LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

Sean Parker-SS-Washington

Undersized, but high-performance safety. Similar height as Whitner, and a hard-hitting safety who also has done very well in coverage. He has decent range, not the fastest guy but has athleticism is more than sufficient. He's also quite intimidating, always looking to deliver a hard shot to the receiver. Definitely more of the strong safety type, loves to play up in the box, could be a nice find in the later rounds of the draft.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM ]
I like parker a lot. Have us taking him in the 5th in my early mock.

Him and Christian Bryant are my later round sleeper S picks.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

I think he might run well and get up in the 3rd round range
Originally posted by spizzy:

I think he might run well and get up in the 3rd round range

Always a possibility, mocks this early are always off, and i made my first mock over a month ago i believe. Things always shift a lot headed into the draft.
6'4" 225 lbs. Filled with Adderall, Roids and a real brash attitude. Those are the DB's you want.
Phoenix, AB, Idaho and other draft guys who do you think would be the most ready to come in play day 1 if we couldn't re-sign Whitner?

Would Hasean Clinton-Dix converted to SS be your first choice although he will likely be gone to someone who needs a FS? If he is gone I'd go CB Dennard/Gilbert/Verrett (Dennard probably gone) or WR (not sure who I like yet).

Is Bucannon or Bailey worth that 2nd #2 pick (assuming cb/wr first 2 picks)? Is Reynold still up there? I'd love to hear your thoughts on Tre Boston, Calvin Pryor and others.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 17, 2013 at 7:22 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Phoenix, AB, Idaho and other draft guys who do you think would be the most ready to come in play day 1 if we couldn't re-sign Whitner?

Would Hasean Clinton-Dix converted to SS be your first choice although he will likely be gone to someone who needs a FS? If he is gone I'd go CB Dennard/Gilbert/Verrett (Dennard probably gone) or WR (not sure who I like yet).

Is Bucannon or Bailey worth that 2nd #2 pick (assuming cb/wr first 2 picks)? Is Reynold still up there? I'd love to hear your thoughts on Tre Boston, Calvin Pryor and others.

I think Parker is mainly a backup SS to start, with potential to be a starter down the road, but major ST help in 2014.

Clinton-Dix could play SS IMO, he has the skills to be versatile enough to move around.

I would go CB or WR in round 1. I leaned towards Clinton-Dix with my 1st mock, but now I feel Whitner should be retained. And we should take a WR or CB early. Guys like Davante Adams and Allen Robinson late in rd 1, or CBs like Dennard, Gilbert, or Purifoy. Maybe Ekpre-Olomu if he falls.

SS wise. Buchannon, Bailey, Loston are all in that 2nd-3rd round range IMO. Loston is my guy that I would love to have. Though I rate Bailey higher, versatility IMO. He was a ILB at one point. Sleepers like Isaiah Lewis and Parker as mid-late rounders. Also Jordan Richards if he declares, he is a good SS from Stanford. Some give the guy flack. But he seems to have decent size and speed.

Boston is a high riser right now for me. I believe my 2nd FS rated right now. Forget off the top of my head. I have to re-adjust my rankings with declares and juniors staying.

Another position is QB, we need a legit #2. Guys like Murray and Mettenberger would work, but both has ACL tears, so I am wary of selecting them early. Jimmy Garoppolo is a riser. In the top 100 for sure. Keith Price, Logan Thomas, Bryn Renner(Also injured), Stephen Morris, and Jeff Matthews are possible in the mid-late rounds. I would of loved Derek Carr, but he is a top 10-15 pick for sure. Maybe Top 5-7. Figure Teddy B, Manziel, Carr, Hundley if he declares are he 1st rd QBs. Plus Bortles would be a 1st rd pick. I love the idea of him, but he will be snatched up quickly.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I think Parker is mainly a backup SS to start, with potential to be a starter down the road, but major ST help in 2014.

Clinton-Dix could play SS IMO, he has the skills to be versatile enough to move around.

I would go CB or WR in round 1. I leaned towards Clinton-Dix with my 1st mock, but now I feel Whitner should be retained. And we should take a WR or CB early. Guys like Davante Adams and Allen Robinson late in rd 1, or CBs like Dennard, Gilbert, or Purifoy. Maybe Ekpre-Olomu if he falls.

SS wise. Buchannon, Bailey, Loston are all in that 2nd-3rd round range IMO. Loston is my guy that I would love to have. Though I rate Bailey higher, versatility IMO. He was a ILB at one point. Sleepers like Isaiah Lewis and Parker as mid-late rounders. Also Jordan Richards if he declares, he is a good SS from Stanford. Some give the guy flack. But he seems to have decent size and speed.

Boston is a high riser right now for me. I believe my 2nd FS rated right now. Forget off the top of my head. I have to re-adjust my rankings with declares and juniors staying.

Another position is QB, we need a legit #2. Guys like Murray and Mettenberger would work, but both has ACL tears, so I am wary of selecting them early. Jimmy Garoppolo is a riser. In the top 100 for sure. Keith Price, Logan Thomas, Bryn Renner(Also injured), Stephen Morris, and Jeff Matthews are possible in the mid-late rounds. I would of loved Derek Carr, but he is a top 10-15 pick for sure. Maybe Top 5-7. Figure Teddy B, Manziel, Carr, Hundley if he declares are he 1st rd QBs. Plus Bortles would be a 1st rd pick. I love the idea of him, but he will be snatched up quickly.

Pretty much this, Parker is a guy I see adding depth, helping on special teams, etc. Boston is a guy I like a lot, he shows a lot of versatility, can play cornerback and safety, great coverage guy who needs to work on his tackling but otherwise an outstanding prospect.

If Loston fell to the 49ers in the 2nd round, I'd be psyched, he's a great SS prospect and obviously has familiarity with Reid already. He also has the size you'd like in a strong safety.
In addition to agreeing with what the guys have already said, personally there just isaint anyone this year that i feel 100% confident taking over net to Reid from day one. Im just not that high on the class personally.

My ideal offseason at SS would be resigning Hitner to a two year extension, then drafting a couple of guys later that e could develop to take over after that time. This is why i was so disappointed we didnt take a SS project last season when the class was deep.

If we could sign Hitner than a guy like Parker would be a good project, also a guy i dont see anyone talking about besides me really is Christian Bryant. I know he was injured this season, but that defense really missed him IMO, and he could be a real steal late in the draft.
In addition to agreeing with what the guys have already said, personally there just isaint anyone this year that i feel 100% confident taking over net to Reid from day one. Im just not that high on the class personally.

My ideal offseason at SS would be resigning Hitner to a two year extension, then drafting a couple of guys later that e could develop to take over after that time. This is why i was so disappointed we didnt take a SS project last season when the class was deep.

If we could sign Hitner than a guy like Parker would be a good project, also a guy i dont see anyone talking about besides me really is Christian Bryant. I know he was injured this season, but that defense really missed him IMO, and he could be a real steal late in the draft.

I think Loston is a guy who could come in and be a starter from day 1. I think Boston could pull it off, depending on how he improves over the offseason and preseason. The thing with Boston is that he's really more of a free safety type, very good coverage guy, has the ability to play anywhere in the secondary and I kind of like that. Ideally, I'd like to see them re-sign Whitner and then draft a guy like Boston who can be brought in as a 3rd safety or a nickel/dime CB, a guy who can contribute all over the place and basically replace Dahl on the roster.

AB, Phoenix, Idaho thanks for the replies and all you guys do to keep the draft forum active. I learn a lot from you guys and others. You guys kind of warm me up before I start digging into the draft myself. When AB brought up Loston a month or so back I thought he had great size and was built like a truck but I worry he would be too stiff and not do well in coverage. Does he play to high looks like it to me from the little I watched. Maybe a DJ Swearinger type... how has he done this year? I realize 4 inches in height difference but both built similar... Swearing maybe a little thicker. In today's NFL I just think you need a SS who can cover more so than play the run (well need both) and that's why I wouldn't mind converting a FS.

As for Whitner I think we should at least look into re-signing him. I guess a lot of it was Goldson but then again in 2011 I thought Whitner was great and he was with Goldson. I'd look at a 1-2 year deal as he will be 29. 3 might be pushing it... I think in the open market he would get or look for 3-4 years at say 4-5 a year but we'd more in the market at 1 year 4-5 mil, 2 years 6-8 but thats a guess. Either way I just think he can get more years and more money going elsewhere so will depend if he wants to win or get paid.

So Boston couldn't add weight/bulk up and play SS if he worked on his tackling? Phoenix, you mentioned he needs to work on tackling is he afraid to tackle or just needs to learn better fundamentals? If it's better fundamentals you can teach that, have him bulk up a bit and then you have a guy who can cover but still play the run. What's everyone's thoughts on Bailey from USC? Seems pretty productive and good size although wish he was an inch or 2 taller although not like 6 foot is short at all. I wouldn't get a 5'8 or 5'9 safety or CB... 5'10 like Whitner is about the lowest I'd go.

AB, we very well could be looking for a 2nd QB BUT if we are happy with Kap and think he is our future does it pay to get a 2nd, even 3rd rounder and risk a RGIII/Cousins situation? Sure the competition is good and we dont have much into Kap but not sure I want to invest in a #2 that high unless they aren't confident in Kap. I wouldn't hate it if they went 3rd-4th round QB for a #2 or 3 but I think they like their #2's to be vets who can come in an play day 1. With how talented this team is they probably want a game manager who would give us a chance and not have the season be over if Kap goes down. Maybe a rookie could do that but not sure they would want to risk it. So I think vet QB #2 (probably not McCoy) and a rookie for #3. I could be wrong though again if they aren't happy with Kap then go for a #2 or 3 round QB.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM ]
AB, Phoenix, Idaho thanks for the replies and all you guys do to keep the draft forum active. I learn a lot from you guys and others. You guys kind of warm me up before I start digging into the draft myself. When AB brought up Loston a month or so back I thought he had great size and was built like a truck but I worry he would be too stiff and not do well in coverage. Does he play to high looks like it to me from the little I watched. Maybe a DJ Swearinger type... how has he done this year? I realize 4 inches in height difference but both built similar... Swearing maybe a little thicker. In today's NFL I just think you need a SS who can cover more so than play the run (well need both) and that's why I wouldn't mind converting a FS.

As for Whitner I think we should at least look into re-signing him. I guess a lot of it was Goldson but then again in 2011 I thought Whitner was great and he was with Goldson. I'd look at a 1-2 year deal as he will be 29. 3 might be pushing it... I think in the open market he would get or look for 3-4 years at say 4-5 a year but we'd more in the market at 1 year 4-5 mil, 2 years 6-8 but thats a guess. Either way I just think he can get more years and more money going elsewhere so will depend if he wants to win or get paid.

So Boston couldn't add weight/bulk up and play SS if he worked on his tackling? Phoenix, you mentioned he needs to work on tackling is he afraid to tackle or just needs to learn better fundamentals? If it's better fundamentals you can teach that, have him bulk up a bit and then you have a guy who can cover but still play the run. What's everyone's thoughts on Bailey from USC? Seems pretty productive and good size although wish he was an inch or 2 taller although not like 6 foot is short at all. I wouldn't get a 5'8 or 5'9 safety or CB... 5'10 like Whitner is about the lowest I'd go.

AB, we very well could be looking for a 2nd QB BUT if we are happy with Kap and think he is our future does it pay to get a 2nd, even 3rd rounder and risk a RGIII/Cousins situation? Sure the competition is good and we dont have much into Kap but not sure I want to invest in a #2 that high unless they aren't confident in Kap. I wouldn't hate it if they went 3rd-4th round QB for a #2 or 3 but I think they like their #2's to be vets who can come in an play day 1. With how talented this team is they probably want a game manager who would give us a chance and not have the season be over if Kap goes down. Maybe a rookie could do that but not sure they would want to risk it. So I think vet QB #2 (probably not McCoy) and a rookie for #3. I could be wrong though again if they aren't happy with Kap then go for a #2 or 3 round QB.

Poor fundamentals, at times appears a little hesitant, I don't think he received the greatest coaching in that regard, is very raw and needs to develop.

My Opinion on QB's, is that if you are in a position where you can develop them, have the luxury of extra draft picks to take one, and are in a position to take BPA through the mid rounds, that they are always a good investment. Our QB depth is awful IMO and we need to address it. I personally really like Garoppolo and if for some reason he happened to be there in the third round i would snag him in a heart beat. It seems to be a pretty deep class, and at the very least if we spend a mid round pick on a QB and we can develop him we could have some trade bait down the line, or someone that turns into a long term backup.
I think he would be good for a 7th round flier.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
This guy has long had my vote for late round safety / ST player.
Share 49ersWebzone