LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Kelvin Benjamin

• fan49
  • Veteran
He's a beast. But we need some one who is going to break ankles and burn by someone. Just saying. If we get Ellington later I can dig it
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by Butter:
I'm really concerned about his weight. He's 240 already, how big will he get in the pros?

On the upside, a team like the Niners is probably the best case scenario for the player. Be could learn behind Crab and Boldin. The Niners have the luxury of letting players develop on their deep roster.

Bottom line is his value iMO. He'd be great value in the 2nd/3rd. Not so sure about the 1st. I'd rather roll the dice on Moncrief.

He was 242 at his pro day.

They will put weight clause in the contract, like what they do to AD. Could forfeit millions if he's not in good condition and in shape.

I think it's a factor to consider.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Kelvin should be converted into a TE. He lacks top end speed to be a WR.
Speed is negated somewhat in the RZ. However, KB is perfect for it. 5 yards out, I want KB not Cooks. If we are at their 20, yea, Cooks would be nice. Still, I see enough field speed like Boldin to get it done.
Our biggest weakness, IMO, is our epic failures in the Red Zone. It cost us a Super Bowl and the Seattle playoff game.

This MUST be fixed!!

I don't know if it's Benjamin or Montcrief or whoever.

A word to the guys drafting especially the coaches - "Those who cannot remember their past are condemned to repeat it."
I like him a lot. He plays much faster than his 40 time and can get behind people. He can't be pressed and that will be a great asset against the Seattle's Cover 3 press scheme. His leaping ability is game changing. He is a guy you can throw to even when he is not open and he can just out jump most if not all CBs. I'm sure they will make him come into camp at a certain weight but I think about 230-235 is a reasonable range for him to shoot for. Starting to hope we get this guy.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Our biggest weakness, IMO, is our epic failures in the Red Zone. It cost us a Super Bowl and the Seattle playoff game.

This MUST be fixed!!

I don't know if it's Benjamin or Montcrief or whoever.

A word to the guys drafting especially the coaches - "Those who cannot remember their past are condemned to repeat it."

Our problems in the red zone won't be fixed by a big receiver. They stem from conservative play calling and a young QB. Kap never should have thrown that pass vs Seattle. Against their best CB with great coverage? Look to the other receivers or throw the ball away. We had 3 more downs. Bad decision. He made up his mind to throw that pass before the play started, never looked at the other receivers and then badly underthrew the ball. Nothing to do with not having red zone threats.

Crabtree is a good red zone threat. So is Boldin. How many TE's have outscored Vernon Davis the last couple of years? We have red zone threats. Lots of them. We need better play calling and better quarterbacking. We usually run the ball a couple of times and hope to get in conservatively and throw if we have to a safe pass on 3rd down. Protect the FG and count on our defense. That's the formula. Hopefully Kap gets better, he's young and still learning.
  • pfizz
exactly! our problem isnt from our personnel but starts from our play calling philosophy and then kap definitely has a hand in it.

easy pass on this guy. IMO he will be a bust. dude's route running is poor and his hands are suspect. his huge size advantage would be a moot point vs seattle. NO THANKS!
[ Edited by pfizz on Mar 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM ]
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Our problems in the red zone won't be fixed by a big receiver. They stem from conservative play calling and a young QB. Kap never should have thrown that pass vs Seattle. Against their best CB with great coverage? Look to the other receivers or throw the ball away. We had 3 more downs. Bad decision. He made up his mind to throw that pass before the play started, never looked at the other receivers and then badly underthrew the ball. Nothing to do with not having red zone threats.

Crabtree is a good red zone threat. So is Boldin. How many TE's have outscored Vernon Davis the last couple of years? We have red zone threats. Lots of them. We need better play calling and better quarterbacking. We usually run the ball a couple of times and hope to get in conservatively and throw if we have to a safe pass on 3rd down. Protect the FG and count on our defense. That's the formula. Hopefully Kap gets better, he's young and still learning.

This.

I'm really concerned about his weight. He's 240 already, how big will he get in the pros?

On the upside, a team like the Niners is probably the best case scenario for the player. Be could learn behind Crab and Boldin. The Niners have the luxury of letting players develop on their deep roster.

Bottom line is his value iMO. He'd be great value in the 2nd/3rd. Not so sure about the 1st. I'd rather roll the dice on Moncrief.

They will put weight clause in the contract, like what they do to AD. Could forfeit millions if he's not in good condition and in shape.

This is definitely a red flag. My biggest worry is if KB has the work ethic to become an elite receiver or if he'll eat himself out of the league. If we do take a risk on him, he'll be in one of the best locker rooms in the NFL. Boldin could take him under his wing and teach him how to be a pro and Kaep can take him to Miami in the offseason to work out like a beast.

• pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DrJawbreaker:

This is definitely a red flag. My biggest worry is if KB has the work ethic to become an elite receiver or if he'll eat himself out of the league. If we do take a risk on him, he'll be in one of the best locker rooms in the NFL. Boldin could take him under his wing and teach him how to be a pro and Kaep can take him to Miami in the offseason to work out like a beast.

Our offseason program is no joke, and since Boldin is also from FSU, I am sure he will take him under his wing and workout with him.
He's not in my top 10 that I want in the first but I've been warming up to him and wouldn't be mad about it.
I don't think we'll go Benjamin anyway.
I bet a team falls in love with him and jumps on him before we get a chance... I don't see Baalke trading up for a receiver...
Im a huge fan of KB and I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him. For all thos saying hes this or hes that you really don't know what your talking about. The truth is none of us have any idea how he will pan out in the pros.
Share 49ersWebzone