There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Phoenix49ers Updated Mock Draft-Thanksgiving Edition

Okay, I've been working on this off and on for the past few days, assuming the 49ers use ALL of their picks which they most likely won't but I've tried to remove as much bias as I can and put together something fairly realistic with players that address the various needs on this team. There have been some big shifts in terms of where guys will end up. For example, Darqueze Dennard is a huge favorite of mine, I think he could very well end up as the best CB from this draft but I see him moving up earlier in the 1st round now so I've adjusted things a bit to compensate for that and other players who are having stellar seasons, subpar seasons, injuries and so on.

Round 1-Justin Gilbert-6'0", 200-CB-Oklahoma State. Gilbert is another favorite of mine, just like OTC I love the athleticism, ball-hawking, and versatility with his ability to contribute as a returner. He's been a very good quarterback, battle-tested against some explosives offenses, would be perfectly content with the 49ers drafting him in the 1st round, even if it might seem a bit of a reach, I expect him to be taken no later than the 5th or 6th pick of the 2nd round so its really not a bad jump at all.

Round 2-Donte Moncrief-6'3", 225-WR-Ole Miss. I'm honestly torn between Moncrief and Matthews, however I think Moncrief has a much better chance of falling here than Matthews does. Moncrief has everything you look for in a top WR, size, speed, great hands, outstanding athleticism. He's raw as a route runner and needs to be coached up, to me, whether or not this is a good pick depends on what the 49ers do with the WR coaching situation. I can't see how Morton has been effective, if they can find someone better to coach up a huge talent like Moncrief, the sky is the limit for this guy.

Round 2-Tre Boston-6'1", 200-CB/S-North Carolina. A true coverage safety, can play cornerback or safety, Boston provides tremendous versatility, you can move him around all over the defense, put him deep at safety, have him play as a slot cornerback, he's got good size and athleticism for the position, even if the 49ers were to re-sign Whitner they could certainly find a use for a guy like Boston.

Round 3-Tyler Larsen-6'4", 312-C-Utah State. To me, for the system that the 49ers run, this guy is the best C prospect they can get in the draft. He has been the anchor for the Aggies OL and is a very impressive prospect, solid as a run and pass blocker. If Kilgore can't handle the center duties for whatever reason, it would be nice to have this guy waiting in the wings.

Round 3-Ricardo Allen-5'9", 185-CB-Purdue. I think this is the only guy that has been in every single one of my mock drafts. I like him a lot, outstanding competitor, plays with a chip on his shoulder, talks trash like a mini-Sherman but backs it up out on the field, he's an ideal slot corner at the NFL level.

Round 3-Dri Archer-5'8", 175-RB/WR/KR/PR/EVERYTHING-Kent State. 49ers don't have a lot of speed on offense, even LaMichael James is more quick than fast. Archer meanwhile is a rocket, pure speed that can be utilized everywhere, returning kicks, returning punts, catching passes, running the ball and actually being able to utilize some of those outside runs successfully. He's definitely an explosive jitterbug that is difficult to take down in the open field. He would provide a clear infusion of explosiveness and deep speed to this offense assuming that the coaching staff used him properly.

Round 4-Aaron Murray-6'1", 210-QB-Georgia. A guy a lot of people have fallen in love with here, at this point in the draft, with many of the 49ers needs largely met, he represents very good value. Smart guy who would present an upgrade over Colt McCoy and could be relied on as a backup, even in his rookie season.

Round 5-TJ Jones-5'11", 190-WR-Note Dame. I like him a lot, he's been highly productive even with the lousy QB situation at Notre Dame. I'm thinking he might move up into the 4th round at some point but I think this is a good spot for him. Athletic, quick smaller receiver with a lot of upside.

Round 6-Spencer Long-6'4", 315-OG-Nebraska. If they could pick him up here, he'd be a tremendous steal, he wouldn't have to even play at all in 2014. He's got a tremendous amount of talent, very experienced, aggressive, plays with a chip on his shoulder, might not fall this far, but if he does, he represents a guy who could move into the starting lineup should Iupati not be re-signed. I'd go absolutely nuts if the 49ers pulled this pick off.

Round 7-Garrison Smith-6'3", 300-DE/DT-Georgia. Bring in a fellow Georgia guy to compete with Dobbs. Smith is terrific at holding the edge and shutting down the run. He's been a bright light on a beleaguered Georgia DL. Not a very good pass rusher, slow feet but a guy who plays with a very good motor, plays intelligently, a pure effort guy that Tomsula could definitely work with.

Round 7-Asa Watson-6'3", 230-TE-North Carolina. Watson fits the H-back mold pretty well. He's a guy with decent speed, athletic ability, his brother Ben already plays TE in the NFL for the Saints and previously played for the Patriots.

Alternatively..............Colt Lyerla, if still on the board, with many thinking he'll go undrafted, could be worth a shot here. If he blows it, oh well, didn't cost much, but if he gets his s**t together, maybe goes to rehab, he could be a huge boost to any team that adds him. He's got an awesome combination of size and speed, a very good all-around TE, combining him with VD and McDonald would basically be unfair for the rest of the league.

Round 7-Mister Cobble-6'0", 345-NT-Kentucky. More competition for the DL, Cobble is a guy I've liked for awhile now, he's undersized as a NT, only 6 feet tall but plays with tremendous leverage and for a guy packing as much weight as he does on to his frame, he has remarkably quick feet. He's a pure run stopper all the way, shows outstanding power and a good motor. I'd love to see him compete for a spot on this defense, I feel similar about Cobble as I did about another defensive lineman from the state of Kentucky in the 2013 draft and that was Chris Jones who went to the Patriots and has played very well thus far.

Jacques Washington-6'1", 220-SS-Iowa State. Washington is very versatile, he has played running back and cornerback in the past. He's a smart player with good awareness, loves to hit, his footwork and coverage skills need to improve but if nothing else, he could fight for a role on the special teams unit, an aggressive head hunter like him can always be useful.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 26, 2013 at 4:22 PM ]
Very strong draft top to bottom. Like the way you attacked all the major needs through round 3. 2 WR's and 3 secondary picks plus a solid C to take over for Goodwin would be a great haul. Murray and Long would be great value/injured prospects, too. Nice work.
like it a lot..i agree with u about dennard and also agree gilbert is my next best corner..im ok with moncrief tho id rather jalen strong from asu ..you filled all the needs love the archer pick..another Id like 2 switch is instead of ricardo allen id take Stanley jean baptiste...
Nice work here. Seriously, I'm taking notes and remembering some of these names for next year's draft. I used to be able to watch more college football and scout these playes like you do - having kids, though, I just get to watch the Niners and some Sun. & Mon. Night football and that's it. So, thank you for these Niner mock drafts!
Originally posted by jersey49er:
like it a lot..i agree with u about dennard and also agree gilbert is my next best corner..im ok with moncrief tho id rather jalen strong from asu ..you filled all the needs love the archer pick..another Id like 2 switch is instead of ricardo allen id take Stanley jean baptiste...

Strong won't be coming out for the next draft it seems. I haven't even been considering him, all indications are that he stays at ASU like Sutton did.

Promise if you watch Allen, you will begin to like the guy a lot. I know a lot of people like Baptiste because of his size and that he was a former WR, similar to Sherman, but when I've seen him play, I haven't really been impressed, he seems very raw, has stiff hips..etc. I've never really gotten on that bandwagon because I don't know that the measurables translate to the playing field. With Allen, he's an angry pest that will harass receivers all game long, get up in their faces, be physical with them, shows good technique and footwork. If he was 6 feet tall I'd say he'd be a late 1st rounder. I see Allen as the ideal guy to develop as the slot corner if the 49ers do indeed release Carlos Rogers.
Nice mock
Nice. I think we need a nose tackle earlier though. I want a beasty stout guy in the middle.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Nice. I think we need a nose tackle earlier though. I want a beasty stout guy in the middle.

I thought about that too and I'm a big proponent of it but with Tomsula's success in getting the most out of the guys he coaches, I think he could very well work wonders with a guy like Cobble who is very stout at the point of attack and is an outstanding run defender. I feel very strongly about Cobble, see a lot to like in him, pairing him with Tomsula would be tremendous. By the same token, Garrison Smith is also a very good run defender, like Cobble he won't bring much in the way of pass rush but I'd like to see him compete with Dial, Dobbs, TJE and see who the best guy is. Smith is also very bright, seems to have a good grasp for where an offense is going to be attacking, he certainly needs some coaching up but that isn't an issue with the DL players.

Great mock Phoenix. Love your analysis of Ricardo. As a Purdue fan, I've seen almost every game of his. He's been a starter from his first game. He's feisty and won't back down from anyone. He plays like he thinks he's a 6'3 and 235lbs corner and thinks every ball up in air is his. Has the school record of INTs returned for TDs too. He has added value since he's done some PR duties and he plays on special teams coverage units. He's not brought up alot cause Purdue's D has been so horrendous. Love that you're on the Ricardo bandwagon.

Also love the Gilbert pick (you said he's been a very good qb though lol). Like the Moncrief pick (or Matthews if he's there). Dri Archer is the MACs version of De'anthony Thomas. Like that you went for a QB high. I like that you said to possibly take a flier on Colt Lyerla. He's a freak and may as well take a chance on a kid, who has a ton of potential that, late in the draft. Also dig the Mister Cobble pick based solely on name alone. And you comparing him to Chris Jones (who you gave us a heads up about last year) is a pretty good compliment, if he pans out the same.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Nov 26, 2013 at 6:04 PM ]
I absolutely love the first three picks. All favorites of mine .
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I absolutely love the first three picks. All favorites of mine .

I'm actually surprised that Boston doesn't get more attention on here, put him next to Reid and you've got two very good coverage safeties, or if Whitner is re-signed, Boston can play slot corner and more.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I will go no further on the debate Pro Style vs. Gimmick QB, your Mock Draft very much pleases me!!!

With that said, I think Aaron Murray will drop a little farther than the 4th round, his height and ACL will be major factors, yes I said height. I think at best and healthy he would be a High-3rd round pick, so IMO I think he'll slide to the 6th-7th.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I will go no further on the debate Pro Style vs. Gimmick QB, your Mock Draft very much pleases me!!!

With that said, I think Aaron Murray will drop a little farther than the 4th round, his height and ACL will be major factors, yes I said height. I think at best and healthy he would be a High-3rd round pick, so IMO I think he'll slide to the 6th-7th.

I don't know that he'll fall that far honestly, there's too much demand for talented QB's, hell forget starters, talented backup QB's even, after seeing Rodgers go down, I think having a quality QB on deck will be on a lot of team's minds. At this point, Murray is great value in the 4th round, he's a guy who has decent athleticism but he wasn't known for his mobility, a torn ACL does little to diminish his value in the pocket. I honestly think he'll go in the 5th round and since the 49ers are picking late in the 4th, might as well get him there rather than risk it.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Very, very realistic mock draft.

You get coachable talent, but players that can immediate contribute, along with others for the 2015 pipeline.

With Brown, Rogers, and Cox (official) most likely on their way out in 2014, we need to aggressive draft cornerbacks.

Great job!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I don't know that he'll fall that far honestly, there's too much demand for talented QB's, hell forget starters, talented backup QB's even, after seeing Rodgers go down, I think having a quality QB on deck will be on a lot of team's minds. At this point, Murray is great value in the 4th round, he's a guy who has decent athleticism but he wasn't known for his mobility, a torn ACL does little to diminish his value in the pocket. I honestly think he'll go in the 5th round and since the 49ers are picking late in the 4th, might as well get him there rather than risk it.

Good points made. My favorite picks BESIDES Murray , Absolutely love Justin Gilbert and Ricardo Allen, both CB's who I'd love to see side by side. And Donte Moncrief man that dude is a beast, if he has a good 40.....bye bye, reminds me of AJ Green and that wouldn't be too bad to have next to Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham and Patton. Spencer Larson would be a big steal in the draft and would love to see him replace that bonehead Joe Looney. Anyway awesome Mock great minds think a like when we're not different!!!