There are 149 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Phoenix49ers Updated Mock Draft-Thanksgiving Edition

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
I might go with both Moncrief and Odell Beckham. If the FO thinks Watkins is the man, then trade up whatever is needed, even present starters.

A team that rarely runs 3 WR sets doesn't need two high picks at WR. Not with Crabtree, Boldin, Patton already there. Not with many other pressing needs as well. What the 49ers need most is better coaching at the WR position. If they can acquire 1 WR early and then add another guy with potential in the middle-later rounds, that will be sufficient if they have the proper coaching.

I rarely disagree with you P but the only WRs we have under contract are Patton, Crabtree, and Baldwin. It isn't a lock that Boldin or Mario come back and it isn't even a lock that Patton is going to be anything yet. Baldwin may not even make it to training camp if he doesn't show something to the coaches and Baalke.

We almost have to sign or draft 2 WRs this year, maybe a veteran and 2nd or 3rd rounder but I would be much more secure with our WRs if we grabbed Beckham, Moncrief, or somebody fairly early and got another developmental pick later.
If Moncrief enters the draft, he immediately becomes a must-add player on the 49ers list for me. The body control he possesses is something I have not seen in a long time. I hesitate to say it's Jerry Rice-like, but that's one characteristic that really jumps out at me. ... That is, on top of breakaway, deep speed and big-time NFL size.

Would not be surprised to see the kid fly up the boards into the 1st round with a good combine if he enters.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If Moncrief enters the draft, he immediately becomes a must-add player on the 49ers list for me. The body control he possesses is something I have not seen in a long time. I hesitate to say it's Jerry Rice-like, but that's one characteristic that really jumps out at me. ... That is, on top of breakaway, deep speed and big-time NFL size.

Would not be surprised to see the kid fly up the boards into the 1st round with a good combine if he enters.

This is my only issue with the OP's mock, I'm not sure Moncrief becomes available with our second pick. If the guy is really that talented then all the other teams will most certainly recognize this. If you think he's potential stud but guaranteed starter, those are 1st round picks. We may also need more of an H-Back type as well because Roman doesn't seem to like to call plays to maximize the abilities a guy like MacDonald brings.

What I agree with is the need to bring someone in who can put pressure on opposing secondaries in ways the current group can't. It would also benefit us by giving some leverage on Crabtree's extension. If I'm Michael right now, I'm holding out for big bucks after seeing the gong show at WR while I'm out.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Nov 29, 2013 at 9:28 AM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
I might go with both Moncrief and Odell Beckham. If the FO thinks Watkins is the man, then trade up whatever is needed, even present starters.

A team that rarely runs 3 WR sets doesn't need two high picks at WR. Not with Crabtree, Boldin, Patton already there. Not with many other pressing needs as well. What the 49ers need most is better coaching at the WR position. If they can acquire 1 WR early and then add another guy with potential in the middle-later rounds, that will be sufficient if they have the proper coaching.

I rarely disagree with you P but the only WRs we have under contract are Patton, Crabtree, and Baldwin. It isn't a lock that Boldin or Mario come back and it isn't even a lock that Patton is going to be anything yet. Baldwin may not even make it to training camp if he doesn't show something to the coaches and Baalke.

We almost have to sign or draft 2 WRs this year, maybe a veteran and 2nd or 3rd rounder but I would be much more secure with our WRs if we grabbed Beckham, Moncrief, or somebody fairly early and got another developmental pick later.

I wouldn't be against adding two high picks at WR, but I see Phoenix's point. I don't think you could go wrong either way, but the way our FO typically functions, I expect us to try to keep Boldin (whether or not that will be successful, we don't know), and then let Manningham go and have Patton assume his role(s) in the slot while drafting additional depth and perhaps even given Chuck Jacobs a chance.

2014 Potential Line-Up:

Starting: Crabtree / Boldin
Slot: Patton
Depth: Baldwin/Chuck Jacobs/Star rookie to eventually take Boldin's spot as starter or in the slot if Patton plays well sooner.

1. Crabtree
2. Boldin
3. Patton
4. Rookie
5. Chuck Jacobs/Jon Baldwin

I also expect us to find another "tweener" player that will make a position change to TE as a project to eventually have the Delanie Walker role. We, unfortunately could not keep Marquise Gray this past off-season.
6. ST's Player