There are 69 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 Senior Bowl

Originally posted by king_diagram:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
One guy I would like to get is Stanley Jean-Baptiste, big physical corner.

YES! Is it just me or does anyone else want to draft bigger CB's?

Its this years fad! But seriously we have talented corners but we need that physical corner that can press the best receivers so our other backs can play off the others.
i thought lorenzo taliferro looked good at running back in the sr bowl today
Originally posted by king_diagram:
One guy I would like to get is Stanley Jean-Baptiste, big physical corner.

YES! Is it just me or does anyone else want to draft bigger CB's?

Its this years fad! But seriously we have talented corners but we need that physical corner that can press the best receivers so our other backs can play off the others.

I'm looking forward to the 49ers having their pick at a lot of talent because of GMs becoming obsessed with height/speed guys as opposed to guys that can really play football.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'm looking forward to the 49ers having their pick at a lot of talent because of GMs becoming obsessed with height/speed guys as opposed to guys that can really play football.

This. Let the guys who will be fired within a year or two go crazy over height/size/speed....etc, I just hope above all else, the 49ers draft good football players period.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This. Let the guys who will be fired within a year or two go crazy over height/size/speed....etc, I just hope above all else, the 49ers draft good football players period.

Jordan Matthews!?
Originally posted by communist:
I want to draft GOOD CBs, do not care how big they are.

I'm with my buddy Lenin here. :)

Thanks for your opinion Trotsky! I agree as well.

Marx
  • buck
  • Veteran
SATURDAY

It has become an annual tradition (10 years) for Pigskin Paul to post an end of the week All-Practice squad at the Senior Bowl. In answer to several readers who contacted me, Who am I to break with tradition?

QB DEREK CARR FRESNO STATE
RB CHARLES SIMS WEST VIRGINIA
FB JAY PROSCH AUBURN
WR JARRED ABBREDERIS WISCONSIN
WR JORDAN MATTHEWS VANDERBILT
TE C.J. FIEDOROWICZ IOWA
T ZACK MARTIN NOTRE DAME
T BRANDON THOMAS CLEMSON
G GABE JACKSON MISSISSIPPI STATE
G MICHAEL SCHOFIELD MICHIGAN
C TYLER LARSEN UTAH STATE

DE DEE FORD AUBURN
DE CHRIS SMITH ARKANSAS
DT DAQUAN JONES PENN STATE
DT AARON DONALD PITTSURGH
MLB CHRIS BORLAND WISCONSIN
OLB KYLE VAN NOY BYU
OLB CHRISTIAN JONES FLORIDA STATE
CB CHRIS DAVIS AUBURN
CB STAN JEAN-BAPTISTE NERBASKA
S KENNY LADLER VANDERBILT
S JEREA THOMAS GEORGIA TECH

Note I did not consider players who joined the practices later in the week (like CROCKETT GILMORE) feeling even 3 ½ days worth of practice was little enough time to make judgments on many players of pretty much equal ability. I am also practicing just a bit of literary license to move CHRISTIAN JONES from MLB to OLB.

FRIDAY

GUYS WHO PLEASANTLY SURPRISED ME

CHRIS BORLAND/LB/WISCONSIN
SHAQ EVANS/WR/UCLA
DEE FORD/DE/LB/AUBURN
STAN JEAN-BAPTISTE/CB/NEBRASKA
ZACK MARTIN/OT/NOTRE DAME
JERICK McKINNON/RB/GA SOUTHERN
MICHAEL SCHOFIELD/OT/MICHIGAN
CHRIS SMITH/DE/LB/ARKANSAS
BRANDON THOMAS/OT/CLEMSON
JORDAN ZUMWALT/LB/UCLA

GUYS WHO DISAPPOINTED ME

ADRIAN HUBBARD/DE/LB/ALABAMA
ROBERT HERRON/WR/WYOMING
JEFF JANIS/WR/SAGINAW VALLEY
WESLEY JOHNSON/OT/VANDERBILT
STEPHEN MORRIS/QB/MIAMI
CYRIL RICHARDSON/OG/BAYLOR
TELVIN SMITH/LB/DLORIDA STATE
SHAMAR STEPHEN/DT/UCONN
WILL SUTTON/DT/ARIZONA STATE
BILLY TURNER/OT/N. DAKOTA STATE

http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowlreport.htm
Thanks Buck!
  • buck
  • Veteran
interesting read--I edited it though. Link to full article is at the bottom.

2014 Senior Bowl: Notes from the Film Room

For the past three years in Mobile, Josh Norris of Rotoworld.com and I have gone into the XOS film room to review the practice tapes ourselves, and it's been a great opportunity to revisit certain players, focus on techniques, and review certain players on how their week's actually went, away from the media narrative or what we saw live.

Here are my personal takeaways from the Film session.

-Mike Davis consistently rounded his outside breaking routes during the week. He seems to have mastered the skinny post, but any deep out, comeback, or corner route lacks the precision required.

-Wake Forest's slot receiver Michael Campanaro utilized his balance and core strength as a route runner, consistently using physicality to get separation, including against some of the better press cornerbacks.

-Before he was injury during the week, Kain Colter of Northwestern was having a solid week. He showed the plant and burst at the top of his route, and was able to get separation despite being a former QB. He was more impressive as a pure receiver than Denard Robinson was last year. By a lot.

-When Tyler Larsen snaps the ball, gets his hands up quickly, and makes first contact, he was very impressive, including providing the only stop to Aaron Donald all week. When he doesn't get that first contact in position, it's over and he loses.

-Gabe Ikard followed a poor week at the Shrine Game with another poor week in Mobile. He lacks power and a sturdy enough base against any nose tackles. He's a Day Three pick who will struggle to be a starter in the NFL early.

-Billy Turner of North Dakota State struggled in pass protection , but don't rush to move him at guard. As Josh and I reviewed his film, he showed that he needs to sit better in his kick slide first and foremost. To me, it seems he completely lacks the technique in his first two kick slide steps. But that's VERY coachable. I'd still draft him Top 100 as a right tackle prospect.

-Stanley Jean-Baptiste was reported to have had a solid week, and I know one NFL team that agreed, but on the re-watch, that certainly wasn't the case. His poor hand usage atop the receiver's route, and his lackluster footwork on the receiver's break were two very concerning parts of his week.

-Pierre Desir of Lindenwood has finally emerged on the national stage, but keep in mind he's not a finished product. He takes too many gather steps on comebacks and vertically he struggles to adjust without losing speed. However, keep in mind that he received the bare minimum of coaching in college, and all of his issues are coachable. He's highly viewed by NFL teams.

-The best safety of the week? Easy, Jimmie Ward. The best cornerback of the week? Close, but it might also be Jimmie Ward.

Ward was fantastic in slot and tight end coverage, playing with patient feet, sinking low, and finishing with physicality at the catch point. Jaylen Watkins could also be called the best CB here, as he played tight to all of his receivers this week, using subtle contact on the edge, and showing great patience on playing the ball. With Ward, don't rule out the late first round.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2014-senior-bowl-notes-from-the-film-room.html

He moves very well and makes plays. Pretty good tackler. I can see why he stood out at the senior bowl

baptiste isnt a good football player? Im not saying we draft like the raiders and get physical freaks but this guy is a good player.
baptiste isnt a good football player? Im not saying we draft like the raiders and get physical freaks but this guy is a good player.

He's very raw. Not someone you throw in there to start unless you're a team like Seattle that simply presses and holds the s**t out of people. None of these taller guys people are going nuts over are ready to start right away, they all need time to develop.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Jordan Matthews!?

I'm down at pick 30. I'm hoping we can trade back and pick up an extra 4th (maybe another 7th as well) and still get a guy like him. Of all the receivers we can draft, he is my #1. He's ready to go from day one whether as a starter (worse case scenario if we don't resign Boldin) or as a number 3 or 4. Normally our 4s don't contribute much, but this is a guy that is TOO talented to keep on the bench. And I see him ultimately becoming a starter before his rookie deal is up, either replacing Boldin or Crabtree.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Thoughts from a person who interviewed Desir

-Lindenwood's Pierre Desir has been a great interview the past two weeks, at both the Shrine Game and Senior Bowl. A humble, reserved person, he comes from a background in raising his own family that has promoted a sense of focus and maturity that many don't enter the league with.

With his physical talents and coach-ability that he's shown in these two weeks, he's proven to be not a "raw" prospect, but a very "moldable" talent. Teams don't need to worry about him being underdeveloped at this point, because he hasn't received ideal coaching, and he's developing the fundamentals now that he has legitimate pro coaching. If he can work through the draft process and run the 40 yard dash in the low 4.5s, he could earn a Day Two grade from many teams in the NFL

http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2014-senior-bowl-interview-notes-with-david-fales-logan-thomas-jimmy-garoppolo-and-more.html
  • buck
  • Veteran
here is a site that has short interviews with some of the players from the Senior Bowl

http://footballgameplan.com/feat/seniorbowl/