There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Shayne Skov - LB Stanford

  • Liono
  • Member
  • Posts: 601
Shayne is an interesting prospect, he reminds me of Gary Plummer. He's a total animal, very intense, strong at the point of the attack and great instincts. He was a big part of Stanford shutting down Oregon's run game. But a 5.1+ 40 will probably really hurt his draft stock. NFL teams usually don't spend high picks on backers who don't have speed. Is Skov just another Bosworth/Katzenmoyer? The niners should take a look at him in the 2nd round. He'd be great in short yardage and goal line situations.



[ Edited by Liono on Dec 24, 2013 at 2:51 PM ]
No way we use a high pick on a LB ...It would be a wasted pick ...
  • Liono
  • Member
  • Posts: 601
A good player is never a wasted pick.
Oooooooohh. Bazinga
He is an inside backer isn't he? No way do we draft another ILB with a pick like that. He is a wide awake player though and I admire his play but won't happen.
In the second round? In my Vince McMahon voice, "no chance in heellllllll". With that said, I've loved Skov since his freshman year, but I'd be shocked if we drafted an ILB higher than round 5 if we even draft one at all. There's a difference between drafting a position where someone has the chance of starting (WR/CB/G/C) verses drafting a position where its a certainty you will be a back up (all linebacker positions, running back, tight end).
He will go sometime after the third round. He isn't a great athlete nor fast enough.
If its a 4th or 5th round I would take a shot can be a back up and play special teams imo
lol no just no to taking him in the 2nd
  • Liono
  • Member
  • Posts: 601
Many a team has kicked themselves in the ass for passing up on a great player because they already had talent at that position. The niners had Spikes and Willis when they drafted Bowman, we had Smith when we drafted Kap. Look at all our 1st and 2nd rounders that have not amounted to jack squat. Take the best player on the board.
Originally posted by Liono:
Many a team has kicked themselves in the ass for passing up on a great player because they already had talent at that position. The niners had Spikes and Willis when they drafted Bowman, we had Smith when we drafted Kap. Look at all our 1st and 2nd rounders that have not amounted to jack squat. Take the best player on the board.

Firstly, I think it is unlikely that he will be anywhere near the best player on the board when we fill our 2nd round pick.

Secondly, I don't believe teams just draft BPA. BPA from a range of positions, certainly. But not just BPA. Right now we are strong at ILB and weaker at other positions. The conclusion is obvious.

If he drops to round 5, which is unlikely but not impossible he may be worth the gamble IMO. Otherwise it is quite possible he will be heading for free agency before we see much out of him except STs.
[ Edited by English on Jan 3, 2014 at 8:41 AM ]
Later round pick if available because he's too slow. Likely a practice squad or ST guy.
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Later round pick if available because he's too slow. Likely a practice squad or ST guy.

disagree with that. his straightline speed isn't like Bowman, but he plays much faster on the field and breaks for the tackle quick
Honestly, ILB would be the last position I'd want to see the 49ers drafting with Willis, Bowman, Wilhoite and Moody on the roster already.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Honestly, ILB would be the last position I'd want to see the 49ers drafting with Willis, Bowman, Wilhoite and Moody on the roster already.

agreed with you, but i feel like Skov can play outside, too. he's just that talented and versatile. he's all over the field. but yea, i dunno if i'd use a draft pick on him unless it was a 4th. he's just a good all around football player.