LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Redshirt sophomore players who might declare

Question is what players are RS sophomores who might declare early for the draft..?
I'm hoping for either devante Adams or jalen strong to and we draft 1 of them..
I like Davante Adams too. One of my favorite WR prospect. Big fast reminds me of Dez Bryant/Josh Gordon

[ Edited by kronik on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:31 PM ]
I think Adams might be more likely to bounce than Strong due to the change in QB.
How can a RS sophomores come out now ??? Thought i heard or read somewhere they have to have at least 3yrs in college ??? Dont beat me up to bad dont know how all that stuff workz...
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
How can a RS sophomores come out now ??? Thought i heard or read somewhere they have to have at least 3yrs in college ??? Dont beat me up to bad dont know how all that stuff workz...

A redshirt = 1 year
Sophomore = 2 year

Therefore a RS sophomore = 3 years

The NCAA has rule that says athletes can set out their first year of a competitive sport without it counting against their scholarship eligibility. This allows high school students to take advantage of the strength and conditioning programs and perfect the technique they'll need to be successful in their sport. It also gives them time to adjust to college without the stress of competing. Any athlete that chooses to set out his 1st year is deemed a red shirt. This red shirt is broken the moment you enter a game. If a red shirt is broken that year counts against your eligibility. Football players have 4 years of eligibility but the red shirt allows them to stretch it out for another year essentially spending 5 years under an athletic scholarship. Hope I got that right anyone can feel free to set me straight otherwise.
[ Edited by eonblue on Dec 2, 2013 at 11:15 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

A redshirt = 1 year
Sophomore = 2 year

Therefore a RS sophomore = 3 years

The NCAA has rule that says athletes can set out their first year of a competitive sport without it counting against their scholarship eligibility. This allows high school students to take advantage of the strength and conditioning programs and perfect the technique they'll need to be successful in their sport. It also gives them time to adjust to college without the stress of competing. Any athlete that chooses to set out his 1st year is deemed a red shirt. This red shirt is broken the moment you enter a game. If a red shirt is broken that year counts against your eligibility. Football players have 4 years of eligibility but the red shirt allows them to stretch it out for another year essentially spending 5 years under an athletic scholarship. Hope I got that right anyone can feel free to set me straight otherwise.
This seems correct to me. Crabtree was a RS Sophomore when he came out. There are also cases where a player starts the year playing and gets a season-ending injury early in the season and is then granted a RS year. (In rare cases a player may be provided with a 6th year of eligibility for a medical RS.) That is the only situation where someone can play during a season and still have it counted as a RS year.
Share 49ersWebzone