There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

DE Michael Sam - Missouri

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Would honestly rather have Kony Ealy in the 1st as another guy to develop at DE. A Missouri DE to replace another Missouri DE on the DL.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/mobile/index.php?num=176429
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Michael Sam says he's gay

link
Originally posted by jrg:

link

No. Seriously? LOL There are 3 threads on this besides this.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by jrg:

link

No. Seriously? LOL There are 3 threads on this besides this.

All 3 from users that don't know how to use a search function.
I think it would be pretty ghey of us to draft him but who knows.
maybe he falls and we can snag him as a steal
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
He's got great length.
That's what he said.
Pretty smart by the kid

folks said he had a third round grade, if he gets picked lower or not at all, can write a book about it
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Pretty smart by the kid

folks said he had a third round grade, if he gets picked lower or not at all, can write a book about it

This. going to make money either as someone who can play and gets accepted into NFL culture or as someone who got burned because of his sexuality. It's all about being the first to do so.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Hopefully, for him, he doesn't get too much discrimination (let's not be naive), gets drafted and has a fine NFL career.

Seems like a really nice guy... I'm sure there is at least one or two fellas in this forum that would give it a twirl
Great publicity move on his part today, but I wouldn't spend anything higher than a late 4th rounder on him. He's undersized and recorded 9 of his 11.5 sacks in 3 games against Vandy, Arkansas State and Florida.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MikeRumph:
Great publicity move on his part today, but I wouldn't spend anything higher than a late 4th rounder on him. He's undersized and recorded 9 of his 11.5 sacks in 3 games against Vandy, Arkansas State and Florida.

dude I've posted it in all of the threads about this. He isn't getting "positive" publicity from this, at least not when it comes to NFL locker rooms and front offices.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/02/anonymous-nfl-execs-michael-sam-nfl-future

You'd hope Michael Sam's coming out wouldn't negatively affect his future in the NFL. ThisSports Illustrated story again reminded people that hope and reality are often far apart.

Anonymous NFL personnel were interviewed for their opinions about how would Sam's story affect his draft stock and NFL career. Their answers again exposed the NFL as a morally flawed league. None of them condemned Sam's decision, but they did note he now has a few more hurdles to get over.

"I don't think football is ready for [an openly gay player] just yet," one said in 2014. "In the coming decade or two, it's going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it's still a man's-man game. To call somebody a [gay slur] is still so commonplace. It'd chemically imbalance an NFL locker room and meeting room."

"Chemically imbalance?" The professionals' predictions don't get much better from here. One scout predicted Sam's draft stock will go down because, "Do you want to be the team to quote-unquote 'break that barrier?'" Another even criticized Sam's achievements during his season atMissouri, noting that even though he won SEC's Defensive Player of the Year, his numbers came against "garbage competition."

What's even more stunning is this: Most of the NFL teams had already known about Sam's sexual orientation (it was considered an open secret) and many had dropped him on their draft boards. So Sam's decision to come out, according to one assistant coach, was "not a smart move." So basically he'd have to live in secrecy to be accepted in America's Game.

Hardly publicity.

Then you have ignorant idiots who played professionally for years and voice their opinions....Go read his twitter feed. He's blasting how homophomic he is.

https://twitter.com/pcrayton12

patrick crayton ✔ @pcrayton12
Follow
"@AdamSchefter: Missouri DE Michael Sam, a projected mid-round pick, said today he's gay. Story now on ESPN2." Oh wow!!! There goes the NFL!

Follow
"@AdamSchefter: Missouri DE Michael Sam, a projected mid-round pick, said today he's gay. Story now on ESPN2." trying to figure why annonce

Follow
"@AdamSchefter: Missouri DE Michael Sam, a projected mid-round pick, said today he's gay. Story now on ESPN2." Stay in the closet and keep

Follow
"@AdamSchefter: Missouri DE Michael Sam, a projected mid-round pick, said today he's gay. Story now on ESPN2." To urself!!!

6:50 PM - 9 Feb 2014
Follow
"@jknoxville: @AdamSchefter how is this a football issue?" HeterosexualHeterosexuals aren't walking around saying I'm straight!!!

-------

At least many players like Chris Johnson, Pat McAffee, OchoCinco, Deion and others support him. Then you have apathetic people Brent Grimes saying he doesn't give a damn.

Then you have other idiots like a Fabian Washington, former Raider and Raven saying essentially the same things as Crayton.

-----
Going to be a long road for Sam, the NFL is going to explode from all of the opposing opinions.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 9, 2014 at 9:52 PM ]
As long as Tim Mcdonalds kid doesn't give him any tackling tips I'm sure he'll be just fine.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
As long as Tim Mcdonalds kid doesn't give him any tackling tips I'm sure he'll be just fine.

Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home