LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

MBA's Mock draft ver 1.0

Time to take my first shot after rivalry weekend. This draft is based on the current NFL Draft Scout rankings and NO trades.

Round 1 Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan St 5'11" 197 lbs - one of the top 10 defenders in the NCAA this year and a position of need
Round 2a Aaron Donald DT Pitt 6'0" 285 lbs - most disruptive DL in NCAA this year; add depth to our front 7
Round 2b Odell Beckham Jr. WR LSU 5'11" 193 lbs - WR help with return ability as a bonus
Round 3a Tyler Larsen C Utah State 6'4" 312 lbs - new pivot for our offensive line
Round 3b Donte Moncrief WR 6'2" 226 lbs - big bodied WR to complete our WR corps
Round 3c Craig Loston SS LSU 6'1" 209 lbs - Insurance policy or replacement for Whitner; pair him with his former teammate (Comp pick)
Round 4 D'Anthony Thomas RB/WR Oregon 5'9" 170 lbs - our version of Tavon Austin
Round 5 David Fales QB SJSU 6'2" 220 lbs - our 3rd QB which is sorely needed
Round 6 Ricardo Allen CB Purdue 5'9" 186 lbs - plays bigger than he looks with a feisty attitude; 4 yr starter
Round 7 Spencer Long OG Nebraska 6'4" 315 lbs - Baalke injury special; depth for interior line
Round 7a Shaq Evans WR UCLA 6'1" 204 lbs - Flyer pick at WR
Round 7b Trey Millard FB Oklahoma 6'2" 253 lbs - Swiss Army Knife FB, Blocker, TE; another Baalke injury special
Round 7c Ben Gardner DT Stanford 6'4" 277 lbs - 3-4 DE

Free agency needs Swing OT
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Dec 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM ]
love the dennard pick..rather take a wr with our 1st 2nd rd pick..its more of a need the dt..give me allen robinson or devante adams or jalen strong..tho 2 out of those 3 will most likely stay in school...ummm im almost garenteeing that loston and Thomas will not be around in the 3rd and 4th rd..if so that would be very surprising..loston maybe with our titans pick..i say we go cb,wr,ss,ol,..also im all for keeping whitner ..him and reid are playing amazing together..
Good mock m_brock. Only few gripes. Not sure we need a DT so early. I agree with Jersey49er, rather get a Allen Robinson(If available), or DaVante Adams(If he declares). And don't see a huge need for a RB/WR, I like Thomas, but idk about Oregon slash players, seems LMJ hasn't really worked out great for us so far.

Other than that, I love the Dennard, Beckham, Larsen, Moncrief, Loston, Fales, Allen, and Long picks. Millard would be cool in late 7th. Gardner would be a steal in the late 7th.
I like Aaron Donald a lot as a player, but I'm not sure how great of a fit he would be in our Defense. He would make a great interior pass-rusher in the Geno Atkins mold thoigh.

Also Moncrief and Loston might be a bit of a stretch at the end of the 3rd round imo.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Good mock m_brock. Only few gripes. Not sure we need a DT so early. I agree with Jersey49er, rather get a Allen Robinson(If available), or DaVante Adams(If he declares). And don't see a huge need for a RB/WR, I like Thomas, but idk about Oregon slash players, seems LMJ hasn't really worked out great for us so far.

Other than that, I love the Dennard, Beckham, Larsen, Moncrief, Loston, Fales, Allen, and Long picks. Millard would be cool in late 7th. Gardner would be a steal in the late 7th.

Thanks for the feedback. If I went with the WR earlier, Robinson instead of Moncrief would be the call and the I would make D. Easley DT Florida my pick in the 3rd round. I still think we could use one more d lineman The slash player idea is based on adding some much needed speed to our offense.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Thanks for the feedback. If I went with the WR earlier, Robinson instead of Moncrief would be the call and the I would make D. Easley DT Florida my pick in the 3rd round. I still think we could use one more d lineman The slash player idea is based on adding some much needed speed to our offense.

I don't think we need another Dlinemen. We have Dial and Tank waiting to get snaps on top of Williams, TJE, and Dobbs. Adding another one would just about max the roster out.
Donald is small for an interior lineman, he'll get pushed around. De'Anthony Thomas may not last till the 4th.
Good mock draft, like the talent but a lot of these picks are highly optimistic. Moncrief in the late 3rd, Loston in the late 3rd, Allen in the 6th, Evans in the 7th, don't see those guys being there at all.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
I don't think we need another Dlinemen. We have Dial and Tank waiting to get snaps on top of Williams, TJE, and Dobbs. Adding another one would just about max the roster out.

Right now we have Smith, McDonald, Dorsey, Williams, Dobbs, Carrandine, Dial, Jerod-Eddy, and Lawrence Okoye on the roster. Now in view of developing our practice squad we could add another Defensive lineman and if Baalke thinks that would be good we will press forward. In my opinion we are weakest at swing tackle, WR, Safety, center, and CB. It will be interesting to see how Baalke sees our needs and how the draft unfolds.

I suspect we will see a lot of WRs and CBs and yet at the same time we have Baldwin, Boldin, Crabtree, Manningham, Carswell, Osgood, and Patton on the roster as of today. But we still need speed, hands, and a willingness to layout for receptions. With that in mind I think Crabtree, Boldin, Patton are the only solid WRs that make the transition. So we need 2-4 WRs to go through training camp to give us the best options.

Then on CB we have Culliver, Brock, D. Morris, Spillman, Wright who will make it through the transition. Rogers, Brown are questionable due to salary and free agency. So we will need 2-4 DBs to fill in our needs. Then the backups for Whitner, and Reid will be very important as well. So backfield will take a number of picks this year to keep us safe and effective.

So we will have lots of energy focused on WR and Backfield. Then with a swing tackle and a center we will need most of our picks and get good picks.
I do like your draft m_brock, especially the Dennard and Beckham picks. I'm also glad you snagged the center from Utah State, very underrated in my mind, but that rushing attack is very underrated and I think it's their OL play more than RB talent.

Only have three minor issues:

1. As much as I love Beckham pick, I don't think he'll last to the late 2nd round. May have to trade up to early 2nd round to get him.

2. Donald is EXTREMELY talented, and it's always better to pick BPA, especially on a DL with an aged vet (Smith), recovering injured DL (MacDonald, Williams), FA DL (Dobbs), and unproven commodities (Carradine, Dial, Jerrod-Eddie), but I think we can get great DL talent later in draft. I wouldn't be mad if we made this pick, especially with the two SB rings the Giants got off of that great DL rotation (no way in hell they get past the WC round without that rotation).

3. Not a big fan of Thomas. As previously mentioned, we have James already and I'd rather have the same guy who knows our system rather than take a guy with the same talent/size who will take time to adjust. I know I'm nitpicking with a 4th rounder, but that 4th may be essential for moving up this draft to get a great WR/CB or allow us to gain a 3rd rounder in next years draft.

Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I like Aaron Donald a lot as a player, but I'm not sure how great of a fit he would be in our Defense. He would make a great interior pass-rusher in the Geno Atkins mold thoigh.

Also Moncrief and Loston might be a bit of a stretch at the end of the 3rd round imo.

I agree with you on Aaron Donald. I don't think he fits our D. (but I did say the same thing when we first signed Justin Smith!)
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

I agree with you on Aaron Donald. I don't think he fits our D. (but I did say the same thing when we first signed Justin Smith!)

I would have put Dominique Easely DT from Florida as the pick here, but I wanted to save my Baalke injury special picks for the later rounds.
Too many smalls, Harbaalke like to go big (except LMJ who hardly plays). Also since we don't need 13 bodies, maybe the draft focus should be on trading up to get more impact players like Reid.
Originally posted by rapid4:
Too many smalls, Harbaalke like to go big (except LMJ who hardly plays). Also since we don't need 13 bodies, maybe the draft focus should be on trading up to get more impact players like Reid.

You are right about Baalke's preference for bigger players, but the one thing that is missing from the Niners offense is speed. Until the Combine and Pro Day workouts, we won't know which prospects have both size and speed. Until then, I choose speed.

On defense, here is an update on why I would take Aaron Donald:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24373073/aaron-donald-wins-the-lombardi-award
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Dec 12, 2013 at 7:17 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone