LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers 2014 Mock Draft V3.0-Christmas Edition

I'd be happy with this
Wtf? Someone had a 48 hour epiphany on Allen Robinson.
A Marshawn-Lynch-stopping NT is good. A 5'8" CB, not so good.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Awesome Mock Draft with insight.....I love you Phoenix.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

That 5'8" DB is fast, hard hitting and aggressive, everything I want covering the slot or the Wes Welkers, Santana Moss', Danny Amendola, Steve Smiths of the NFL. Anyone paying attention to FSU's secondary knows that Joyner and Terrance Brooks pretty much make that secondary.
Don't think that we will draft a run-stuffing monster NT. Iirc, we never lined up a fatty at NT under Fangio.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

That 5'8" DB is fast, hard hitting and aggressive, everything I want covering the slot or the Wes Welkers, Santana Moss', Danny Amendola, Steve Smiths of the NFL. Anyone paying attention to FSU's secondary knows that Joyner and Terrance Brooks pretty much make that secondary.
he is just 5-8? I don't know about that. I mean, 5-8 is REALLY small. Mismatch all sunday long, here we go.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
You mean to tell me CB's in the NFL that are 5'10" and 5'9" like say Tyrann Mathieu has a little bit more advantage? I believe its the fluidity, recovery speed and vertical that make a CB not so much the height. Carlos Rogers is 6' and he can't out jump a receiver to save his life.
if he jumps as high as a gazelle, i've never said a single word against him :p

in my "mock", over there in first three rounds thread, i told that i would draft a cb/fs tweener if possible. but i forgot the suggested names :D
BUT iirc, they are taller. yes, i am talking about guys who can play at FS.

Like I said in the intro man, watch Joyner play, the guy is everywhere, always making plays, he hits like a mack truck, is outstanding in pass coverage, a true ballhawk, he'd be the ideal cover man for some of those slot receivers that have given the 49ers trouble at times. You could also put him out at free safety as well.

In previous mock drafts I've taken Ricardo Allen who I still like a lot,another undersized CB but Joyner to me is just amazing, the more I watch of him, the more he looks like a real game-changer at the NFL level.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Like I said in the intro man, watch Joyner play, the guy is everywhere, always making plays, he hits like a mack truck, is outstanding in pass coverage, a true ballhawk, he'd be the ideal cover man for some of those slot receivers that have given the 49ers trouble at times. You could also put him out at free safety as well.

In previous mock drafts I've taken Ricardo Allen who I still like a lot,another undersized CB but Joyner to me is just amazing, the more I watch of him, the more he looks like a real game-changer at the NFL level.

Fulltime player that size (2nd round pick)? Last one I can think of is Bob Sanders who was also aggressive like Joyner. His body didn't last long tho. Too many freaks in the NFL. If he was matched up against huge TE's like Jimmy Graham, I'd be worried.

Anything is possible, but I dont believe NFL GM's would risk a 2nd round pick on an aggressive DB of his size. Especially in this era of concussions.
[ Edited by kronik on Dec 19, 2013 at 3:34 PM ]

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by communist:
if he jumps as high as a gazelle, i've never said a single word against him :p

in my "mock", over there in first three rounds thread, i told that i would draft a cb/fs tweener if possible. but i forgot the suggested names :D
BUT iirc, they are taller. yes, i am talking about guys who can play at FS.

lol

But I stop looking at the height of a CB for a while now, you see a lot of 5'10" 5'9' CBs succeeding in the NFL. The teams with the small speedy receivers always burn the 9ers.
yeah but the guy should be able to play at FS as well, i.e. cover incoming TEs effectivelly.
Originally posted by kronik:
Fulltime player that size (2nd round pick)? Last one I can think of is Bob Sanders who was also aggressive like Joyner. His body didn't last long tho. Too many freaks in the NFL. If he was matched up against huge TE's like Jimmy Graham, I'd be worried.

Anything is possible, but I dont believe NFL GM's would risk a 2nd round pick on an aggressive DB of his size. Especially in this era of concussions.

Sure they would, and they will. Joyner's talent pretty much speaks for itself. You think Arizona has any regrets about drafting Mathieu? Joyner has the same sort of explosive playmaking ability without the drug and character issues.
yeah but the guy should be able to play at FS as well, i.e. cover incoming TEs effectivelly.

Not really. That's why you have a strong safety and linebackers as well. Arizona started Mathieu at free safety for much of the season and protected him by using other pplayers to defend tight ends, of course their strong safety sucks so that didn't go as well but Joyner is a guy you can move around all over the field, a guy who tackles well, hits hard and covers a lot of ground in coverage. As a slot corner alone he's worth the pick.

The whole size thing can be highly overrated at times. Donte Whitner is 5'10", you're telling me that 2 inches of height makes such an enormous difference, especially for a guy who is a very explosive athlete and leaper?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 19, 2013 at 7:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Not really. That's why you have a strong safety and linebackers as well. Arizona started Mathieu at free safety for much of the season and protected him by using other pplayers to defend tight ends, of course their strong safety sucks so that didn't go as well but Joyner is a guy you can move around all over the field, a guy who tackles well, hits hard and covers a lot of ground in coverage. As a slot corner alone he's worth the pick.

The whole size thing can be highly overrated at times. Donte Whitner is 5'10", you're telling me that 2 inches of height makes such an enormous difference, especially for a guy who is a very explosive athlete and leaper?

Your coming along nicely.
Share 49ersWebzone