There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do we need to draft a Center?

I think we need some help at the WR position and DB is always a need. Slowey hasn't really seemed to be the standout we hoped for however, injured his first year, this season has acted as his rookie year.

With that said, I feel like one of the most, if not the most, pressing need on our team is the C position. I haven't seen enough from Kilgore to know if he's the future and I have seen Slowey take some reps there but I'm not convienced. Center is the position of need IMO.....thoughts?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by suckafree17:
I think we need some help at the WR position and DB is always a need. Slowey hasn't really seemed to be the standout we hoped for however, injured his first year, this season has acted as his rookie year.

With that said, I feel like one of the most, if not the most, pressing need on our team is the C position. I haven't seen enough from Kilgore to know if he's the future and I have seen Slowey take some reps there but I'm not convienced. Center is the position of need IMO.....thoughts?

No we've been grooming Kilgore for what will be 3 years at the end of this season, Looney has also been taking reps at center. We'll sign another veteran to a team friendly deal.

Also by Slowey do you mean Looney? Cause Slowey didn't even make the team going into the final preseason game LAST YEAR.
Are you confusing Jason Slowey with Looney? Slowey is no longer a 49er.

As for need at C... I don't think anyone here can really answer this. We simply don't know what the F/O sees in Kilgore.. or Looney (who I thought was also being looked at as a potential C).

My guess is that Kilgore would adequately replace Goodwin. So I don't necessarily think we need to burn a pick in the first 2 days on a C. If they really like someone who falls to the mid-rds... someone who they think of as a much higher rd pick? I could see them pouncing.
Yes Looney not Slowey sorry.
I wouldnt mind us spending a 3rd pick on a C/G combo type player...
Hard to say - I guess it depends on which FA we plan to keep.

Goodwin is goodbye. Kilgore Looney are in line. The question is if the coaches feel they can do the job.
Travis Swanson, Tyler Larsen, or Weston Richburg for me at Center. Mid rounds I would take a Center.
anyone else notice that cody Wallace has been starting at C for the steelers? Couldn't believe he was still in the league. Unless a guy is a stud C, that starts right away, they have to be able to play G too.
Originally posted by cory4903:
anyone else notice that cody Wallace has been starting at C for the steelers? Couldn't believe he was still in the league. Unless a guy is a stud C, that starts right away, they have to be able to play G too.
Wallace also loves giving free prostate exams.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I wouldnt mind us spending a 3rd pick on a C/G combo type player...

I wholeheartedly agree.

Demarcus Smith has experience at both center and guard.

I almost did not mention him. He is from Southern Cal.

I do not want to precipitate a remember Chilo Rachal exchange.
[ Edited by buck on Dec 28, 2013 at 6:31 PM ]
If the best player available is a center, that's the direction you go.. When you're a perennial playoff contender you stay that way by drafting the best at key positions.
Anytime there is a good play Kilgore is one of the first out there to congratulate the player. Can he play? He should get his shot next year.
Yes we need a center. The amount of cap we are allocating toward center is rediculous.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Anytime there is a good play Kilgore is one of the first out there to congratulate the player. Can he play? He should get his shot next year.

Kilgore, in my opinion, will get his shot. In fact, I think he will be the starting center next year.

Although using a mid round pick on a center would provide us with better depth.
I think so. If Kilgore or Looney were the answer they would be playing ahead of Goodwin already.