There are 226 users in the forums

Brandon Thorn's 2014 NFL Mock Draft (2 Rounds)

I completely revamped the mock draft based on the MOST current draft order after week 15: http://sportsagentblog.com/2013/12/11/the-sports-agent-blog-2014-nfl-mock-draft/

San Frans' picks didn't change because all the previous players were still available but there were over 20+ other changes..
Originally posted by matt49er:
no reason to go DL in the 1st IMO. With TJE playing well, Tank coming on next season and Dial getting a full off season going into his 2nd season. Not to mention Ian Williams will be back. I want a DB or WR in the 1st.

Under contract for 2014 season
Ray McDonald
Justin Smith
Ian Williams
Glen Dorsey
Tank Carradine
TJE
Quinton Dial

Dobbs FA-

So the Niners usually keep 6 DL and have 7 at the time for 2014. Why would one burn a first round pick when they have zero shot of cracking the starting line up for 2014.

I would venture to say burn a 6th or 7th rounder on a player that can be stashed on the PS and learn how to work out NFL style by Cowboy and Ray Mac.
I understand your point, but how much longer do you think soon-to-be 35-year old Justin Smith and 30-year old Ray McDonald will last? And are Tank and Dial locks to be long-term stalwart type of guys? If so, then yeah, d-line would be foolish to address so early (UNLESS, Hageman is there, it's a simple case of the value being too high to pass) and for a team like San Fran you can afford to take the best player available regardless.

I do agree that d-line isn't close to your biggest need though.
Pick another guy who needs surgery in the later round, let him sit for a year and...
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by matt49er:
no reason to go DL in the 1st IMO. With TJE playing well, Tank coming on next season and Dial getting a full off season going into his 2nd season. Not to mention Ian Williams will be back. I want a DB or WR in the 1st.

Under contract for 2014 season
Ray McDonald
Justin Smith
Ian Williams
Glen Dorsey
Tank Carradine
TJE
Quinton Dial

Dobbs FA-

So the Niners usually keep 6 DL and have 7 at the time for 2014. Why would one burn a first round pick when they have zero shot of cracking the starting line up for 2014.

I would venture to say burn a 6th or 7th rounder on a player that can be stashed on the PS and learn how to work out NFL style by Cowboy and Ray Mac.
We also have the rugby/Olympian coming off IR.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by CasBanaszek:
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
I beg to differ with the prevailing don't draft a DL in the 1st round attitude here. Look what Lotulelei has done for the Panthers defense. Our nose tackle depth is just guys. I mean, all NFL players are great athletes, but our guys aren't special. Remember Bryant Young? Can you imagine what a top NT could do for the defensive line, and the defense as a whole? There's no guarantee that Tank will play at Justin's level, or do the things Justin does. We don't know if Dial is gonna cut it or not. MacDonald ain't no spring chicken either. George Seifert, the genius behind the top notch 49ers defense in the 80's and 90's, always maintained you can't have enough defensive linemen. With Culliver, Brock, Brown, and Wright we have a plethora of corners. If we retain Whitner, we're OK at the safety spot for one more year. I think drafting a NT is the thing to do. Just because something isn't conventional wisdom doesn't mean it's wrong.

Two problems with that statement:
1. Brown is most likely gone next year
2. You seem to forget Culliver is coming off a tore ACL. You're assuming he'll be back to himself immediately when really, nobody has no idea what he'll look like post knee reconstruction. Not everybody is Peterson.

So no, that's not a "plethora" of depth at CB. If Dennard or Gilbert are still available when we pick, Baalke would be crazy to pass one of those guys up for a DL that's not even an immediate need for us right now.

1. What evidence do you have to support that? The 49ers may wind up well under the cap next season if Rodgers is cut.
2. You seem to forget the advances in sports medicine that have taken place. Players now routinely come back quickly from injuries that were career-ending a year ago. Crabtree is a great example of that. It's not just Peterson, it's the advances in medicine, both surgery and the recovery period.

So yes, it quite possibly a 'plethora' of depth at CB. If you think MacDonald, Smith and whatever stiff we put in at NT will continue to be as dominant as they have in the past, you're crazy.

Our NTs are not "stiffs." Our starting NT is not "just a guy." Dorsey was a #3 overall pick. If KC didn't snag him at 3, he'd have likely gone at 4 or 5. That gives him the best draft pedigree on this squad, and that was a direct result of immense physical potential and college production. He was poorly coached and utilized at KC, so we got him cheap as he performs some rehab to his stock as a player. He is playing better than any NT we've had in recent memory, and it's his 1st year at the position. He is not a 350+ lb plugger, because we don't use those. We use strong, high motor guys who win with leverage, quickness, and technique, because that is our scheme. It seems to be working for years now, too.

Dorsey was the fifth pick in that draft to KC. Ryan was the third pick http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_Draft
Originally posted by BThorn86:
26. San Francisco (9-4) DT Ra'Shede Hageman – Minnesota: The 49ers' defense has incredible all-around talent as far as their starters go, but their backups leave something to be desired. The defensive line is led by Justin Smith but he will be 35-years old next season. Hageman's stock will likely rise tremendously once his insane athleticism is put on display at the combine, but the tape will even him out to somewhere in this range come draft day. San Francisco prides themselves in developing their own, especially on the defensive side. Hageman has the work ethic and immense talent to develop into a key cog for the 49ers' well-oiled defensive machine....http://sportsagentblog.com/2013/12/11/the-sports-agent-blog-2014-nfl-mock-draft/
First of all: I do not want to count any possible moves out but have still to argue about some of your mocks.

2. St. Louis – from Washington (3-11) – DE Jadeveon Clowney – South Carolina
you are not the first one with that. Simply I don't get this idea, Quinn and Long are very good pass-rushers and the latter one would be a very high cap hit if released in 2014. Furthermore, the Rams need an OT and there is still the question whether they will go with Bradford under center into the next season.
Yes, you mock an OT to the Rams with their second 1st-rounder but the Rams NEED a safety and an OT badly. Given all these facts, Clowney is too much of a luxury. I think they will rather trade down a little bit instead of going for Clowney.

3. Oakland (4-10) – LB/DE Anthony Barr – UCLA
Yes, they need help all over the defense (almost all over the defense) but they also need a franchise QB; I assume that neither Pryor nor McGroin is the future.

Niners picks
You are talking about Hageman as if he were set very high on the big board; I dont know about that. And Roby would be available with this pick, so why going for the luxury?
Originally posted by BThorn86:
I understand your point, but how much longer do you think soon-to-be 35-year old Justin Smith and 30-year old Ray McDonald will last? And are Tank and Dial locks to be long-term stalwart type of guys? If so, then yeah, d-line would be foolish to address so early (UNLESS, Hageman is there, it's a simple case of the value being too high to pass) and for a team like San Fran you can afford to take the best player available regardless.

I do agree that d-line isn't close to your biggest need though.

I'm not going to say that we shouldn't look at defensive line. I would, but later in the draft. How much longer can the 49ers go with receiver being a glaring weakness? There is no way we get out of the second round without taking at least one receiver and I think there is a strong possibility that if Baalke really likes a guy, he will be trading up.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
I beg to differ with the prevailing don't draft a DL in the 1st round attitude here. Look what Lotulelei has done for the Panthers defense. Our nose tackle depth is just guys. I mean, all NFL players are great athletes, but our guys aren't special. Remember Bryant Young? Can you imagine what a top NT could do for the defensive line, and the defense as a whole? There's no guarantee that Tank will play at Justin's level, or do the things Justin does. We don't know if Dial is gonna cut it or not. MacDonald ain't no spring chicken either. George Seifert, the genius behind the top notch 49ers defense in the 80's and 90's, always maintained you can't have enough defensive linemen. With Culliver, Brock, Brown, and Wright we have a plethora of corners. If we retain Whitner, we're OK at the safety spot for one more year. I think drafting a NT is the thing to do. Just because something isn't conventional wisdom doesn't mean it's wrong.

Two problems with that statement:
1. Brown is most likely gone next year
2. You seem to forget Culliver is coming off a tore ACL. You're assuming he'll be back to himself immediately when really, nobody has no idea what he'll look like post knee reconstruction. Not everybody is Peterson.

So no, that's not a "plethora" of depth at CB. If Dennard or Gilbert are still available when we pick, Baalke would be crazy to pass one of those guys up for a DL that's not even an immediate need for us right now.

Culliver is going to have 12 months to heal. That's the only good thing. Revis doesn't look the same.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'm not going to say that we shouldn't look at defensive line. I would, but later in the draft. How much longer can the 49ers go with receiver being a glaring weakness? There is no way we get out of the second round without taking at least one receiver and I think there is a strong possibility that if Baalke really likes a guy, he will be trading up.
However, he mocked a CB and a WR to us in round 2. That is what you want, why do you complain then?

Not bad Brandon. I dont agree with a DT in rd 1, we have many DL under contract for the next few years.

As for Gaines and Adams, would love them there. I think Gaines is in the late 2nd-early 3rd round range. But Adams is a 1st rd pick most likely.
Right..I think I have the 9ers addressing all their needs. And to respond to taking Roby over Hageman (even if CB is a higher need than DL) would be a mistake in my opinion. Hageman lasting to the point I have you guys grabbing him would be him slipping already. But again, I think the three biggest areas you could want some help I have you drafting (plus getting good value)
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
However, he mocked a CB and a WR to us in round 2. That is what you want, why do you complain then?

We have two starters. It would be like drafting a tackle in round 1. We do need a backup tackle in the event that Staley or Davis are injured, but should we go looking for one in the first round? Wide receiver on the other hand is a little more shaky and we can possibly move up in the draft for one of the top ones that should be available. I also have less faith in this coaching staff's ability to develop receivers as opposed to defensive lineman.
i do think they found a solid player in tje this year. dorsey, while not dominant, has played pretty well. plus, tank has to get some reps next year and williams will come back. dial will have to prove that he's not just a big body. i think dobbs might have a tough time making the roster next year.
Share 49ersWebzone