There are 207 users in the forums

2014 needs changed?

We need a consultant in the passing game. Roman's strategy is to send everyone deep all day. All the good passing attacks in the league utilize quick-strike plays. Slants, crossing routes, picks, bunch formations... That's what we need.
Originally posted by strickac:
We need a consultant in the passing game. Roman's strategy is to send everyone deep all day. All the good passing attacks in the league utilize quick-strike plays. Slants, crossing routes, picks, bunch formations... That's what we need.

We've done all that at some point this season. Not many bunches lately, or picks, but plenty slants and out routes. Those are quick strike plays.

I think we need to consider drafting a center, guard, scatback, and 6'0 speedy route runner.
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 30, 2013 at 5:34 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
We've done all that at some point this season. Not many bunches lately, or picks, but plenty slants and out routes. Those are quick strike plays.

I think we need to consider drafting a center, guard, scatback, and 6'0 speedy route runner.

A scatback would help, but why not LMJ? We're not a screen team. Kaepernick had success last week getting the ball out quickly. When he struggles, pay attention to the routes the WRs are running. Too often they all go deep/verticals.

Agree with this

This + a new WR coach.
Looking at CBS and other sites ranking of prospects it could come down to something like:

1st: Safety (Clinton-Dix listed at 21 at CBS)
2nd: WR (Richardson, Cooks, Landry all listed late 2nd)
2nd: CB (Gilbert, Purifoy, Dennard all listed late 2nd)
3rd: C (Grasu, Larsen both late 3rd)
3rd: QB (McCarren, Murray,Garoppolo mid to late 3rd)
3rd: OT (Hurst, Hickey late 3rd)
4th: DB (Brooks-FS, Boston-FS, Jean-Baptiste-CB, Exum-CB 4th)
5th: WR (Green, Reese, Grant, Hoffman all projected 5th)

Looking over the lists of prospects on various sites it seems they could really be in the right place for the right position. The alternative is trading up in the first for a WR/DB in the top 20 and/or trading up in the second for their WR depending on a run in that area. Fun to think of reloading with so many picks! Of course, who knows how many underclassmen will enter the draft and change these lists...and it's a bit early to take the lists seriously...but I'm already getting excited for this draft!
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
WR x2
CB
SS
NT
C
OT
OG
DE

DE- Justin Smith and Ray McDonald, starters for 2014/2015. Tank Carradine and Tony Jerod Ellie back ups.
Looking at team depth it appears there are few holes. I've added in the injured players who will be available next year as it impacts draft need. Likely starters next year in bold.

Defense
LDT: Ray McDonald, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Tank Carradine
NT: Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey, Quinton Dial
RDT: Justin Smith, Demarcus Dobbs
OLB: Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier
ILB: NaVorro Bowman, Nick Moody
ILB: Patrick Willis, Michael Wilhoite, Darius Flemming
OLB: Aldon Smith, Dan Skuta
CB: Carlos Rogers, Tramaine Brock, Darryl Morris
CB: Tarell Brown, Eric Wright, Culliver
FS: Eric Reid, C.J. Spillman
SS: Donte Whitner, Craig Dahl, Bubba Ventrone

Offense
QB: Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy
FB: Bruce Miller, Anthony Dixon
RB: Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon, Lattimore
WR1: Anquan Boldin, Jon Baldwin, Quinton Patton
WR2: Mario Manningham, Michael Crabtree, Kassim Osgood
TE: Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek, Derek Carrier
LT: Joe Staley
LG :Mike Iupati, Joe Looney
C: Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore
RG: Alex Boone, Adam Snyder
RT: Anthony Davis

Unsettled starting positions:
NT--Did Ian play well enough to continue starting?
CB--Who will return? Upgrade with youth? Hope Culliver, Wright & Morris can take over.
SS--Dahl & Ventrone seem OK backups but...will Whitner resign?
WR--Will Boldin and Crabtree start? Will they draft a starter? Patton or Manningham?

Unsettled Backups:
G: Is Looney a potential starter?
C: Kilgore?
T: Snyder? Marquardt?
QB: McCoy? Really?
FS: Spillman seems an OK fill-in but if he had to play a year?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM ]
Another; Pass Rusher/Corner/WR/DT-NT-DE/WR/CB-FS
I had been screaming for a NT and FB the last few drafts, but I think Dorsey and Williams have it handled, with TJE and Dial able to play there too.. Im thinking draft a C-G, get a swing tackle in FA//trade (J. Martin??). I'd then draft a WR/KR/PR type speed WR (Boldin, Crabbtree, Baldwin, and Rook should work here, we would need a 5th guy who is a playmaker and a return guy (LMJ makes me nervous, Ginn was the best we ever had at the position). Draft a CB and SS. (Reid seems too fragile to play SS, so leave him back deep). NO MORE RB'S PLEEEEEEZ!!
SO:
C/G- Looney hasn't done s**te since he came here. Quality depth needed here.
CB- Cully, Brock, can step in at CB, Wright can help too. Draft a CB high here to complete the position long term fix.
SS- Easy to get a starter type in 3rd rd., sit behind Whitner 1 yr. then bam!
WR- Explosive guy who can also KR/PR/ST.

I had been screaming for a NT and FB the last few drafts, but I think Dorsey and Williams have it handled, with TJE and Dial able to play there too.. Im thinking draft a C-G, get a swing tackle in FA//trade (J. Martin??). I'd then draft a WR/KR/PR type speed WR (Boldin, Crabbtree, Baldwin, and Rook should work here, we would need a 5th guy who is a playmaker and a return guy (LMJ makes me nervous, Ginn was the best we ever had at the position). Draft a CB and SS. (Reid seems too fragile to play SS, so leave him back deep). NO MORE RB'S PLEEEEEEZ!!
SO:
C/G- Looney hasn't done s**te since he came here. Quality depth needed here.
CB- Cully, Brock, can step in at CB, Wright can help too. Draft a CB high here to complete the position long term fix.
SS- Easy to get a starter type in 3rd rd., sit behind Whitner 1 yr. then bam!
WR- Explosive guy who can also KR/PR/ST.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Looking at CBS and other sites ranking of prospects it could come down to something like:

1st: Safety (Clinton-Dix listed at 21 at CBS)
2nd: WR (Richardson, Cooks, Landry all listed late 2nd)
2nd: CB (Gilbert, Purifoy, Dennard all listed late 2nd)
3rd: C (Grasu, Larsen both late 3rd)
3rd: QB (McCarren, Murray,Garoppolo mid to late 3rd)
3rd: OT (Hurst, Hickey late 3rd)
4th: DB (Brooks-FS, Boston-FS, Jean-Baptiste-CB, Exum-CB 4th)
5th: WR (Green, Reese, Grant, Hoffman all projected 5th)

Looking over the lists of prospects on various sites it seems they could really be in the right place for the right position. The alternative is trading up in the first for a WR/DB in the top 20 and/or trading up in the second for their WR depending on a run in that area. Fun to think of reloading with so many picks! Of course, who knows how many underclassmen will enter the draft and change these lists...and it's a bit early to take the lists seriously...but I'm already getting excited for this draft!

Wouldn't be to mad if this happened, good draft that's highly possible.
i think there are a couple of places where it would really tough for anyone drafted next year to even make the active squad.

dl - cowboy, williams, ray mac, dorsey, dial, tank, dobbs

lb - smith, bowman, willis, brooks, wilhoite, lemonier, skuta, moody
Share 49ersWebzone