LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

Kelvin Benjamin

Draft him he'll go mid to late 1st round. Niners can really use a redzone WR threat, and this dude gets after the ball
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kelvin+benjamin&sm=1
My concern with Benjamin is his usefulness between the 20's. He's a great jump ball receiver, but he struggles mightily in traffic. His technique in terms of route running and separation will certainly improve. Still, I don't agree with drafting receivers who don't possess great OVERALL ball skills.

Baalke got it right with this years stable of WR's. Crabs, Boldin, VD and even Patton can do it all! In's, out's, seam routes, screens, fly's...anything you want! Continuing to draft WR's who can catch in all facets of the position is the way to go!
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
My concern with Benjamin is his usefulness between the 20's. He's a great jump ball receiver, but he struggles mightily in traffic. His technique in terms of route running and separation will certainly improve. Still, I don't agree with drafting receivers who don't possess great OVERALL ball skills.

Baalke got it right with this years stable of WR's. Crabs, Boldin, VD and even Patton can do it all! In's, out's, seam routes, screens, fly's...anything you want! Continuing to draft WR's who can catch in all facets of the position is the way to go!

If we retain Boldin, Crabtree and Patton for next season, I believe what we would need to compliment that bunch is a guy who can make plays deep.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:

If we retain Boldin, Crabtree and Patton for next season, I believe what we would need to compliment that bunch is a guy who can make plays deep.

So you want a Robert Meachem or Stephen Hill? What you're proposing, we've tried already with A.J. Jenkins. It's difficult to field WR's who are limited in their skill set. Josh Gordon is a stud because he runs the entire route tree well and can catch the football in any situation.

Again, it's not a good idea to draft WR's that need work on catching once they reach the pro's, no matter how athletic they are. For example, give me DeAndre Hopkins over Cordarrelle Patterson.
Doesn't this guy drop a few balls? I have heard sometimes he makes some relatively easy drops.
Ive been wanting a tall WR for years so i'd love to have Benjamin.
Originally posted by Squidp:

even if he's known to drop passes, not be as fast as people are making him out to be, and has even admitted in having mental lapses during a play?

if we draft him, i'll trust the FO, but i'll take Jordan Matthews, Odell Beckham, or Jarvis Landry before Benjamin.
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

even if he's known to drop passes, not be as fast as people are making him out to be, and has even admitted in having mental lapses during a play?

if we draft him, i'll trust the FO, but i'll take Jordan Matthews, Odell Beckham, or Jarvis Landry before Benjamin.

I'd take Matthews over Benjamin. 206 REC and 2800 yards the past two seasons is balling!
[ Edited by NC49erfan82 on Jan 17, 2014 at 10:15 AM ]
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

I'd take Matthews over Benjamin. 206 REC and 2800 yards the past two seasons is balling!

hell yea. one thing i like about Benjamin is that he's an absolute mauler as a run blocker. but as far as productivity and pure skill as a receiver, i'll take Matthews.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

hell yea. one thing i like about Benjamin is that he's an absolute mauler as a run blocker. but as far as productivity and pure skill as a receiver, i'll take Matthews.

Yep but sorry guys I know this is a KB thread so we will get it back on KB and leave it there. Don't want to high jack the thread.

I love Benjamin he is a beast I like Mike Evans (Texas A&M) a little better he has dominated in the SEC the past two years no one has been able to deal with him in one on one match ups he might be out of our reach even if we move up to draft him he might go in the top 10 or 12 picks.
As a FSU fan, I have him ranked as a 2nd rounder. He is raw and there are questions on his work ethic, not a good combo. Also, why is he a 23 yr old ( next month )
RS sophomore? Gotta question his intelligence to digest a NFL playbook IMO. That said, he's the best high pointer other than Fitzgerald that I've seen. Freakish athlete. With so many good receivers that are late first/second round talent, I'd rather go with a safer bet.
A slow guy who drops the ball and has no work ethic or smarts. Wow some serious Benjamin overrating going on here on the WZ. I expect him to be just as good as Mike Williams in the pros.
i cant believe how thick benjamin is in the legs and midsection areas...i bet he runs through alot of tackles in the nfl

After doing a quick watching of the top 10 wideouts in this coming draft I'm totally sold on Benjamin. I believe he is the best fit for what the Niners need. I know peeps on here say he's not a burner and can't blow by DB's, I agree totally valid point. But a burner isn't are greatest need. Are biggest downfall on offense (other than clock management) was RZ production. This off season RZ production will be at the very least a top 1 or 2 priority that needs to be addressed. And in the RZ it is all about match ups and being able to make a play on the ball. Benjamin presents the biggest match up problem in the RZ of anyone coming out in this draft. Think if we changed at least half of our trips in the RZ into TD's most of our games, playoffs included aren't even games, we would have been taking knees for the final 2:00min on 4 out of are 5 losses. Benjamin would add another threat to what VD, Crabs, and Boldin currently do.

BTW: @ the 2:56min in the video, I would just love to see that happen to Sherman and it not get called.
[ Edited by FastEddyD on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:53 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone