There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Yay Area's First Look at the 2014 Draft

1. First round (Own pick) ………….................................................... Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
2. Second round (Own pick) ……...................................................... Odell Beckham, WR, LSU
3. Second round (Kansas City pick from 2013 Alex Smith trade) .... Kyle Fuller, CB/S, Virginia Tech
4. Third round (Tennessee pick in 2013 draft day trade)…………..... Dominique Easley, DE/DT, FLorida
5. Third round (Own pick)……………................................................ Tyler Larson, C, Utah State
6. **Third (Compensatory)…………................................................... LaDamian Washington, WR, Missouri
7. Fourth round (Own pick) …………................................................. Morgan Moses, OG/OT, Virginia
8. Fifth round (Own pick) ……........................................................... Marqueston Huff, FS, Wyoming
9. Sixth round (Own pick) ………....................................................... Keith Price, QB, Washington
10. Seventh round (Carolina pick from 2012 Colin Jones trade) …... Alden Darby, SS, Arizona State
11. Seventh round (New Orleans pick from Parys Haralson trade) .. Spencer Long, OG, Nebraska
12. Seventh round (Indianapolis pick from Cam Johnson trade)....... James Franklin, QB, Missouri
13. Seventh round (Own pick) ………................................................ Austin Wentworth, OT, Fresno State

To me this draft, serves a few purposes. We get depth along the lines, which is always necessary to have. We get help at WR and CB. And we get a couple QBs to develop behind Kap. Specifically, with Gilbert and Fuller, we get two corners that have the speed and size that Balke likes. With Beckham and Washington, we get two very speedy receivers that will help to take the top off of the defenses we face. With the four offensive lineman, we get potentially a our future center in Larson, as well as good depth at all positions. With the two safeties Huff and Darby, again we get good depth and another name to throw into the mix if Whitner leaves. And finally, we get a few Balke injury specials that can redshirt next year in Easley and Long.
[ Edited by YayArea on Dec 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM ]
What about a punt returner?
cbs and wr are too short
Justin Gilbert is one of the best returners in the country. Plus, he and Fuller are not small. Both are 6 foot 200 lb corners that run high 4.4s. Balke loves those types of corners. He's never been one to go after really tall corners like Seattle has because we don't play press coverage almost 100% of the time like Seattle. As far the receivers, I'll give you Beckham, he is is 5-11, but Washington is 6-4, and they both run low 4.4s/high 4.3s.
love gilbert and ok with fuller..beckham I like but would rather trade up and grab allen robinson..or jaelen strong is he comes out which is doubtful..would be awesome is Easley was there where you have us drafting him..but unlikely..he will go in the 2nd..not to familiar with huff or darby..also have us taking a lot of o-line which we don't really need that many..i think our 5th round pick and on will be traded in earlier rounds to move up for players we desire anyway..
we will need a high pick guard. chances are iupati and Goodwin are gone next year. looney may fill in for one spot but Kilgore has been countlessly leap frogged which leads me to believe he isn't very good. other than that I like. are you expecting fuller to be our new SS?
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
we will need a high pick guard. chances are iupati and Goodwin are gone next year. looney may fill in for one spot but Kilgore has been countlessly leap frogged which leads me to believe he isn't very good. other than that I like. are you expecting fuller to be our new SS?

I agree with the Kilgore point..but im thinking looney will be ok at guard and Kilgore at center..if anything im thinking we only need to replace 1 of the 2..would be great if we had the $$ to sign both and keep our line in tact for years..tho iupati isn't a free agent until next year I believe
james franklin should have a lot more passing yards with the receivers Missouri has on their team
Not bad at all, I wouldn't be upset if things went down this way. Like the additions of Gilbert, Beckham, Larsen, Easley and Price in particular.
Justin Gilbert + Odell Beckham Jr
I just elected to do this mock without trades. But I assume there will be quite a few trades just like the last few years. There is no way we bring in eleven new players. But yeah, that is a lot of offensive lineman. I doubt that we would take that many, but like JustinNiner said who know what will happen with Iupati, and Goodwin is likely gone. So having the depth wouldn't hurt. A couple other things, I also wouldn't mind trading up in the first similar to last years Eric Reid trade to get a WR, especially if Marquise Lee is still there. As for Fuller, he's a cornerback with some safety experience similar to Culliver. I figure that our cornerback outlook is pretty much going to come down to rogers or wright, brock, culliver, morris, and these two rookies, Gilbert and Fuller. Finally, as for the QBs, I agree that Franklin should be better, again I was really just filling out my draft and trying to project which QBs we could realistically take that Harbaugh would like. But I don't think we will take two QBs.
Originally posted by YayArea:
Justin Gilbert is one of the best returners in the country. Plus, he and Fuller are not small. Both are 6 foot 200 lb corners that run high 4.4s. Balke loves those types of corners. He's never been one to go after really tall corners like Seattle has because we don't play press coverage almost 100% of the time like Seattle. As far the receivers, I'll give you Beckham, he is is 5-11, but Washington is 6-4, and they both run low 4.4s/high 4.3s.

Baalke loves long arms. These guys u listed better have longer than normal arms... especially on the earlier picks
[ Edited by kronik on Dec 8, 2013 at 9:28 PM ]
Nice mock. Like the speed WR picks and both Gilbert and Beckham are KR's, too, Two great picks in Easley and Long as Baalke injury specials. Also like the approach to handling our backup QB situation.
I like your explanation that Gilber and Beckham are both return men, for me that is a huge need. It might mean the end of Le Michael James but we need help in that position. I like Baalke's dual skill philosophy. I don't think that we will pick a Dlineman for our fourth pick due to Okoye, Carridine, Ian Williams, Dorsey, Jerod-Eddy, Dial, J. Smith, and McDonald, and Dobbs. So I would expect that they will go for a higher level QB, Oline, or another WR for WR is definitely a need area for us. But in any case it will be interesting to see what they think and what they do in the off season.
My thought process in taking the DE/DT Dominique Easley while already having so many defensive lineman, is that he was very good before his injury and that injury will allow us to put him on the IR like we have done with Carradine, and essentially redshirt him. Then we can figure things out later and see which players develop, and which spots open up like with the possible retirement of Cowboy within the next few years. This time will allow cream rise to the top.