There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Baalke Has a Fetish for Drafting Injured Players

Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
Most rookie contracts are for only 4 years, so getting no production out of a draft pick for one year is significant.

Is that glass half empty or half full ?

Less production also means that said rookie has less leverage in negotiating his second contract.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
We have the luxury of taking injured players in the draft because the team is so deep and we stockpile draft picks. We got great value with Carradine and Lattimore. I don't have a problem with it.

Really the only mistake Baalke made was drafting Jenkins. That pick hurt us because we desperately needed a wideout with speed and he failed miserably. It happens even to the best GMs. I give Baalke the benifit of the doubt.

Taking Jenkins over Reyes, Wolfe, etc was bad. I also think taking LMJ was a mistake because we already have hunter. Trading away TY Hilton and Justin Hunter are grave mistakes, IMO
Its about getting high potential players in value spots. Its not about injuries, its about getting a 1st round talent like Lattimore or Carradine without using a 1st rounder.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Sometimes taking injured players who fell in the draft can pay big dividends later on. I think we used a similar strategy in 1986. We were already a talented team and took a chance on two guys named Brent Jones and Kevin f*gan. Jones was drafted by the Steelers and was cut shortly after he was injured in a car accident. They both missed their rookie years but ended up being big time players for us.

Kevin f*gan

That cracks me up every time too lol.
Sometimes the shortsighted nature of the posters on this site astounds me.

The 49ers are getting contributions from the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks (Tho Patton was brief before he got hurt).

Are we seriously complaining about EXTRA picks we had in 2 of those rounds on players who if healthy would have been drafted far higher?

Seriously?

My bet is you are gonna hate next year too. Meanwhile, I'll be looking forward to seeing Tank Carradine and Marcus Lattimore completely healthy and aquired for far less than they would have otherwise.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Its about getting high potential players in value spots. Its not about injuries, its about getting a 1st round talent like Lattimore or Carradine without using a 1st rounder.

This. Its how good teams STAY good. They draft VALUE.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Disp:
But is it a weird fetish like Rex Ryan's foot fetish or German scat fetishes? If not then I'm ok with it.
We also have a building-nice-cars fetish, as opposed to the US

what does "scat" stand for???

See the pooping thread in the PL
It is his second half of the season team. He knows draft picks couldn't contribute to our 53 man at the beginning of the season. So put a bunch of talented dudes on PUP and then bring them in when your vets go on IR.
actually his fetish is for your moms butthole
If a team is as stocked as we are - why not take a chance on a player who could turn out to be a major contributor.

There are a number of players he may take a look at in next year's draft too.
Disagree...if you listen to the astute draft experts they'll tell you it's smart to take players like Lattimore, Carradine, Marquardt, etc. when you have a roster as deep as the Niners do. Mike Mayock was ecstatic when Baalke took Lattimore...because he knew they were already deep at RB and he could rehab the full year and be ready to go for the 2014 season. Same rationale taking Carradine...Justin Smith isn't going to play forever and eventually Tank will likely replace him. Same with Marquardt...we really don't have a full-time swing OT, so big Luke can fill that role. Yes, we could use Boone, but then you leave a hole at RG. It's actually very smart drafting...you're stockpiling good players because you know injuries, FA and other things will happen.
Especially when you consider some of our best players gradually earned their role: McDonald, Brooks, Boone, Kaepernick, Brown, Brock, Bowman. The fact that someone doesn't contribute immediately is zero indication of how valuable they will be to the team.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erReign:
It is his second half of the season team. He knows draft picks couldn't contribute to our 53 man at the beginning of the season. So put a bunch of talented dudes on PUP and then bring them in when your vets go on IR.
Bingo. As it was, we lost Cooper because we couldn't fit him on the 53. The more PUP or IR players we have, the more players we can carry on our roster. Personally, I think we need to combine picks so that we have fewer of them. A few 1st rounders is better than lots of mid rounders for this team. The problem is that you need a trade partner. We would probably have to "overpay" in order to consolidate to a good pick or 2.
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
I think Baalke overdoes it with drafting injured players. This year, we used a 2nd, a 4th and a 5th on injured players who haven't helped us this year at all. Last year, he did the same thing with Joe Looney and Cam Johnson. Most rookie contracts are for only 4 years, so getting no production out of a draft pick for one year is significant. When you add in that we have hardly used high draft picks like LaMichael James for two years, and got nothing out of A.J. Jenkins, we are killing ourselves by under-utilizing our draft picks. It doesn't help to accumulate all these draft picks if a lot of them are hardly ever on the field.

I agree with you. The Lattimore pick in the 4th I liked because it was a compensatory pick and cannot be traded and he's worth a redshirt and eventually take over for gore gamble. Its worth it but about that Tank dude, I sooo hated that pick. We needed a DE with size to give Justin & RayMac breathers, someone like Kendall Reyes the year before!!!!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I wish it was just a foot-fetish instead

Originally posted by crabman82:
actually his fetish is for your moms butthole

Daaaaaaaamn!!!