure Vernon and P-Willis and extend them, save cap space. Also maybe McDonald.

Brooks deal shoul de-escalate about $1.6M down, and Miller should get a raise from $645K to $1.33M due to playing time and performance.

Well, I obviously can't say any of this any better than that.

Kap, Aldon, and Crabtree are franchise players. Simple.

We already have a franchise OL and LB corps. And now a franchise FS. This is why I want to take two CBs early. We won't draft in the top 10 in the foreseeable future, but if you swing twice, better chance you knock it out.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

No way we get Whitner to resign at essentially the same value of his current deal. He made $3.9M per year under his current deal...even if it is nothing but a contract year abheration the market will dictate that he makes more money than $4M per year. He'd have to give us one hell of a discount to come back at the price.

I think it is more reasonable to assume Boldin will come back at a value comparable to the $6M he made this year. However the FO will set a precedent for Crabtree if they offer a 33/34 year old Boldin $6-7M a year when Crabtree is already making $6M a year from his old rookie deal. Will the FO be willing to give Crabtree the $8M give or take a few mill he could be worth?
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone