LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Early Look at 2014 Draft

49ers Trade 1st, 2nd and 3th Round Pick for Top 15 Pick

1st Round: WR Sammy Watkins Clemson 6'1" 205
A steep price, but this is really a 2 WR class with Watkins and Marquise Lee as two explosive talents. Watkins gives the 49ers their most explosive perimeter weapon since TO and immediately removes pressure from having to resign Crabtree after the 2014 season.

2nd Round: S Craig Loston LSU 6'1" 209
With Whitner a FA, SS becomes an area of need. Loston is a smart, tough, physical and athletic S and would be great to see him reuinted with Eric Ried.

3rd Round: OC Travis Swanson Arkansas 6'4" 304
Goodwin is solid but far from spectacular and is a FA after the season. I like what see from Looney as a potential replacement for Iupati, but Kilgore is just ok. Swanson is probably the best OC in the class and is a smart, gritty and well-rounded lineman.

3rd Round (Compensatory): CB Aaron Colvin Oklahoma 6'0" 184
The 49ers secondary will be vastly different next year - I anticipate it will be Culliver, Brock, Wright and Morris - and will need more depth. Colvin is a big, athletic CB that can matchup well on the outside.

4th Round: QB Derrick Carr Fresno St. 6'3" 209
A very sturdy, smart, accurate QB that can be an effective backup should something happen to Kaepernick.

5th Round: Trade for Future 4th Round Pick
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Watkins is a top 10 pick at worst. And Carr is a 1st round pick, probably top 10-15.
Is this the fantasyland draft or what?
I wouldn't be mad at a trade up for Watkins!
Someone needs to do their homework.........
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Dec 7, 2013 at 10:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Is this the fantasyland draft or what?

Maybe he was playin madden ????
in addition to what others have said....Carr in the 4th?
I think this is the bigger question. Are we at the point where we should make a Julio Jones type of trade to get the top receiver available?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think this is the bigger question. Are we at the point where we should make a Julio Jones type of trade to get the top receiver available?

Not unless you're comfortable sacrificing depth and the future for one player. Julio Jones is a very good receiver, but Atlanta, as a team, has significant weaknesses that will prevent them from winning it all. See, also, J.J. Stokes - we traded our 1st, 3rd, and 4th in 1995 and our 1st in 1996 for him. '96 was a great WR draft (we landed T. Owens in the late rounds) but what if we didn't acquire Stokes and used our first rounder in '96 on Marvin Harrison? Or Ray Lewis?
That type of trade is only worth if you want to get another Jerry Rice. I still think that the Jones-trade was dumb, given what they could do with the traded picks (defense...).

Said that, give away 1st, 2nd and even the 3rd-rounder to jump up 15 picks is way too much. Not to mention AB's object that Watkins is a top10 lock, at least...

Originally posted by midrdan:

Not unless you're comfortable sacrificing depth and the future for one player. Julio Jones is a very good receiver, but Atlanta, as a team, has significant weaknesses that will prevent them from winning it all. See, also, J.J. Stokes - we traded our 1st, 3rd, and 4th in 1995 and our 1st in 1996 for him. '96 was a great WR draft (we landed T. Owens in the late rounds) but what if we didn't acquire Stokes and used our first rounder in '96 on Marvin Harrison? Or Ray Lewis?

Yea N we kept JJ around for ever stinkin up tha place but couldnt give AJ 2 full yrz to become something...
I'll propose heresy. Trade Patrick Willis and our first rounder for Watkins.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
I'm not a draft expert, but I have to question the value of us stocking 7th round picks etc.

On past form, we get a developmental steal with a 7th rounder and then put them through waivers while we stick to vets - those steals then get picked up on the waiver wire. In short, I think we should trade a number of them with our higher round picks to let us move up as we have to. There are a number of teams like Washington, Atlanta or the Borwns who need picks for rebuilding and might have their own targets in the lower rou nds to assist that.
Share 49ersWebzone