There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Cooper Mock Draft 2.0 2014

So the end of the college season (and end of my finals week) made me anxious to do my second mock draft of the year, but this time I'm going to mock the whole offseason..

FREE AGENT SIGNINGS:

Anquan Boldin, 2 year contract - Quan has shown how good and how valuable he is to this team. Needs to be a priority signing..
Donte Whitner, 2 year contract - I was calling for Whitner to be cut last year, but he has shown when he is paired with a competent free safety, he can be a leader..
Phil Dawson, 2 year contract - He's been incredible, set a franchise record. I would sign him for a longer contract, but he's 38 years old..
Kassim Osgood, 1 year contract -We all saw what happened when he was out of the lineup, incredible special teamer..
Michael Wilhoite, 3 year contract - Great Special teamer and great backup. Need to retain him..
Eric Wright, 2 year contract - Has proven so far that he can be a very good nickel or dime back. Also love the fact that he's always wanted to play for the Niners..

LOSSES TO FREE AGENCY:

Jonathan Goodwin - The weakest link on our O-line. We've been grooming Kilgore and we will also draft a center to compete for his spot..
Tarell Brown - He will demand too much money on the market, which we cannot afford. Only an average number one cornerback..
Mario Manningham - He's done absolutely nothing since he's been here. We will draft one or two receivers..
Colt McCoy -We will draft a better backup quarterback
Anthony Dixon - This was tough for me, he's a true 49er. But it's a numbers game with Lattimore returning..
Demarcus Dobbs -Again, it's a numbers game with the emergence of TJE. Also, we will have Tank and Dial for next year..

CUTS:

Carlos Rogers - Old and getting slower and slower. Not worth the money..
Derek Carrier - Don't need him, we will draft a better 4th string tight end..
Craig Dahl - Don't need him, we will draft a better safety..

Adam Snyder - In favor of a draft pick..

EXTENSIONS:

Michael Crabtree - He is our true number one and I don't want him hitting the open market next year..
Aldon Smith -Hopefully we can get him for a discount, he is the best pass rusher in the league and I think he'll want to stay with us after all that we did for him..
Glenn Dorsey - He's been a great nose tackle and really revived his career here. Hopefully we can resign him to another cheap contract..
Bruce Miller - He is a HUGE aspect of our running game and only getting better. He needs to be retained..

RESTRUCTURE:

Vernon Davis - Extend him for a couple more years and spread out the money, we have a lot of key players we need to resign in 2014 and 2015
Patrick Willis - Same thing as Vernon

DRAFT:

(Trade our own 3rd round pick and our own 1st round pick for the a 1st round pick in the late teens)
1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, 5-11, 197, Michigan State
IMO, the best cover corner in the draft and cornerback is our number one need with the loss of Carlos Rogers and Tarell Brown. He's physical and has enough speed to blanket anyone in coverage. He's been flying up draft boards lately, so hopefully we can get him with a trade up similar to the one last year for Eric Reid. He can become our number one corner in his rookie year if he progresses well..

(Chiefs)
2a. Kelvin Benjamin,WR, 6-5, 235, Florida State
Measurable's comparable to Calvin Johnson, maybe running a little slower 40 time, in the high 4.4's. Much more raw with inconsistent hands, but he is the deep threat that we are missing. We all saw how well Kaep can throw the deep ball, but Vernon isn't a natural at catching deep balls, and that goes for every other receiver on our team. Benjamin is only a redshirt sophomore, but many are expecting him to declare because he's already 23 years old..

2b. Dion Bailey,S, 6-0, 210, USC
Converted safety who previously played linebacker. Extremely versatile, which is what we need in our defensive backfield. I have us resigning Whitner, so Bailey won't walk into a starting safety position, but he will develop and be a very talented backup, which we lack (see Dahl, Craig). He can also cover the slot receiver extremely well and has been doing a ton of that this year. He will be Whitner's replacement and will form a nice tandem with Eric Reid..

(Titans)
3a. Tyler Larsen,C, 6-4, 312, Utah State
With Goodwin not being retained, center becomes a pretty high priority with Kilgore's progress unknown. Larsen is one of the best center's in this draft and and he could start right away if need be..

(Comp)
3b. Zach Mettenberger, QB, 6-5, 235, LSU
One of the best pocket passers in the draft, but falls due to a torn ACL. I would like to have a classic pocket passer to backup Kaepernick. Mettenberger has one of the strongest arms in the draft and has big game experience playing in the SEC. An ideal backup in my eyes..

Trade our own 7th rounder and our own 4th rounder for an earlier 4th round pick
4. Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, 6-3, 242, Georgia Tech
I think we resign Aldon to a lucrative contract, but you can never have too many pass rushers. Lemonier filled in admirably, but adding one more pass rusher will be great for this defense. Attaochu is very athletic with long arms but is a bit raw. Could move up draft boards after the combine, but for right now, he's slotted in this range..

5. Colt Lyerla,TE, 6-5, 250, Oregon
Im tired of seeing Garrett Celek and Derek Carrier getting playing time. With us running so many 3 tight end sets, it would be nice to take a shot on a guy like Lyerla in the mid rounds. Low risk since he would only cost a 5th rounder and be a 3rd stringer (potentially), but can potentially pay huge dividends. If Lyerla gets his life together, he has all the talent in the world, even reminding me of a bigger Delanie. Imagine lining up in a 3 tight end set with Vernon, a classic tight end in Mcdonald, and the immensely talented Lyerla? Crazy..

6. Trade for a 2015 5th rounder

(Carolina)
7a. Trade for a 2015 6th rounder

(Indianapolis)
7b. Michael Campanaro, WR, 5-10, 190, Wake Forest
The often injured Campanaro is a tough, quick, gritty slot receiver that could find his way on to the practice squad and eventually become a reliable slot receiver..

(New Orleans)
7c. Spencer Long,OG, 6-4, 315, Nebraska
A big physical guard that could provide depth on our O-line. Falls here due to injuries..

Depth Chart (53 man):

QB: Kaepernick, Mettenberger
HB: Gore, Hunter, Lattimore, James
WR: Crabtree, Boldin, Benjamin, Patton, Osgood
TE: Davis, McDonald, Lyerla, Celek
OT: Staley, Davis, Marquardt
OG: Iupati, Boone, Looney, Long
C: Larsen, Kilgore
NT: Dorsey, Williams
DE: J. Smith, McDonald, Carradine, Jerod-Eddie, Dial
OLB: A. Smith, Brooks, Lemonier, Attaochu, Skuta
MLB: Willis, Bowman, Wilhoite, Moody
CB: Dennard, Culliver, Brock, Wright, Morris
FS: Reid, Spillman
SS: Whitner, Bailey, Ventrone
K: Dawson
P: Lee
LS: McDermott
[ Edited by Cooper22 on Dec 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM ]
H*ll no on C.Tyerla hes a quiter we dont need another G.Coffee...D.Bailey a LB converted into a safety hhmmm where have I heard this before maybe in a bust T.Mays NO THANKS besides if A.Dixon or E.Reynolds are on tha board one of them are a way better fit.....Not sure about K.Benjamin only stat i seen about him i liked was 14TDz hez never hit 1000 ydz in his 2 seasonz...I think we're set at OLB so a 4th round on one IMO wont happen rather see a OT , WR or CB taken ...i think CB N WR is where we should double up on ...Like useing a comp pick on a QB which QB im not sure lol ...
Decent mock. Like the Dennard, Benjamin, Larsen and Attaochu picks. Agree with the Wolf that Dion Bailey would not be my first choice at safety, especially if Reynolds, Dixon or Craig Loston were available. Colt Lyerla I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. Nice injury special in Long. Think the Niners could use one more big, fast WR in the mix, not a slot guy.
No defensive linemen?
Originally posted by kronik:
No defensive linemen?

There's no room on our roster.. Justin Smith, Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey, Ray Mac, Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial.
plan is solid ovr with except to the snyder cut. experienced, versatile o-lineman>>>>>>some mid to late-round draft pick.

do not want a WR with inconsistent hands with our first or 2nd-rounder at all.
[ Edited by communist on Dec 16, 2013 at 3:32 PM ]
Like the first two picks
Originally posted by Cooper22:
No defensive linemen?

There's no room on our roster.. Justin Smith, Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey, Ray Mac, Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial.

I disagree. Look at the age of Smith and Ray Mac. Tank and Quinton havent done anything yet. Ian has only started one game in his career. Although they are good prospects, they are not known commodities yet. Besides, the draft is about stockpiling talent for the future. I wouldn't be surprised if the niners use a high pick on another DL
[ Edited by kronik on Dec 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM ]
Originally posted by communist:
plan is solid ovr with except to the snyder cut. experienced, versatile o-lineman>>>>>>some mid to late-round draft pick.

do not want a WR with inconsistent hands with our first or 2nd-rounder at all.

Yeah he was my last cut.. Ultimately, I like Spencer Long so much as a late round prospect that I decided to cut Snyder in favor of Long.

I think Benjamin has great hands but has mental lapses on some easy catches.. He can easily improve on that
[ Edited by Cooper22 on Dec 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Cooper22:
No defensive linemen?

I disagree. Look at the age of Smith and Ray Mac. Tank and Quinton havent done anything yet. Ian has only started one game in his career. Although they are good prospects, they are not known commodities yet. Besides, the draft is about stockpiling talent for the future. I wouldn't be surprised if the niners use a high pick on another DL

All those guys are unknown commodities, but so would a draft pick.. I could see possibly a late rounder for a practice squad/developmental guy, but our line is pretty youthful and stockpiled with the exception of Smith.. I already had to get rid of Dobbs in this mock plan because of a crowded d line
First 3 picks would make me smile.

I really don't expect Mettenberger to fall that far.. and I don't think he has the athleticism to fit our offense.

I would prefer to be optimistic about Kilgore at C vs drafting an early rookie C.. but that's nit-picking.

I like Campanaro late...
I like it, good value all over the place.
We NEED to sign or draft a backup swing tackle. If either Staley or Davis go down, we are screwed
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
First 3 picks would make me smile.

I really don't expect Mettenberger to fall that far.. and I don't think he has the athleticism to fit our offense.

I would prefer to be optimistic about Kilgore at C vs drafting an early rookie C.. but that's nit-picking.

I like Campanaro late...

I really think the only qb that would fit our offense is Tajh Boyd but I really don't like him as an NFL quarterback to be honest.. It was a toss up between him, Mettenberger, and Garroppolo.

Mettenberger won out for me because if Kaep were to go down, I'd rather have Mettenberger in running a more vanilla offense than Boyd running our current offense.. Just my opinion
Originally posted by Draftology:
We NEED to sign or draft a backup swing tackle. If either Staley or Davis go down, we are screwed

Thought about this, but I think we have 2 guys on the roster that could compete to fill this void next season in Marquardt and Bykowski. Also, we have Boone who is a very good swing tackle