LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 242 users in the forums

Who's gonna wind up with Teddy Bridgewater?

Who's gonna wind up with Teddy Bridgewater?

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Your right, maybe hes not really a scrambling QB, but more balanced. But even when he scrambles, he looks a bit Kaepernick'ish. With that said, if I was a team picking in the top 10, I wouldn't draft Bridgewater, I'd draft the best O-line perhaps Taylor Lewan or Jake Matthews and then take two QB's in Derek Carr and Johnny Manziel (if though I don't like his character and off-field issues) or James Franklin. But that's just me.

Houston fans might just burn Reliant Stadium down to the ground if they end up with the 1st pick and don't take Bridgewater.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
The Texans would be stupid if they didn't take Bridgewater. Keenum is at best, a very good back up but clearly not their long term solution at QB. IMO, Houston will likely be one of the fastest teams to rebuild and bounce back - that's a stacked roster and once they get a better HC, their franchise QB, and fill in some of the other few holes that they have via the draft and FA next year, I wouldn't sleep on them. Could be a tough team again.

Washington however ....

Yeah, Washington spent A LOT of capital to acquire RG3, they're a deeply flawed team now, remind me of the Falcons, gave away a ton of draft picks and have holes literally all over the roster. Could take them a few years to build back up to legit contender status. In the meantime, could they at least STOP losing games now......the way it looks, the Rams will have the 2nd or 3rd pick and 10th or 11th pick in the draft.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Houston or Minnesota.

The team that has the first pick.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Yeah, Washington spent A LOT of capital to acquire RG3, they're a deeply flawed team now, remind me of the Falcons, gave away a ton of draft picks and have holes literally all over the roster. Could take them a few years to build back up to legit contender status. In the meantime, could they at least STOP losing games now......the way it looks, the Rams will have the 2nd or 3rd pick and 10th or 11th pick in the draft.
i am not afraid of anyone, especially not of the lambs :p

as for the skins: just wait and see. perhaps rg3 will rise again, you never know. if not, they will get an.early 1st-round in 2015 and a new coaching staff.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:

as for the skins: just wait and see. perhaps rg3 will rise again, you never know. if not, they will get an.early 1st-round in 2015 and a new coaching staff.

Good point.

If I remember correctly Cam Newton was very good in his first year, not good in his second year, and very good in his third year.

Griffin could be a much better player next year. Evaluating draft picks does take time.

They're getting a new coaching staff at the end of this season. The owners will push out the anti-RG3 faction and re-fit everything around him.
[ Edited by eonblue on Dec 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Your right, maybe hes not really a scrambling QB, but more balanced. But even when he scrambles, he looks a bit Kaepernick'ish. With that said, if I was a team picking in the top 10, I wouldn't draft Bridgewater, I'd draft the best O-line perhaps Taylor Lewan or Jake Matthews and then take two QB's in Derek Carr and Johnny Manziel (if though I don't like his character and off-field issues) or James Franklin. But that's just me.

Houston fans might just burn Reliant Stadium down to the ground if they end up with the 1st pick and don't take Bridgewater.

Well I think most fans of Texas would be damn happy if they got Johnny Manziel and one the best OT in the draft, also James Franklin and/or Derek Carr to add to that. IMO.
Well I think most fans of Texas would be damn happy if they got Johnny Manziel andu one the best OT in the draft, also James Franklin and/or Derek Carr to add to that. IMO.

If they pick the top tackle they may not have a chance to pick Manziel or Carr. Both of those guys are being mocked in the 1st round. So you're targeting a guy to be your franchise QB then rolling the dice on whether or not you get to pick him. All for Jake Matthews at #1? Plus they have a young, all pro LT in Duane Brown. They've drafted 3 tackles in the last 2 years. If anything they would add Clowney to that 3-4, and let Phillips go bananas.

I do think the team will pick a QB with their 1st round. Carr, Manziel, or Bridgewater are all candidates, but the QB is all going to come down to the coach.

I think Bridgewater is the most balanced QB in this class. He does everything well but to different degrees. Personally, I think he is the most accurate QB in this class. He can do a 5 step drop or 3 step drop and hit the reciever as he's coming out of the route. He's very smooth in the pocket. He knows when to step up, where to step up, and he never gets confused on where the rush is coming from.

If you think about it all the Texans really need is accuracy. If it wasn't for that horrible string of Schaub games where the threw like 10 picks in 4 games this would be a completely different team in a completely different situation. That's the important factor here. Eliminating those turnovers. Bridgewater brings that accuracy, and give the offense something to build around.
[ Edited by eonblue on Dec 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM ]
Based upon the recent performance of the Bears, I think they let Cutler go. I feel like Texans sign Cutler, and draft Clowney. AFC favorite for Super Bowl in Houston...I think so.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by eonblue:
Well I think most fans of Texas would be damn happy if they got Johnny Manziel andu one the best OT in the draft, also James Franklin and/or Derek Carr to add to that. IMO.

If they pick the top tackle they may not have a chance to pick Manziel or Carr. Both of those guys are being mocked in the 1st round. So you're targeting a guy to be your franchise QB then rolling the dice on whether or not you get to pick him. All for Jake Matthews at #1? Plus they have a young, all pro LT in Duane Brown. They've drafted 3 tackles in the last 2 years. If anything they would add Clowney to that 3-4, and let Phillips go bananas.

I do think the team will pick a QB with their 1st round. Carr, Manziel, or Bridgewater are all candidates, but the QB is all going to come down to the coach.

I think Bridgewater is the most balanced QB in this class. He does everything well but to different degrees. Personally, I think he is the most accurate QB in this class. He can do a 5 step drop or 3 step drop and hit the reciever as he's coming out of the route. He's very smooth in the pocket. He knows when to step up, where to step up, and he never gets confused on where the rush is coming from.

If you think about it all the Texans really need is accuracy. If it wasn't for that horrible string of Schaub games where the threw like 10 picks in 4 games this would be a completely different team in a completely different situation. That's the important factor here. Eliminating those turnovers. Bridgewater brings that accuracy, and give the offense something to build around.

I will guarantee you this, Manziel will NOT be a 1st round pick, too many off-field issues and his arm is definitely not a 1st round arm, neither is his measuables. As for Carr, I'd say yes, he looks like a late 1st round pick/early 2nd, I just don't think too many teams will be picking QB's in the 1st round.

I also don't think the Texans will mess with another #1 overall QB, they could also stand to trade down and fill more holes. After all Andre Johnson is pretty up there in age and Sammy Watkins would be a solid complement to Johnson and replacement. Like I said this is just my opinion and anything can change as the season isn't quite over yet, Washington could very well get the number one overall pick.

I will guarantee you this, Manziel will NOT be a 1st round pick, too many off-field issues and his arm is definitely not a 1st round arm, neither is his measuables. As for Carr, I'd say yes, he looks like a late 1st round pick/early 2nd, I just don't think too many teams will be picking QB's in the 1st round.

I also don't think the Texans will mess with another #1 overall QB, they could also stand to trade down and fill more holes. After all Andre Johnson is pretty up there in age and Sammy Watkins would be a solid complement to Johnson and replacement. Like I said this is just my opinion and anything can change as the season isn't quite over yet, Washington could very well get the number one overall pick.

That means the Rams would get the #1 pick.........that would suck.
I'll be pissed if the Rams get the #1 overall and turn it into another huge haul of draft picks.
Originally posted by buck:
Good point.

If I remember correctly Cam Newton was very good in his first year, not good in his second year, and very good in his third year.

Griffin could be a much better player next year. Evaluating draft picks does take time.
Correct Sir. When I was writing this post, I had Newton and Kap on my mind.

I mean, RG3's rookie season was not a fluke, imo. Perhaps it was slightly above his recent ceiling but if you play like he was playing last year almost the entire season, with mediocre receiving talent, you can't be that bad as he is right now.

Teams who indeed could go for a QB in the first round:
1)Browns; obvious imo. Hoyer wasn't bad but I don't think that they would risk to avoid this problem especially when they possess two 1st-rounders and not SO many holes in the team.

2)Titans; not so obvious but a)new regimes mean usually new QBs and 2)Locker seems to be injury-prone and his play was so-so. Though, I think that whoever is the HC next year, he would try it out with Locker for a year.

3)Jags; any questions about that?

4)Texans; almost the same as with the Titans. new regime, Schaub is done there, Keenum was solid but not more, imo. Additionally, I dont think that they will trade down. Clowney would be a quality addition. They can afford this pick b/c they are stacked at most positions. If they trade down, then only one pick, IF they are interested in Clowney. Too much risk that another team would jump in front of them, imo.

5)Chiefs; not their biggest need now and could become a small one if AS plays good ball in the POs. If he doesnt, then he clearly is a high quality stop-gap whereas another Kap will groom behind him for 1-2 years. Unprobable but I wouldn't rule it out.

6)Raiders; unprobable as well b/c Pryor and McGroin showed some signs of quality but you never know.

7)Vikings; very probable. They need a new franchise QB badly. Ponder is done, especially when Frazier is gone.

8)Cardinals; almost the same situation like with the Chiefs.

9)Rams; very unprobable but given Bradford's contract situation they could think about that.

Have to admit that I predicted an overrun on QBs this year and I failed big-time. ;)
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Teams who indeed could go for a QB in the first round:
1)Browns; obvious imo. Hoyer wasn't bad but I don't think that they would risk to avoid this problem especially when they possess two 1st-rounders and not SO many holes in the team.

2)Titans; not so obvious but a)new regimes mean usually new QBs and 2)Locker seems to be injury-prone and his play was so-so. Though, I think that whoever is the HC next year, he would try it out with Locker for a year.

3)Jags; any questions about that?

4)Texans; almost the same as with the Titans. new regime, Schaub is done there, Keenum was solid but not more, imo. Additionally, I dont think that they will trade down. Clowney would be a quality addition. They can afford this pick b/c they are stacked at most positions. If they trade down, then only one pick, IF they are interested in Clowney. Too much risk that another team would jump in front of them, imo.

5)Chiefs; not their biggest need now and could become a small one if AS plays good ball in the POs. If he doesnt, then he clearly is a high quality stop-gap whereas another Kap will groom behind him for 1-2 years. Unprobable but I wouldn't rule it out.

6)Raiders; unprobable as well b/c Pryor and McGroin showed some signs of quality but you never know.

7)Vikings; very probable. They need a new franchise QB badly. Ponder is done, especially when Frazier is gone.

8)Cardinals; almost the same situation like with the Chiefs.

9)Rams; very unprobable but given Bradford's contract situation they could think about that.

Have to admit that I predicted an overrun on QBs this year and I failed big-time. ;)

All the teams mentioned except for the Jags, Browns and Texans I could see going for a QB in the 1st, especially Jags and Browns. I could see the Texans pulling a 2011 49ers move and give Case Keenum a chance till he faulters and draft a QB in the 2nd round. And if Brett Hundley declares, even more can I see the Texans trading down. Imagine having Sammy Watkins AND Zach Mettenberger, AJ McCarron, Tahj Boyd or David Carr. I mean anything can happen in the draft nothing is certain, I just expect the Texans to get creative or more active this time in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone