LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 443 users in the forums

2014 OL draft class.

So I look at it this way. We should draft 2 dynamic interior linemen. Linemen that can play multiple positions therefore provide stability when injuries happen to the starter or contracts expire. The entire interior line has been atrocious in pass protection anyway. I don't think we can enter next season without depth and competition. Here's a list of guys I would consider.

Cyril Richardson G/T Baylor - Versatile, strong, and nasty. His footwork needs conditioning but his upper body technique is incredible. He locks on and throws around 300 pd men like ragdolls.

Gabe Jackson G Miss St. - My most favorite guard. His footwork is ballerina like. Perfect shuffle. He has very long arms and great strength to latch on. Explosive in the run block. Hes flying under the radar in that people are not mocking him high but he's going to go in the top 2 rounds.

David Yankey G/T Stanford - This guy is basically Iupati lite. You see little trails of Harbaugh every time this guy pulls. He's incredibly good at it too. Very nimble for a big man. I wonder about his pass protection. He can get a good block going but he does have tendency to let the DL rip off him. I think this can be worked on though.

La'el Collins G/T LSU - He played tackle at LSU but I think he would be a great fit at guard and he played it last year for LSU. This guy has that basketball type athleticism and he's extremely explosive at run blocking. He has trouble protecting the edge but I think his athleticim combined with his strength will make him a better fit blocking the slower but stronger DTs inside.

Hronis Grassu C Oregon - Yet again another incredibly athletic olinemen. He needs to work on his strength and conditioning so he's very much a project pick. Idk if this would be the right pick considering Goodwin is half way out the door and we may need someone who can fill in right away. This guy really doesnt have the strength to spar with the interior bigs at the moment. With that said Grassu would provide us with a center that is agile enough to double block then peel off to get the second level. He also is an incredibly gifted puller which is a trait I would love our center to have.

Travis Swanson C Arkansas - so that guy that can start day one well here he is.

Its unfortunate. Swanson appears to lack the speed to get around the corner on the pull but hes one the best pass protectors in the nation at any position on the line. He wouldn't give us the agile puller that Grasu is but he could start day one.

In the end maybe Kilgore and Looney are the answer. Will see come draft time how confidant Harbaugh is in the meantime this had become my most favorite position to scout and I hope we pick up one of these guys.
This all depends on what happens to Iupati. If they franchise jim or extend him long term, most of these options go out the window especially the guards. If the Niners don't resign him, I would love to replace him with Yankey or Jackson.

A new center is a must so Swanson or Larsen from Utah St. have to be on the Niners radar.
Don't count Kilgore out just yet.
Where's Tyler Larsen? I think he's a much better fit than Grasu who is basically built for a zone blocking system. Pretty much anyone from Oregon is an ill-fit for this offense realistically. Not sure why people are so caught up on Grasu or if it's a Pac 12 thing, because I see a guy who doesn't fit this offense very well at all.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 1, 2013 at 1:09 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Where's Tyler Larsen? I think he's a much better fit than Grasu who is basically built for a zone blocking system. Pretty much anyone from Oregon is an ill-fit for this offense realistically. Not sure why people are so caught up on Grasu or if it's a Pac 12 thing, because I see a guy who doesn't fit this offense very well at all.

Agreed..If he and Oregon routinely get manhandled by bigger physical teams, how the hell is he gonna do anything with Seattle, Carolina, Rams ???
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Don't count Kilgore out just yet.

We been waiting for how many years now??? Can't even beat out scrubs Snyder and Looney lol
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Agreed..If he and Oregon routinely get manhandled by bigger physical teams, how the hell is he gonna do anything with Seattle, Carolina, Rams ???

That's the other issue, dude had his s**t pushed in against Stanford's physical DL two times in a row, just don't see him fitting here with the 49ers.
That's the other issue, dude had his s**t pushed in against Stanford's physical DL two times in a row, just don't see him fitting here with the 49ers.

He's going to need NFL coaches. I distinctly called him a project and for that reason said he may not be a good fit considering the fact we may need an immediate fill in. Grassu intrigues me as a prospect because he brings a high level of athleticism to the center position. He's an excellent puller, trapper, and can peel off to get to the second level very well. He may not be the immediate answer but then again it appears like the staff is willing to invest in projects on the Oline.

I haven't watch any tape on Larsen so I'm in the dark. The name has popped up though. I'll have to check him out. I would prefer a more athletic Swanson if that guy is out there.
Originally posted by eonblue:
He's going to need NFL coaches. I distinctly called him a project and for that reason said he may not be a good fit considering the fact we may need an immediate fill in. Grassu intrigues me as a prospect because he brings a high level of athleticism to the center position. He's an excellent puller, trapper, and can peel off to get to the second level very well. He may not be the immediate answer but then again it appears like the staff is willing to invest in projects on the Oline.

I haven't watch any tape on Larsen so I'm in the dark. The name has popped up though. I'll have to check him out. I would prefer a more athletic Swanson if that guy is out there.

I think you're overrating the athleticism aspect, especially for this system. Grasu needs to go to a team like Washington or Indy where his strengths will be maximized and his weaknesses minimized. He got devoured on the line against Stanford, so rather than another project that they hope pans out, I'd like to see a guy who is ready to compete and has the size and strength to be a contributor early on.
I think you're overrating the athleticism aspect, especially for this system. Grasu needs to go to a team like Washington or Indy where his strengths will be maximized and his weaknesses minimized. He got devoured on the line against Stanford, so rather than another project that they hope pans out, I'd like to see a guy who is ready to compete and has the size and strength to be a contributor early on.

I can agree with the last part. I'm not overrating his athleticism because I'm not rating it all. At the moment we don't have an athletic center. We may not need one but I find the idea of center that do all the things an athletic center can do enticing. Maybe Swansons youth will allow him to do some of the moves Goodwin couldn't even think of. Maybe our system wont ever call for it. This oline has been top 5 in the league so I enter Grassu as a prospect because he gives the coaches a very athletic center to work with when they have never had one. It would expand their run plays and make them more dynamic. You cant argue that.

I can agree with the last part. I'm not overrating his athleticism because I'm not rating it all. At the moment we don't have an athletic center. We may not need one but I find the idea of center that do all the things an athletic center can do enticing. Maybe Swansons youth will allow him to do some of the moves Goodwin couldn't even think of. Maybe our system wont ever call for it. This oline has been top 5 in the league so I enter Grassu as a prospect because he gives the coaches a very athletic center to work with when they have never had one. It would expand their run plays and make them more dynamic. You cant argue that.

You can, and I don't disagree with it, I've just never been a fan of Grasu because he sticks out like a sore thumb to me in terms of how I think he would fit this system. Not that it couldn't work but that it wouldn't be ideal. Also, if you go back through the last 2 Stanford games..........well, the image below says it all.

Watch Larsen if you can, he also would need to be developed but he's 6'4", 315, good natural strength, good mobility, seems very ideal for a man blocking scheme.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM ]
You can, and I don't disagree with it, I've just never been a fan of Grasu because he sticks out like a sore thumb to me in terms of how I think he would fit this system. Not that it couldn't work but that it wouldn't be ideal. Also, if you go back through the last 2 Stanford games..........well, the image below says it all.

Watch Larsen if you can, he also would need to be developed but he's 6'4", 315, good natural strength, good mobility, seems very ideal for a man blocking scheme.

I havent watched Grassu tape from the Stanford game but the picture gives me a pretty good idea. That Dline is tough though, man. I'm not making excuses just stating a fact. You may be right because ultimately he's going to be play much tougher competition in the NFL so man blocking might not be his cup o' tea.

That's what I love about Swanson. He has pro-level technique blocking the A gaps. Watch that Bama game. He's man on the NT, covering both A gaps, combo blocking, peeling to the 2nd level, and there's even a pull that he muffs up because he too slow to get to the edge. I think he's really going to impress at the Sr Bowl.
I havent watched Grassu tape from the Stanford game but the picture gives me a pretty good idea. That Dline is tough though, man. I'm not making excuses just stating a fact. You may be right because ultimately he's going to be play much tougher competition in the NFL so man blocking might not be his cup o' tea.

That's what I love about Swanson. He has pro-level technique blocking the A gaps. Watch that Bama game. He's man on the NT, covering both A gaps, combo blocking, peeling to the 2nd level, and there's even a pull that he muffs up because he too slow to get to the edge. I think he's really going to impress at the Sr Bowl.

The problem with Swanson is I think he'll go too early. I think Larsen can be had in the 3rd round which would be very good value. Schwenke from Cal would have been an outstanding pickup in the previous draft, he's looked very good when healthy for Tennessee. This draft in general seems to be rather weak as far as center's are concerned.

I think if you want Swanson, it will take at minimum a mid 2nd rounder although any injury or issues in the offseason could drop him, but from where I'm standing, unless the 49ers are willing to use a 1st round pick on him or trade up in the 2nd to acquire him, I don't see it happening.

As far as OL's go, there's a variety of latter round prospects I'm interested in. Long is certainly one of them, he'll be a steal for anyone who acquires him, it would be insane draft value to acquire him anytime after the 4th round. Legit NFL starting quality guard prospect. I would love for the 49ers to take a flyer on him later in the draft.

Beyond that, I like Larsen a lot, he's been all-everything while at Utah State, a leader, a very smart guy who does well as both a pass and run blocker, I'm obviously a huge proponent of the 49ers drafting him.

I do like Yankey at guard, he's another one I worry might be gone early and I see guard more as a periphery need. If Kilgore can't handle center, then that becomes the priority and Kilgore and Looney can fight it out to see who sticks as a potential replacement for Iupati should he not be re-signed with an obvious latter round addition.

Cyril Richardson by far is the best fit for this offense, very aggressive run blocker, plays with a chip on his shoulder, blocks through the whistle, he'd be the ideal replacement for Iupati should they have to go with that but once again, dude's going early it seems.

Gabe Jackson is another who fits well, he gets to the second level well, plays aggressively, top-notch run blocker and a solid pass blocker also.

Kadeem Edwards is an interesting latter round prospect from Tennessee State, small school guy with pro-level size and a very good NFL quality run blocker, not the most agile guy but he generates a lot of push, decent balance, not very flexible though.

Zach Fulton of Tennessee is another interesting prospect with terrific size, a good run-blocking guard that can keeps fighting through the whistle, has quietly had a very solid career at Tennessee, he'd be worth a look late in the draft.

Ultra small school UDFA special......Jamal Ellis out of Newberry College. Feisty, well built at 6'4", 320, first heard of him last year, haven't seen much of him but from what I've seen, he badly needs to be coached up but seems to have all the tools, the natural strength and the demeanor to be at least a quality NFL backup at guard.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM ]
Amazing to me that NFL Draft Scout has only 33 draft able prospects rated combined for both C and OG's. The Niners will need a new C at the least and maybe a new starting G if Iupati gets away. I would love to see Yankey in Scarlet and Gold, but he won't be around for the second round. Swanson or Larsen at C will not be around past the 2nd round most likely. Maybe the Niners are going to take the same approach as the SF Giants front office. Even though the offensive line is their biggest strength, just like the Giants pitching staff, they may choose to add these type of guys and wait on their other areas of need. They have the picks to do this, but will they go for the WR's and CB's first? Something to ponder for the rest of the season and into the post season.
One of our 2nd or 3rds will be spent on a C that will start day one.
Share 49ersWebzone