There are 177 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kenny Guiton, QB, Ohio State - Perfect Backup to Kaep

Originally posted by TommyFrazier:
Exactly my point, Karma.

I actually see him as being more comparable to Josh Johnson, except with more big time game potential, since he's played and practiced against top notch comp. But I can see the Shaun Hill comparison...I could see him possibly having a career trajectory similar to Hill.

Another thing to really like about Guiton is he seems to take the "easier" play to keep the drive alive. I love Braxton Miller's electricity on the field, but when he starts to struggle is when he looks for the home run on every play. Miller has been boom or bust throughout his career, while Guiton tends to be much more patient. The offense seems to be much more consistent with him in there.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Exactly my point, Karma.

I actually see him as being more comparable to Josh Johnson, except with more big time game potential, since he's played and practiced against top notch comp. But I can see the Shaun Hill comparison...I could see him possibly having a career trajectory similar to Hill.

Exactly what top notch competition has he played against ? Purdue ? San Diego St ? Florida A&M ? The 1-11 Cal Bears ?
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Exactly what top notch competition has he played against ? Purdue ? San Diego St ? Florida A&M ? The 1-11 Cal Bears ?

Pardon me, I didn't mean he played against top notch teams, I mean he practiced against TOP NOTCH talent and played against teams better than Josh Johnson played against at USD. I thought everyone was following the comparison.
Actually I said his physical attributes were similar to Kap not "he is just like him". Next time you use quotes, you should actually quote the person accurately.

And by "physical attributes" I am referring to his...wait for it...physical attributes. Lol. His height, weight and mobility are very similar to Kap when he left Nevada. Now if you don't believe Guiton is a great pick, you should just say that. But my initial quote is accurate.

I believe Kenny Guiton is listed at about 6' 2" to 6' 3" and 200lbs, while Kaep is listed on the NFL Combine site at 6' 5" and 233lbs. I am a little confused on why you think Guiton compares favorably and is "very similar" to Kaep on physical attributes? I used the Combine link since you had mentioned you were comparing them when Kaep came out of Nevada, although I guess he could've had time to bulk up a bit between the end of the season and the combine.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kenny_guiton_813484.html

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/colin-kaepernick?id=2495186

I actually agree that Guiton might be worth a late round/UDFA flyer given his experience at OSU, how he performed when Miller was hurt, and his skill set, but I would think the Niners will draft someone with more upside/experience a little earlier. I would not be averse to the Niners doubling down on QB prospects with one in the 3 - 5 range and one late round flyer.

I would personally love for the Niners to sign a better #2 than McCoy in the offseason, then with that security blanket take a shot at Logan Thomas' upside and perhaps also take Guiton to stash on the PS and develop.
Actually I said his physical attributes were similar to Kap not "he is just like him". Next time you use quotes, you should actually quote the person accurately.

And by "physical attributes" I am referring to his...wait for it...physical attributes. Lol. His height, weight and mobility are very similar to Kap when he left Nevada. Now if you don't believe Guiton is a great pick, you should just say that. But my initial quote is accurate.

6'2(realistically 6'1"-ish) and 210 pounds with a mediocre arm is "similar" to 6'5, 230 with a cannon arm? They're completely different players, if anything, Guilton has more in comparison with Keith Price of Washington than he does with Kaepernick.

"BRB, physically they're the same, one is just taller than the other, faster, stronger, has a bigger arm and weighs more, but other than that they are the same guy practically."
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
6'2(realistically 6'1"-ish) and 210 pounds with a mediocre arm is "similar" to 6'5, 230 with a cannon arm? They're completely different players, if anything, Guilton has more in comparison with Keith Price of Washington than he does with Kaepernick.

"BRB, physically they're the same, one is just taller than the other, faster, stronger, has a bigger arm and weighs more, but other than that they are the same guy practically."

do you like Price? I think he would be a great pickup for us in the 5-7th rounds. Smart, accurate, athletic, tough as nails, and played in a pro system under Steve Sarkisian for 5 years (3 starting).
Originally posted by spizzy:
do you like Price? I think he would be a great pickup for us in the 5-7th rounds. Smart, accurate, athletic, tough as nails, and played in a pro system under Steve Sarkisian for 5 years (3 starting).

I do, search for my thread on him. I think he'd be a nice pickup later on in the draft, he improved A LOT this season, dude put work in and it showed out on the field.
The
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I clearly said I was comparing HEIGHT WEIGHT AND MOBILITY. And you keep miscasting Guiton's height (which is stated at 6-3, but you even knocked him now down to 6-1) to make your point, Look, in order to disagree, you don't have to try to make my points invalid or ridiculous. Disagreeing works well enough. Maybe being dismissive is just something normal here, I don't know.

I have no idea what your last quote is about.

Back to the part that we agree about. My post was about Guiton being a very cheap understudy for Kap. Guiton is a late round/FA flyer type who probably wouldn't do bad being groomed in SF. He has the playing style and skillset to be an understudy in this offense...I also really like James Franklin (can you have two Frank The Tanks on one team tho? lol), as I stated in my post, but I know he'll probably go higher.
Originally posted by Spike1000:
I believe Kenny Guiton is listed at about 6' 2" to 6' 3" and 200lbs, while Kaep is listed on the NFL Combine site at 6' 5" and 233lbs. I am a little confused on why you think Guiton compares favorably and is "very similar" to Kaep on physical attributes? I used the Combine link since you had mentioned you were comparing them when Kaep came out of Nevada, although I guess he could've had time to bulk up a bit between the end of the season and the combine.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kenny_guiton_813484.html

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/colin-kaepernick?id=2495186

I actually agree that Guiton might be worth a late round/UDFA flyer given his experience at OSU, how he performed when Miller was hurt, and his skill set, but I would think the Niners will draft someone with more upside/experience a little earlier. I would not be averse to the Niners doubling down on QB prospects with one in the 3 - 5 range and one late round flyer.

I would personally love for the Niners to sign a better #2 than McCoy in the offseason, then with that security blanket take a shot at Logan Thomas' upside and perhaps also take Guiton to stash on the PS and develop.

I completely agree on us needing a better #2 than McCoy. Would you be comfortable if we rolled the dice on Thomas though? I haven't seen him enough. I've heard him compared to Culpepper and Josh Freeman that a decent sized spectrum. lol.