LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

2014 Senior Bowl

Sims is a nice back. I like Jean Baptiste a lot as well. I don't know much about Richardson from Arizona. Fiedorowicz is a better blocker than Hoskins but can still get down the field and make plays. I like both of them
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
49ers have supposedly met with all these cats. Bolded some of my favorites.

Xavius Boyd, LB, Western Kentucky (EW) Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, OT, McGill (EW) C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa (SR) Ra'Shede Hageman, DL, Minnesota (SR) Gator Hoskins, TE, Marshall (SR) Stanley Jean-Baptiste, DB, Nebraska (SR) Cassius Marsh, DL, UCLA (EW) Jeff Mathews, QB, Cornell (EW) Demonte McAllister, DL, Florida State (EW) Jack Mewhort, OL, Ohio State (SR) Trent Murphy, DL, Stanford (VINT) Matt Patchan, OL, Boston College (SR) Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona (EW) Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia (SR) Marcus Smith, LB, Louisville (SR)

Out of everyone they drafted last year, I think they only met with Patton, Luke Marquardt and Quinton Dial.

The Kid Stanley Jean Baptiste is very impressive he plays everywhere LCB/RCB and the slot in college. Not alot of people know him but I believe he is special a 6'2" 215 already getting comparison to Sherman

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000315914/article/stanley-jeanbaptiste-draws-richard-sherman-comparison
Senior Bowl Standout's, from ESPN.

QUARTERBACKS

Best footwork: Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois Garoppolo has shown the most precise footwork of any QB here this week. We've been impressed with his ability to marry his eyes to his feet while going through his progressions.

Strongest arm: Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech This one's not even close. Thomas has elite arm strength to push the ball vertically. The windy conditions on Tuesday gave him an opportunity to show off that arm.

Quickest release: Derek Carr, Fresno State Carr's above-average arm strength isn't the only reason he can get the ball from Point A to Point B. Once Carr makes up his mind where he's going with the football, he gets it out of his hands more quickly than any QB here. Garoppolo was a close second.

RUNNING BACKS

Most versatile: Charles Sims, West Virginia Even though he has smaller hands, Sims catches the ball well and he's an above-average route-runner in addition to his lateral quickness as a ball-carrier.

Vision/Instincts: Antonio Andrews, Western Kentucky Andrews is a strong between-the-tackles runner who has shown good patience and vision while making the most of his blocks.

WIDE RECEIVERS

Best vertical speed: Josh Huff, Oregon We were surprised by Huff's quick start and extra gear when tracking the ball down vertically.

Best separation skills: Robert Herron, Wyoming While Herron has had a hard time fielding the ball this week, he's been the most explosive transitioning in and out of breaks.

Best ball skills: Ryan Grant, Tulane and Kevin Norwood, Alabama Grant and Norwood were the most consistent pass-catchers here this week as they both showed natural hands and good body control when adjusting to throws

. OFFENSIVE LINEMEN

Best run-blocker: OT/OG Zack Martin, Notre Dame Martin makes up for his lack of overwhelming power with quick feet, sound hand placement and tenacity.

Best pass protector: OT Morgan Moses, Virginia Moses can work on his consistency, but he uses his length to cut off the edge, shows the ability to redirect and is strong enough to anchor.

Best technique: OT Jack Mewhort, Ohio State Mewhort's initial footwork, hand placement and pad level were consistently sound this week.

Toughest: OC Bryan Stork, Florida State Stork lacks prototypical measurables, but his effort and fight throughout the week were among the best we've seen of any lineman in this class

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN

Best interior rusher: Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh Donald showed the ability to beat offensive linemen with quickness, power and active hands, and his ability to do it so many different ways make it that much harder to keep him off the quarterback.

Best edge-rusher: Dee Ford, Auburn Ford was by far the most explosive edge-rusher here. On top of that, we were highly impressed with his flexibility to bend the edge.

Strongest interior run-stuffer: DaQuan Jones, Penn State At 6-3½ and 323 pounds, Jones is as tough to move off the ball as you would expect with a player his size. He's flashed heavy hands all week.

Best edge-setter: Brent Urban, Virginia He's got a great-looking frame. He did a great job playing with quality pad level and using his length to stack and shed blockers to consistently maintain edge responsibility.

LINEBACKERS

Best Instincts: ILB Chris Borland, Wisconsin Borland read his keys and located the ball quicker than any other linebackers here. His instincts increase his already above-average range.

Best range: OLB Jonathan Brown, Illinois Brown covered a lot of ground chasing the run and in coverage, which is important for a linebacker who doesn't have great size.

Best pass-rusher: OLB Jeremiah Attaouchu, Georgia Tech One of Attaouchu's greatest strengths on film is his ability to get to the quarterback, and it showed up here as well. He has good initial quickness, active hands and good balance.

Best in coverage: OLB Telvin Smith, Florida State Smith is almost built like a safety, so it's no surprise as that he's so fluid in coverage. He's light on his feet, changes direction well and shows above-average closing burst. It should be noted he didn't catch the ball well this week, but he showed his ability to get his hands on throws.

DEFENSIVE BACKS

Best press technique: CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Nebraska Jean-Baptiste has above-average size and uses his length well to disrupt receivers' releases. He also has above-average balance and fluidity for a taller corner and, being a former receiver, appears natural locating and playing the football.

Best man-to-man cover skills: CB Jaylen Watkins, Florida Watkins showed quick feet, above-average fluidity and transitioned well out of his breaks, not to mention he also flashed good anticipation and route-recognition skills to get early breaks on throws. Utah State's Nevin Lawson also flashed well here this week.

Most versatile: S Dez Southward, Wisconsin At 6-0⅛ and 206 pounds, Southward is big enough to lineup at safety, at which he shows good recognition skills, range, plus the ability to play the run. He didn't show great fluidity at corner, but he's smart and he has enough foot speed to line up there depending on the matchup.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I'm seeing Cody Hoffman getting some love finally, I see him as a 4th rounder, possible 3rd

Haven't been impressed by him very much. I don't know what happened, he's been off all season long. After an amazing junior year, he kind of fell off, struggled to get separation consistently, don't have a good feeling about him atm.

He was f**king awful. Has bust all over him. I was etremely high on him coming into this season, then he s**t the bed. Would not draft.

Xavius Boyd, LB, Western Kentucky (EW) Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, OT, McGill (EW) C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa (SR) Ra'Shede Hageman, DL, Minnesota (SR) Gator Hoskins, TE, Marshall (SR) Stanley Jean-Baptiste, DB, Nebraska (SR) Cassius Marsh, DL, UCLA (EW) Jeff Mathews, QB, Cornell (EW) Demonte McAllister, DL, Florida State (EW) Jack Mewhort, OL, Ohio State (SR) Trent Murphy, DL, Stanford (VINT) Matt Patchan, OL, Boston College (SR) Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona (EW) Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia (SR) Marcus Smith, LB, Louisville (SR)

Out of everyone they drafted last year, I think they only met with Patton, Luke Marquardt and Quinton Dial.

My Boy Gator!
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I'm seeing Cody Hoffman getting some love finally, I see him as a 4th rounder, possible 3rd

Haven't been impressed by him very much. I don't know what happened, he's been off all season long. After an amazing junior year, he kind of fell off, struggled to get separation consistently, don't have a good feeling about him atm.

He was f**king awful. Has bust all over him. I was etremely high on him coming into this season, then he s**t the bed. Would not draft.

huh? You have a weird way of judging players

huh? You have a weird way of judging players

He was horrible man. A 6' 5 210 pound WR with 5 TD's. 5 games with 4 receptions or less. Like i said i was very high on him coming into this season, but he was horribly disappointing. I wanted him last season and had us drafting him in one of my mocks had he come out early. This season was a disaster for him. I dont know what happened there, but it was discouraging to say the least.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Jan 24, 2014 at 6:49 PM ]
He was horrible man. A 6' 5 210 pound WR with 5 TD's. 5 games with 4 receptions or less. Like i said i was very high on him coming into this season, but he was horribly disappointing. I wanted him last season and had us drafting him in one of my mocks had he come out early. This season was a disaster for him. I dont know what happened there, but it was discouraging to say the least.

Okay if 900 yards and 5 TDs is horrible on a team that passes the ball only 40% of the time with a QB hovering above 50% completion, what stats would an AVERAGE year be?

2000 yards? I mean you said 900 is horrible
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 24, 2014 at 7:03 PM ]

Okay if 900 yards and 5 TDs is horrible on a team that passes the ball only 40% of the time with a QB hovering above 50% completion, what stats would an AVERAGE year be?

2000 yards? I mean you said 900 is horrible

I wont argue with you, we obviously have differing opinions on him at this time, i know you have been high on him for a good while now, as was i, but i will say he laid some flat out stinkers, and padded his yardage tremendously against two teams, washington and houston. Those two games account for 323 of his total yards.

There is no way anyone can argue that it wasn't a tremendously down season compared to his 2012 and even 2011 campaigns.

Now his average was great, but to get a comparison, Mitch Mathews, in three starts and 9 GP, in extremely limited action for BYU had 23 receptions, 397 yards, a 17.3 average and 4 TD's.

Skyler Ridley had 39 receptions, 469 yrds, a 12.0 average and 2 td's

He had nearly half the production in most statistical categories when compared to his 2012 season.

The big thing that got me off his bandwagon was his production the last three games before the bowl game. He had a great bowl game, but his three games prior to that he had a combined 9 receptions, for 90 yards and 0 TD's. And that was against Idaho State, Notre Dame, and Nevada. A lot of people jumped off his bandwagon in that three game stretch.

He was simply horribly inconsistent. I expect more receptions and more TD's from a guy his size and with his ability and skillset. Thats the type of WR he needs to be to be successful in the NFL. 57 receptions and 5 TD's does not cut it for a guy that as a senior and has been as successful as he has previous seasons.

Now i will say my comments as far a f**king awful and horrible seasons were over exaggerated, but when compared to what the expectations were for him and compared to previous campaigns, its a slight stretch, but not a huge stretch when talking about his senior campaign.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Jan 24, 2014 at 10:54 PM ]
Originally posted by Harbaalke:

The Kid Stanley Jean Baptiste is very impressive he plays everywhere LCB/RCB and the slot in college. Not alot of people know him but I believe he is special a 6'2" 215 already getting comparison to Sherman

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000315914/article/stanley-jeanbaptiste-draws-richard-sherman-comparison

The names from that list that intrigue me:

1. Hageman, DL - Would love to add this beast to our DL. Tomsula + Hageman = Monster for the next 10 years.

2. Hoskins, TE/FB - Looks like they're still seeking a Delanie replacement. Hoskins isn't as fast, but has the build.

3. Richardson, CB - Could this be another Marcus Cooper pick, if selected? Late round prospect who has potential. Not afraid to play the run (3 TFL this season) and has some ball skills (3 interceptions).

4. M.Smith, DE/OLB - Like this kid. Think he could be another guy to have in our pass-rush rotation and he's got some skill.

5. Newhort, OL - He's had a strong week. We could use a guy like him. Tackle depth is paper thin. We don't know what Marquardt can do yet.

49ers wish list imo:

Trent Murphy, DL, Stanford - led the Nation in sacks possible replacement to Justin Smith

Marcus Smith, DE/OLB, Louisville - great motor skills/depth

Stanley Jean-Baptiste, DB, Nebraska - starting CB opposite of Brock

Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford - A harbaugh guy too bad he is not playing in the senior bowl but knows the scheme until bowman comes back a fit

C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa - The game tape is very impressive a 3rd/4th round prospect big 6'6" 260 blocks, good hands a better fit than Carrier & Celek
Game time
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
The names from that list that intrigue me:

1. Hageman, DL - Would love to add this beast to our DL. Tomsula + Hageman = Monster for the next 10 years.

49ers wish list imo:

Trent Murphy, DL, Stanford - led the Nation in sacks possible replacement to Justin Smith

Marcus Smith, DE/OLB, Louisville - great motor skills/depth

Stanley Jean-Baptiste, DB, Nebraska - starting CB opposite of Brock

Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford - A harbaugh guy too bad he is not playing in the senior bowl but knows the scheme until bowman comes back a fit

C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa - The game tape is very impressive a 3rd/4th round prospect big 6'6" 260 blocks, good hands a better fit than Carrier & Celek

The vast majority of guys they talked to last year, they didn't draft. I think Patton was the only one that they met with at one of these games that they ended up taking.

If you don't know Baptiste by now, you never will with all the hype he's been receiving lol
Share 49ersWebzone