LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 199 users in the forums

2014 Senior Bowl

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Tough break for Aaron Colvin, tore his ACL today.

Oh that just sucks. Well.. maybe he will be a Niners 5th rd pick now/

Was going to say, welcome to the Niners!
  • buck
  • Veteran
CB Jaylen Watkins, Florida - Was excellent in coverage on Tuesday. Perhaps the best play that we saw all day long was Watkins' interception during 1-on-1s when he was covering Tulane WR Ryan Grant. Watkins trailed the route and then darted in front on the deep dig for a tremendous interception. He was excellent in coverage in every phase of the practice.

WR Jared Abbrederis, Wisconsin - Continues to get open. All day, every day. His route running is just so good and he's having little trouble getting off of press coverage. The only other receiver making more of an impact is…

WR Robert Herron, Wyoming - Wow. He continues to make one catch after another at every spot on the field. Love this guy's quicks, his route running and his LA-style toughness (played his HS ball at Dorsey High in Los Angeles)

WR Kevin Norwood, Alabama - Again, looked good in competitive aspects of the practice. Go 1-on-1 with a corner and he lights it up. He went deep on Auburn CB Chris Davis, high pointed the throw from the QB and came down with a tremendous catch. He continues to shine in those situations and solid in team drills.

Many of the South DB have said that Vanderbilt WR Jordan Matthews is the best receiver they've faced. Not just here in Mobile but all year. He continues to show that throughout the past two days. He had some decent battles with Utah's 6'3" CB Keith McGill but Matthews came out ahead in most of those 1-on-1 situations.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46066/351/senior-bowl-notes-tuesday[/url]

After reading the review, I realized that I actually saw more of the action than I thought.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 21, 2014 at 5:31 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Ahh time for the draft. Does the zone have a love child yet for this draft??

Your mom

you take that back!

I hear she runs a 4.30 forty!
LOL she can barely get off the bed without hurting her knees and shes in her 40s
How has Morgan Moses looked?
Moses is likely a first rounder from what I've seen. Has great size and is very athletic. Had a few problems on the left side but looked very comfortable over there. May move to RT at the next level.
Dee Ford has been by far the best edge rusher at the practices. He had his way with many of the OL prospects and would be a great situational pass rusher for the Niners. My only question on him is whether or not he is a 3 down player.
Originally posted by buck:
CB Jaylen Watkins, Florida - Was excellent in coverage on Tuesday. Perhaps the best play that we saw all day long was Watkins' interception during 1-on-1s when he was covering Tulane WR Ryan Grant. Watkins trailed the route and then darted in front on the deep dig for a tremendous interception. He was excellent in coverage in every phase of the practice.

WR Jared Abbrederis, Wisconsin - Continues to get open. All day, every day. His route running is just so good and he's having little trouble getting off of press coverage. The only other receiver making more of an impact is…

WR Robert Herron, Wyoming - Wow. He continues to make one catch after another at every spot on the field. Love this guy's quicks, his route running and his LA-style toughness (played his HS ball at Dorsey High in Los Angeles)

WR Kevin Norwood, Alabama - Again, looked good in competitive aspects of the practice. Go 1-on-1 with a corner and he lights it up. He went deep on Auburn CB Chris Davis, high pointed the throw from the QB and came down with a tremendous catch. He continues to shine in those situations and solid in team drills.

Many of the South DB have said that Vanderbilt WR Jordan Matthews is the best receiver they've faced. Not just here in Mobile but all year. He continues to show that throughout the past two days. He had some decent battles with Utah's 6'3" CB Keith McGill but Matthews came out ahead in most of those 1-on-1 situations.

After reading the review, I realized that I actually saw more of the action than I thought.

He'd be an ideal deep threat for the 49ers to utilize as their #3 WR or #4 WR. A guy with legit speed who can really stretch the field.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Tough break for Aaron Colvin, tore his ACL today.
Only a question of where we will pick him
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
Moses is likely a first rounder from what I've seen. Has great size and is very athletic. Had a few problems on the left side but looked very comfortable over there. May move to RT at the next level.

I remember him in high school. Always thought he would have to slide down to guard eventually.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
From all reports (which seem to fall in line with what I am seeing), the stars this week appear to be. Here is what I am seeing.
D. Ford- So explosive off the snap and has a great spin move
Ra'Shede Hageman- I've projected him as a top 15 pick, and he is moving close to the top 10, I believe, by the time the combine finishes. Just too athletic for interior guys to complete with. He is the best comparison athletically to JJ Watt since number 99 came out.
Aaron Donald- There is a reason why he won every major defensive award this year- he is flat out good. Smaller than hoped, but looks smarter, more instinctive that the guys he is facing.
Derek Carr- Huge arm. I've thought all along this would move him into consideration for the number 2 pick. Guys that can make every throw get a long look.
Zack Martin- Just a smooth OL. Good inside, good outside. Just seems calm in the midst of the storm.
Will Sutton- Blobbish, but the footwork is outstanding. Really quick off the snap.
Jordan Matthews- Looks great, looks prepared, looks sharp. Great physique, and a coachable spirit. The guy is a winner.
Jared Abbrederis- Talk about winner- Measurables are lacking, but he is a football player. Simply smarter than other guys on the field. Has Tom Brady Patriots all over him, with 100+ catches/year.
Chris Borland- Short-check;short arms-check; makes every play- check; just gets it done.
Aaron Colvin- Very good feet, and ability to close on WR makes him look terrific this week.
Jimmy Garappolo- Second best QB on the field this week. Looks so decisive and is crisp in all his movement. Some team is going to bypass this kid in the first, but take a long look at the top of the second round.
DeAndre Coleman- One of the players I was excited to watch this week. Has great measurables, and has looked solid this week. Can play a variety of schemes, which is going to help his value.
Will Clarke- Great height and length is going to help him at the next level. If he can add about 15 pound to that frame, could be a tough matchup for an OT in a 34 defense.
Kyle Van Noy- Special talent. Plug and play starter from Day One. Smart, smart, smart. Smooth. Probably can play in any system. Exceptional footwork.
Jake Mewhort- Seen him develop every year at OSU. I love the upside. Just a huge guy who carries his weight well. A smooth player who is vastly underrated. Thinking he is going to surprise as a second rounder. Can probably start at RT for many teams right away. OSU disclaimer: Not a fan of every OSU player (see future note on Bradley Roby, who may be the most OVERRATED player in this draft)

What has stood out to me so far, is that there are few surprises. The studs are studs, and the guys thought to be mediocre at this level of competition (Fales, Boyd, etc.) look mediocre.

Would be curious to see what all of you are witnessing from your living room.

Note: I enjoy watching DL/OL battles and spend a lot of time analyzing these players, as well as corners/safeties. For me, I am looking at footwork and hand play and grade heavily in this areas. Overall, just like last year, a really good group on defense.

Sooooooooooooooooo much this. Highly overrated player, when people praise him they go "whoa, he's really fast, he's athletic, he's quick, he can really move" NOT "wow, he's a great shutdown corner, he's rarely out of position, all he does is make plays, he sticks to them like glue, he never gets lit up for like 200 yards, ever."

Extremely overhyped player, when you watch him play and see him get lit up and burnt left and right at times IN COLLEGE, it really does worry you as to what he'll look like in the NFL. He went from being overrated as the top CB prospect in the draft back in August, to having a lousy season and falling to 7th or 8th position among CB's and still being overrated as hell.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Sooooooooooooooooo much this. Highly overrated player, when people praise him they go "whoa, he's really fast, he's athletic, he's quick, he can really move" NOT "wow, he's a great shutdown corner, he's rarely out of position, all he does is make plays, he sticks to them like glue, he never gets lit up for like 200 yards, ever."

Extremely overhyped player, when you watch him play and see him get lit up and burnt left and right at times IN COLLEGE, it really does worry you as to what he'll look like in the NFL. He went from being overrated as the top CB prospect in the draft back in August, to having a lousy season and falling to 7th or 8th position among CB's and still being overrated as hell.

It's got to the point where Roby is actually underrated. I've seen every game of that kids career... he's a beast.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
It's got to the point where Roby is actually underrated. I've seen every game of that kids career... he's a beast.

No, no he's not. He played on a defense that provided a tremendous pass rush, and yet the secondary simply couldn't hang and he was the epicenter of it all. His game trying to defend Abbrederis was almost like watching comic relief. If I were to rank players in the draft on bust potential, be's in my Top 5 for sure. Not to say that he can't be a good player, but whatever it is was that he was doing this past season, if he can't get some of those issues ironed out, the lapses in coverage, bad judgment when going after a pass in the air, looking back at the QB, simply misjudging the route, he isn't going to do very well in the NFL.

As of right now, he's a super fast, super athletic guy that I don't see as a potential starting CB in the NFL yet. There's a lot of things to like, he's a heady tackler, a good hitter, does well in run support but he had too many lapses in coverage this season compared to someone like Dennard. It's kind of a scary proposition to see that he didn't do that well against some mediocre QB's and decent but not star level college receivers. What happens when he's got the task of defending Michael Floyd or Larry Fitzgerald with Palmer throwing the football downfield?

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 22, 2014 at 11:48 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

this. i actually felt like he was a 3rd round CB, late 2nd is being nice.
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
this. i actually felt like he was a 3rd round CB, late 2nd is being nice.

I try. Its not that he doesn't have talent and his athleticism is off the charts, but when you see a guy like that struggle on an Urban Meyer coached team, you really start to wonder as to what is really going on.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

That is a backhanded vote of confidence for McGill. I hope he ends up with us.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 22, 2014 at 12:47 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone