There are 154 users in the forums

Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin

Originally posted by spizzy:
LOL at Benjamin being a 4.4 guy. I would not be surprised if he ran a 4.6. Dude is not only not fast, but might be slow

Benjamin's has been reported running a 4.52, but that's not very important IMO. More than likely, he's faster than our two starters (Boldin and Crabs) which tells you speed isn't everything if you have the ability to be a playmaker. IMO, Benjamin has that ability so the question for me is more about how high he's drafted.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 12, 2014 at 6:33 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Benjamin's has been reported running a 4.52, but that's not very important IMO. More than likely, he's faster than our two starters (Boldin and Crabs) which tells you speed isn't everything if you have the ability to be a playmaker. IMO, Benjamin has that ability so the question for me is more about high high he's drafted.

I know speed isnt everything, I completely agree with that. But his reported time is probably an exaggeration, I would not be surprised if Crabtree could beat him in a race. That said, I do think he's a good player and wouldnt mind if we got him
  • sfout
  • Veteran
LOL at Benjamin being a 4.4 guy. I would not be surprised if he ran a 4.6. Dude is not only not fast, but might be slow

I know speed isnt everything, I completely agree with that. But his reported time is probably an exaggeration, I would not be surprised if Crabtree could beat him in a race. That said, I do think he's a good player and wouldnt mind if we got him

He really did run a 4.4 his true freshman year. That was 3 years ago though and 20 pounds lighter and less training. I'm sure he'll run near a 4.55 but that is not important, he's going to make a living on intermediate/short routes and jump balls.
4.7 at the combine. Book it.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

4.6-4.7 I agree. Dude is slow
Originally posted by sfout:

He really did run a 4.4 his true freshman year. That was 3 years ago though and 20 pounds lighter and less training. I'm sure he'll run near a 4.55 but that is not important, he's going to make a living on intermediate/short routes and jump balls.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Dont care he gets off on his routes quick and has more than enough speed to run by people.
Man, Draft this guy.. Just do it Trent! Maybe its time to infiltrate the NFL Draft, we can get someone from the boards on the inside. So inside, in fact, that they are the one writing down the name on the draft card.. I volunteer..... myself!
The thing I would want to know is how intelligent he is on the football field. He seems a bit slow in and out of breaks, and doesn't have that extra gear, but he is strong, and seems to have pretty good hands (he had the dropsies in the national championship game). How can he adapt to the big boy league?
My concern with Benjamin is his usefulness between the 20's. He's a great jump ball receiver, but he struggles mightily in traffic. His technique in terms of route running and separation will certainly improve. Still, I don't agree with drafting receivers who don't possess great OVERALL ball skills.

Baalke got it right with this years stable of WR's. Crabs, Boldin, VD and even Patton can do it all! In's, out's, seam routes, screens, fly's...anything you want! Continuing to draft WR's who can catch in all facets of the position is the way to go!
We need WRs that can run good routes to get open and have good enough hands to catch Kaep's fastball. Benjamin looks impressive, but I have my doubts about him getting separation in the NFC West. I d prefer Devante Adams, Jordan Matthews or Jered Abberderis to name a few over Benjamin.

Share 49ersWebzone