LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Give Me Your Ideal 1st - 3rd Round Mini Mock

It seems like this is a pretty deep WR class. I'm hoping a few of the premier wide receivers drop to us.

1. First round: Own pick Justin Gilbert CB 6-0 200lbs 4.52
2. Second round: Own pick Davante Adams WR 6-2 216lbs 4.56
3. Second round: Kansas City LaMarcus Joyner CB 5-8 190lbs 4.52
4. Third round: Tennessee Deone Bucannon SS 6-1 215lbs 4.57
5. Third round: Own pick Donte Moncrief WR 6-2 226lbs 4.49
6. **Third: Compensatory Tyler Larsen C 6-4 312lbs
7. Fourth round: Own pick Traded with 2nd for Adams
8. Fifth round: Own pick Aaron Murray QB 6-1 208lbs 4.84
9. Sixth round: Own pick Traded with 3rd for Moncrief
10. Seventh round: Carolina Jonathan Dowling FS 6-2 198lbs
11. Seventh round: New Orleans Tevin Reese WR 5-10 170lbs 4.38
12. Seventh round: Indianapolis Eathyn Manumaleuna DT 6-2 305lbs
13. Seventh round: Own pick Cornelius Lucas OT 6-8 328lbs

How realistic do you think this draft would be?
This is an early stab at a mini-mock knowing a lot can/will change in 4 months:

1.) Odell Beckham, WR - LSU (vertical threat we've lacked for years)
2.) Kyle Fuller, CB - Virginia Tech (eventual starting CB; nickel back early on)
2.) David Yankey, OL - Stanford (eventual replacement for Boone)
3.) Martavis Bryant, WR - Clemson (poor man's Kelvin Benjamin with just as much size, speed and talent)
3.) Nickoe Whitley, S - Miss St. (This kid will blow you up, and he has 15 career INTs)
3.) Victor Hampton, CB - South Carolina (talented and tough corner with off-field issues)
1. Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
- Physical corner that fits well in our scheme. He is solid in coverage and is the best tackling corner in the draft. Dennard really turned it on at the end of the season and played great against Stanford and Ohio State. Plug and play him from day one and he will be a solid pro in the NFL.

2. Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo
- Mack is an absolute stud off of the ball. He gets after the QB and plays physical. He would provide much needed pass rush. I would even entertain trading up to get him late in the 1st.

2. Odell Beckham WR LSU
- Provides speed and precise route running ability to compliment our WR group. He also is valuable in the return game.

3. David Yankey OL Stanford
- Power run game lineman who is a masher in the middle. Provides much needed depth behind the starters and can potentially start in the future if Iupati leaves in FA.

3. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
- Manningham and Baldwin are likely both gone after this year. Matthews is a great possession receiver who may drop due to lack of speed. He and Beckham would provide solid prospects to the passing game.

3. Carlos Hyde RB Ohio State
- Big physical runner that reminds me of Gore. With Dixon likely leaving in FA, Hyde will be a solid depth guy.
1. Darqueze Dennard, CB Probably IMO the biggest must-have in the draft for anyone in need of a CB (us). I'd trade up to around 15-20 to make sure we get him. But that's ideally.
2. E.J. Gaines, CB I think we can teach him to play safety. He hits well and has a knack for finding the ball in the air. Whitner's replacement when his contract is up maybe.
2. Gabe Jackson, OG Big body. Could replace Iupati if we can't afford him. Could be Goodwin's heir.
3. Travis Swanson, C Could be Goodwin's heir. Add more OL competition.
3. Aaron Murray, QB Big time QB potential. If Harbaugh does him right he could be worth a 1st-2nd rounder in a few years for QB hungry teams.
3. Daniel McCullers, NT Big body. Clog the middle. Gives us more options at NT to vary our looks.
Originally posted by loyalniner:
1. Darqueze Dennard, CB Probably IMO the biggest must-have in the draft for anyone in need of a CB (us). I'd trade up to around 15-20 to make sure we get him. But that's ideally.
2. E.J. Gaines, CB I think we can teach him to play safety. He hits well and has a knack for finding the ball in the air. Whitner's replacement when his contract is up maybe.
2. Gabe Jackson, OG Big body. Could replace Iupati if we can't afford him. Could be Goodwin's heir.
3. Aaron Murray, QB Big time QB potential. If Harbaugh does him right he could be worth a 1st-2nd rounder in a few years for QB hungry teams.
3. Daniel McCullers, NT Big body. Clog the middle. Gives us more options at NT to vary our looks.
going for qb, c and cb is ok. i do understand the guard pick as well. but we almost certainly will pick a WR high...why dont you do this?
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Trade Iupati to Buffalo Bills (1st need is LG) with Niners' 2nd round KC pick
1a Sammy Watkins WR
1b (32) Justin Gilbert CB
2a (traded)
Trade #64 and #96 for Xavier Su'a Filo/Zack Martin OG
3a Beau Allen NT
3b (traded)
3c Robert Herron WR

We are not trading Iupati. He's a beast. Try to sign him long term.
1) CB- Justin Gilbert- No brainer pick. We'd have a group of legit corners and a potential starter in Justin Gilbert. One of the situations where need meets BPA.

2a) WR- Odell Beckham - A do everything type of player. Would be a great addition to our receiving core adding some much needed quickness. Will probably unseat LaMichael James or at least share return duties with him. I think the meh season Tavon Austin had may steer GMs from picking him earlier. We may have to package this pick with Tennessee's third to ensure we get him however.

2b) WR- Jordan Matthews or Donte Moncrief- Both have the ability to come in and start. It also pretty much means bye bye Michael Crabtree (who I don't want to see go, but may be too expensive). Hopefully we put it altogether this year and next. Michael Crabtree, Quinton Patton, Beckham, and Matthews? I'll take that. Not to mention, we could still possibly have Anquan Boldin. Boldin is the cheaper extension and if we had anyone of consequence starting opposite of him we wouldn't have missed Crabtree so much this year. Instead of giving #15 a big contract, get Kaep some help on the outside.

3a) OLB- Michael Sam: Can you have enough pass rushers?

3b) SS- Craig Loston- I'm hoping that we resign Donte Whitner. With that said, Loston would be a great pick to groom as an eventual replacement. He can sit behind Whitner and learn the pro game and be ready to take over in a few seasons.

3c) QB- Aaron Murray- Great college QB that I think would be a steal at this point. I don't think he would need to sit for the entire year, but can be developed to be a solid backup to Colin Kaepernick.

4) DE- Dominque Easley- Not sure how far along he is in rehab, but based off of when he suffered his injury, he may be able to participate in training camp and would be great value in the 4th round. The idea of having Ray McDonald, Glenn Dorsey, Justin Smith, Ian Williams, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial, and Easley would probably set our d-line for years to come.

5) C- Tyler Larsen: Solid run-blocker. We will also need some O-line depth should Daniel Kilgore and Joe Looney make the starting lineup. I think if Kilgore is offered an extension this offseason, it will go a long way towards figuring out how the staff feels about him. This organization has a tendency to give guys extensions that they see potential in and never let them test free agency. If Kilgore is offered an extension, than we will be in a good position to wait until the 5th to draft a replacement to groom as a backup.

6) WR- Robert Herron: More speed. Speed kills. Speed kills Seattle .

7a) Trade to the Dolphins for Johnathan Martin. Good tackle that is still on a rookie deal. Would be welcomed in the locker room and we won't have to completely reshuffle our line should Joe Staley or Anthony Davis go down to injury.

7b) FB- Gator Hoskins- backup to Bruce Miller.

7c) WR- Tevin Reese- More speed at receiver.

7d) OT- Jeremiah Sires. Offensive line depth.

I know it said only 1st through 3rd, but couldn't resist.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Jan 5, 2014 at 10:28 AM ]
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by loyalniner:
going for qb, c and cb is ok. i do understand the guard pick as well. but we almost certainly will pick a WR high...why dont you do this?
I honestly don't care much for the WR class. I think if you don't get one in the top 50 picks you won't get a decent one this year. I originally had Jordan Matthews from Vandy and no Travis Swanson, but I definitely think we need to do whatever we can next year to go after Dorial Green-Beckham (I think that's right) next year and Matthews is just a lesser version of that. And I think with Patton, Crabtree, Baldwin, and either Manningham or Boldin being signed (hopefully for little) to a 1-2 year contract would allow us some pretty good WR play until we can get who I think will be the next great rookie WR since A.J. Green.

Edit: Also, I'd love to see us go after Hakeem Nicks this offseason. A great player with a bad season and he will probably not want to stay in NY. I think if we can't get back Boldin we should see what Nicks wants. Demand might not be too high after a disappointing season. A change of scenery would be good for him and he has the same physical style of Boldin, just younger and not quite as dominant.
[ Edited by loyalniner on Jan 5, 2014 at 5:30 PM ]
IF all of these guys still with us in 2014, we could discuss it.
but i dont think that MM will be signed. And Baldwin didnt do s**t so far, so he could be released.

then, crabtree will be in his contract year. boldin wont do it any longer. waiting until 2015 is VERY risky.
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
1. Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
- Physical corner that fits well in our scheme. He is solid in coverage and is the best tackling corner in the draft. Dennard really turned it on at the end of the season and played great against Stanford and Ohio State. Plug and play him from day one and he will be a solid pro in the NFL.

2. Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo
- Mack is an absolute stud off of the ball. He gets after the QB and plays physical. He would provide much needed pass rush. I would even entertain trading up to get him late in the 1st.

2. Odell Beckham WR LSU
- Provides speed and precise route running ability to compliment our WR group. He also is valuable in the return game.

3. David Yankey OL Stanford
- Power run game lineman who is a masher in the middle. Provides much needed depth behind the starters and can potentially start in the future if Iupati leaves in FA.

3. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
- Manningham and Baldwin are likely both gone after this year. Matthews is a great possession receiver who may drop due to lack of speed. He and Beckham would provide solid prospects to the passing game.

3. Carlos Hyde RB Ohio State
- Big physical runner that reminds me of Gore. With Dixon likely leaving in FA, Hyde will be a solid depth guy.

No way Mack falls to 2nd round, he is a top 15 pick. Yankey should be a 1st-2nd rd pick. Matthews also.

Agree with AB. That's what I call one of those dream make believe drafts. I said ideal but that was more like a dream. Don't see most of those guys falling to the pick he has slotted but if it happened would be amazing.

By the way keep these coming guys. I'm liking a lot of these and you guys are doing a good job of addressing our needs. I like the CB, WR, SS, C combo ones.
1. Jason Verrett CB, TCU - We'll be picking very late so the top guys are gone. He's small, but has real ball skills, a must in today's NFL
2. Jordan Matthews WR, Vandy - If he falls to the mid-2nd. He may not, but its a deep WR class.
2. Ahmad Dixon S, Baylor - Need to replace the bum tackling of Whitner, tired of seeing him throw his shoulder and miss the tackle.
3. Gabe Ikard C, OU - Time to replace Goodwin
3. Aaron Colvin CB, OU - 4 year starter with better size than Verrett for our biggest need
3. Will Sutton DT, ASU - Take a chance on his fat ass and hope his 1st round talent can turn him into a steal
1. Kelvin Benjamin( more upside ) or Jordan Matthews ( more nfl ready)
2. Deonne bucannon SS best safety prospect in my opinion. Could be Whitners replacement hard hitter and ballhawk
2. Kyle fuller- good size, speed, hands
3. Best center
3. Best player available
3. Stanley Jean-Baptiste (cb)- huge with decent speed, with excellent hands. Could be a steal
Mine has changed a bit since i first entered my picks:

1. Darqueze Dennard or Justin Gilbert, CBs
2. Jordan Matthews, WR
2b. Calvin Pryor, S
3a. Weston Richburg, C
3b. Jarvis Landry, WR
3c. DeAndre Coleman, NT
Just some scenarios.... (all assuming Brown, Goodwin and Manningham go.... Cox or Wright back)

Boldin Doesn't Re-sign, Whitner Does:
1. Jordan Matthews/Robinson
2. Roby/Roberson/Fuller?
2. Landry/Beckham/Cooks
3. Dominique Easley/Daquan Jones
3. Weston Richburg/trade
3. BPA at QB or CB (Boyd, Garoppolo, Ricardo Allen, Purifoy, etc)

Boldin Does, Whitner Doesn't:
1. Gilbert, Verrett, Roby
2. Landry/Beckham/Cooks
2. Prewitt/Pryor/Bucannon
3. Weston Richburg/trade

Boldin Doesn't, Whitner Doesn't:
1. Jordan Matthews/Robinson
2. Roby/Roberson/Fuller?
2. Prewitt/Pryor/Bucannon
3. BPA at WR (Abbrederis, Moncrief, Richardson, Bryant, Herron)
3. BPA at C or DE (Richburg, Easley, Jones, etc)

Boldin and Whitner Both Re-sign:
1. Gilbert/Verrett/Roby
2. David Yankey/Gabe Jackson (compete at C vs Kilgore, take over for Iupati after 14?)
2. BPA at WR (Landry/Beckham/Cooks, etc)
3. Trade (maybe move up to get Yankey/Jackson or trade for 2015 pick)
3. 3. BPA at QB or CB (Boyd, Garoppolo, Ricardo Allen, Purifoy, etc)

With Gabe Jackson we'd have to get into the best shape of his life. Have him around 320 from 340ish. With our vet presence its possible.
I have Daquan Jones as a possible pick but Easley would be my ideal target if he last that long due to injury. With Jones I like his initial burst but he seems to give up on plays and jog a lot. We'd have him in the best shape of his life, motivate him and he could be a real good pass rusher with his initial burst and getting him to not give up on plays.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 17, 2014 at 7:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone