There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tre Boston-SS/FS/CB-North Carolina

6'0", 210. Boston has just completely gone under the radar here. Haven't seen many mentions of him but love the thought of the 49ers adding this guy. He is very strong in coverage, can play cornerback or safety and would give the 49ers a hell of a tandem if Whitner doesn't re-sign. Even if he were to re-sign, Boston could aid as depth at safety as well as playing the slot cornerback. He has enough speed to cover the deep portion of the field and is a generally solid tackler. He's had 4 interceptions in each of the past 2 seasons. He does well in attacking the ball in the air and has solid size for the position as well.










I see he's been pretty underrated a around here as well. Very solid prospect that can play a variety of positions, add depth in multiple areas in the secondary, good in coverage. I'd like to see him paired up with Reid. What round do you think he'll still be available by? I say third.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
I see he's been pretty underrated a around here as well. Very solid prospect that can play a variety of positions, add depth in multiple areas in the secondary, good in coverage. I'd like to see him paired up with Reid. What round do you think he'll still be available by? I say third.

Depending on how the offseason goes, I see him going anywhere from the early 3rd to late 3rd round. He's got the necessary skills but has areas where he needs to improve in, especially his tackling. The upside though is tremendous, even if Whitner comes back he'd be a nice guy to have around for depth, to fill in at whatever position, contribute on special teams...etc.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 14, 2013 at 4:14 PM ]
Saw him ranked as a top 5 sleeper on the NFL Draft Facebook page. Watched him play against Duke and he looked like he could cover and play the run equally well. I wouldn't be upset seeing him in Red and Gold next year.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Saw him ranked as a top 5 sleeper on the NFL Draft Facebook page. Watched him play against Duke and he looked like he could cover and play the run equally well. I wouldn't be upset seeing him in Red and Gold next year.

This. Would be a nice pickup for the 49ers.
Does he have A+ academics? Harbaugh drafts for academics, also what about his hit power?
If he has long arms, Baalke might be interested.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,197
Much better player than Craig Dahl. If we resign Donte Whitner, I'd fully support replacing Dahl for Boston. And Boston will improve his tackling ability when he gets coached by Donatell and Seely as he'll see ST duties in his first year.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Much better player than Craig Dahl. If we resign Donte Whitner, I'd fully support replacing Dahl for Boston. And Boston will improve his tackling ability when he gets coached by Donatell and Seely as he'll see ST duties in his first year.

This. Regardless if Donte stays or not, we need more depth behind him and Reid. When either one of those dudes go down and Dahl or CJ have to come in the drop off in quality is just !
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,308
I'll take any UNC defensive player that doesn't play on the line. Good god other than Quinn they've produced nothing but terrible front 7 players. I have a hard time thinking of any of their LBs are good.

I saw 2 or 3 UNC games early in the year and Boston played pretty damn well. Not enough to have any opinion on where he'd go though.
CBS lists Boston as a 4th rounder and I believe the 9ers will pick a safety in a higher round. But the fact he can play CB or S would be tempting in either the 3rd or 4th round. Of course, the 9ers 4th is late so they'd likely have to take him late 3rd.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 17,197
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
CBS lists Boston as a 4th rounder and I believe the 9ers will pick a safety in a higher round. But the fact he can play CB or S would be tempting in either the 3rd or 4th round. Of course, the 9ers 4th is late so they'd likely have to take him late 3rd.

3rd round comp pick FTW
I know one thing, this dude takes some of the most dynamic still shots I have ever seen...he looks like a walking Madden highlight.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
CBS lists Boston as a 4th rounder and I believe the 9ers will pick a safety in a higher round. But the fact he can play CB or S would be tempting in either the 3rd or 4th round. Of course, the 9ers 4th is late so they'd likely have to take him late 3rd.

Yeah and CBS was off on close to 50% of the picks last year. I wouldn't take their rankings system as gospel. I've seen Boston ranked anywhere from the early 2nd to the 4th. I think early 3rd round is about right for him.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,350
Tre Boston is intriguing.

In the past two years, Boston has 8 picks and 14 passes broken up--22 passes defended.

In the same period of time, Jonathan Dowling has 9 picks and 13 passes broken up--22 passes defended.

Jimmy ward is the only safety with more passes defended in the last two years than Boston and Dowling. Ward has 9 picks and 19 passes broken up—28 passes defended.

Dowling has 8 forced fumbles. Ward has 2, and Boston 0.

edit: Caleb Schaffitzel SS from Missouri St also has 9 picks and 13 passes broken up for 22 passes defended, but he is a junior and there is no indication that he will declare.
[ Edited by buck on Dec 23, 2013 at 8:39 AM ]
...