There are 227 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Phoenix49ers Updated Mock Draft-Thanksgiving Edition

Sexy draft. Well done.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jersey49er:
like it a lot..i agree with u about dennard and also agree gilbert is my next best corner..im ok with moncrief tho id rather jalen strong from asu ..you filled all the needs love the archer pick..another Id like 2 switch is instead of ricardo allen id take Stanley jean baptiste...

Strong won't be coming out for the next draft it seems. I haven't even been considering him, all indications are that he stays at ASU like Sutton did.

Promise if you watch Allen, you will begin to like the guy a lot. I know a lot of people like Baptiste because of his size and that he was a former WR, similar to Sherman, but when I've seen him play, I haven't really been impressed, he seems very raw, has stiff hips..etc. I've never really gotten on that bandwagon because I don't know that the measurables translate to the playing field. With Allen, he's an angry pest that will harass receivers all game long, get up in their faces, be physical with them, shows good technique and footwork. If he was 6 feet tall I'd say he'd be a late 1st rounder. I see Allen as the ideal guy to develop as the slot corner if the 49ers do indeed release Carlos Rogers.

I agree on strong but if he did and was around in the 2nd for us im all about drafting him..also agree the fact im very intrigued about baptiste measurable ..all honesty I haven't seen allen play 1 time..wat do you think about dequan jones from penn state..? he always shows up most on tape..another 1 is craig loston I like is bc hes big strong fast and the lsu connection with reid..knowing each others strength and weakness I think would be a good thing..
love it. if Sammy Watkins is my #1 favorite player in the draft, Justin Gilbert is #1B.

also love that you included Aaron Murray and Larsen
As a Notre Dame fan, love the TJ Jones pick. He has steadily progressed, and this year really stepped up as a leader on offense and as a player who can be counted on to make both clutch plays and big plays when they are needed.
Im just curious why you think we need a receiver like Moncrief? IMO we need a guy with a quick release, speed, route running, and great hands. I want a guy that has the speed to win the corner route 50% of the time and the route running to set down into soft zones and make some good catches. Ofcourse Moncrief can be taught route running but a quick release cannot be taught.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by eonblue:
Im just curious why you think we need a receiver like Moncrief? IMO we need a guy with a quick release, speed, route running, and great hands. I want a guy that has the speed to win the corner route 50% of the time and the route running to set down into soft zones and make some good catches. Ofcourse Moncrief can be taught route running but a quick release cannot be taught.

And who do you have in mind? IMO Moncrief, has all the tools gets good separation and goes up and gets the ball he would be perfect in the 9ers offense.
Originally posted by eonblue:

Physicality, good speed downfield, a nice redzone threat, a guy who can attack the ball in the air, has tremendous hands for doing so. Run after the catch ability and a guy who has beat up some of the top CB's in college football.

He's got a lot of the same tendencies as a guy like Josh Gordon without the headcase issues. I'm actually worried that he might move up a lot after the Combine, he's supposedly got a 40 inch vertical to along with 4.4 speed, so he's a freak pretty much but better polished in that he's gone up against top defenses his entire career. He certainly is worth a look to get coached up on his route runner.

If he had better, more consistent play at QB, he'd be talked about as a 1st round lock, Bo Wallace has been downright awful at times and you can see in the video below how many of the passes end up off-target or how Wallace was lured into several INT's, especially with his tendency to stare guys down being bad even for the college level, especially when you combine it with his long release.

Moncrief vs Eric Reid and the LSU defense.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM ]
With the Niners having the lowest producing passing offense, I think WR is the biggest need. You've addressed it well with Moncrief, etc. But the Niners need a true #1, not just a good player. On a championship team, Boldin would be a #3, Crabtree a #2.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
With the Niners having the lowest producing passing offense, I think WR is the biggest need. You've addressed it well with Moncrief, etc. But the Niners need a true #1, not just a good player. On a championship team, Boldin would be a #3, Crabtree a #2.

A championship team like the Baltimore Ravens....where Boldin was the #1 WR?

Crabtree is a #1 WR in the NFL, make no mistake about it, he's legit, he proved that last season. Put Crabtree on the Saints, Patriots, Packers or Panthers and he is the #1 WR on those teams. Boldin as a #2 is one of the very best in the NFL. What the 49ers need is a guy who can stretch the field deep and make big catches in the redzone, Moncrief fits that description. A WR corps of Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Moncrief, TJ Jones.....that's a pretty nice group and way better than what this team has had in recent years.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM ]

Crabtree is a #1 WR in the NFL, make no mistake about it, he's legit, he proved that last season. Put Crabtree on the Saints, Patriots, Packers or Panthers and he is the #1 WR on those teams. Boldin as a #2 is one of the very best in the NFL. What the 49ers need is a guy who can stretch the field deep and make big catches in the redzone, Moncrief fits that description. A WR corps of Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Moncrief, TJ Jones.....that's a pretty nice group and way better than what this team has had in recent years.

Paul Hofer, who would you take instead of Moncrief? The only other WR's who may be available at that point in the draft would be Jordan Mathews or Allen Robinson.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,600 for Paul_Hofer.

I believe Boldin was the #3 receiver for Baltimore.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Paul Hofer, who would you take instead of Moncrief? The only other WR's who may be available at that point in the draft would be Jordan Mathews or Allen Robinson.

I might go with both Moncrief and Odell Beckham. If the FO thinks Watkins is the man, then trade up whatever is needed, even present starters.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Nov 28, 2013 at 5:27 PM ]

He was their #1 receiver and had been since he arrived in Baltimore, regardless of where they put him on the field. When they needed big plays to be made in the playoffs, he was the guy they looked to.
I might go with both Moncrief and Odell Beckham. If the FO thinks Watkins is the man, then trade up whatever is needed, even present starters.

A team that rarely runs 3 WR sets doesn't need two high picks at WR. Not with Crabtree, Boldin, Patton already there. Not with many other pressing needs as well. What the 49ers need most is better coaching at the WR position. If they can acquire 1 WR early and then add another guy with potential in the middle-later rounds, that will be sufficient if they have the proper coaching.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

did you type that with a straight face?

He led the team in receptions in the regular season and post season last year. Torrey Smith was the #2 and Jacoby Jones was the #3. Even had more catches than TE Dennis Pitta.